SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:19 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by runner1021
I think we have a new standard for "butt ugly".
reminds me of the original Tron movie and the flying U-shaped things, in that era of resolution also.

Last edited by nicoli; 03-09-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:28 PM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !

Old 03-09-2014, 03:45 PM
joseph_number1 is infamous around these parts
"Objects in Mirror are losing"

Originally Posted by HotHonda

Where did you get that?! I love it, lol.

Last edited by joseph_number1; 03-09-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 03-09-2014, 03:46 PM
joseph_number1 is infamous around these parts
Btw, what's the red on the bottom portion of the stalk?

Old 03-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Bacca911 is infamous around these partsBacca911 is infamous around these parts
Yeah what is that?

Old 03-09-2014, 05:34 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Same here.
The issue is really noticeable and annoying in case of sustained high speed (i.e. >120 mph) and it may be the reason why people perceive it differently. For instance, it is very annoying on the backstraight on Road Atlanta or at VIR but is really not on 'slower' tracks like Barber or AMP.
I gave up on finding a fix and was going to wait for the sport mirrors retrofit. Not planning to do it immediately and will wait to hear feedback from new owners who have picked the option.
What kind of makeshift things did you guys try? I was thinking of taking some sail repair sticky back cloth and taping it from window frame to mirror. Figured it would bend easily when opening door and (hopefully) push air up and out from the critical buffeting channel?

Old 03-09-2014, 06:24 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Thanks for the rear view mirror pic, Steve
Had it on a couple of cars in fact (911, GTI...) for a while

Originally Posted by joseph_number1
Where did you get that?! I love it, lol.
Amazon (or even eBay) is your friend. Tons of different options... even one with the Porsche logo

Old 03-09-2014, 06:27 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fbroen
What kind of makeshift things did you guys try? I was thinking of taking some sail repair sticky back cloth and taping it from window frame to mirror. Figured it would bend easily when opening door and (hopefully) push air up and out from the critical buffeting channel?
Duct tape and any kind of deflector shaped piece of plastic somewhere around only one of the mirrors does the trick. But I do not like stuff that could drop on the track and did not try any further.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Could not make it to the BMW track event last week end but a friend sent me the attached pic:

Yes, there was a Leaf on the track and, judging from the color of the numbers on the windshield, it seemed to be in the instructors group

I'll see if I can find more pics or lap times...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13041387595_33bbe75ebd_z.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	347165  
Old 03-14-2014, 07:14 PM
Went for a free preview of 'Need for Speed' last night at the last remaining Drive In theater in Atlanta. Members of the Ferrari Club and PCA were expected but I do not think I have seen more than a dozen P-cars, 2 Ferrari's and a couple of Lambo's.

The movie was -mildly- entertaining and, despite showing the unfortunate consequences, some kind of praise of street racing. Not to mention that there wasn't any P-car (with the exception of a 944 is a short sequence)
Not that bad, but as far as pretrolhead movies are concerned, Rush was a million times better.

Name:	13139525185_74d1ec1ac2_z.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	347205  
Old 03-14-2014, 08:09 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Australian F1 practice session #2 the cars are guttural and deep sounding with a few bangs and pops on deacc. Very different......hmmm.
Cars are faster but with less mechanical grip they lap slower.
omg the engines sound like shiiit ....Jean Todt needs to be bull whipped, bowing to political correctness. F1 has been castrated. Merci Jean.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:16 PM
2014 vs 2013...

Opinions are split. Some are happy not to have to wear earplugs anymore, others swear they heard a landmower on the track

Anyway, I'll be watching the 12 hours of Sebring tomorrow (from home). I'll plan on being at COTA in September to see the 919 in the flesh, spanking Audi's and Toyota's.
BTW, I never realized how BIG the 911 was until I saw this pic :

Name:	13159450694_f54730f1db_z.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	347289  

Last edited by SM_ATL; 03-14-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:52 PM
New LED side markers

Installed the clear 'Turbo' LED side markers a couple of weeks ago. I already had clear side markers but got to have the new ones. Very easy to swap but disappointed by the quality of the part with a big mold gate mark visible on the top. Almost impossible to see once installed, but I know it's there. The old side markers were better finished. I know, I am splitting hairs here...

Name:	13156346774_bcfc0e68d2_z.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	347293  
Old 03-15-2014, 08:27 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
[QUOTE=SM_ATL;4068622]New LED side markers

Installed the clear 'Turbo' LED side markers a couple of weeks ago. I already had clear side markers but got to have the new ones. Very easy to swap but disappointed by the quality of the part with a big mold gate mark visible on the top. Almost impossible to see once installed, but I know it's there. The old side markers were better finished. I know, I am splitting hairs here.../QUOTE]

There goes your concours chances.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
There goes your concours chances.

With no disrespect for the gentleman on the picture, but this is SO never going to happen...

Name:	13170724775_b426a0cbc8_z.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	347345  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal