SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:15 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Isn't this a downgrade from the R888s you used to run? The biggest issue I have with non-R comp is that they can't hold on enough in braking. One issue I am having is understeer. I've got 235/295 R888s (245s were out of stock and they don't make 255). I'm wondering if part of my problem is that I need a wider tire up front. Thanks for all the updates - this thread is awesome!
Yes it is a 'downgrade' from R888's. I explained in a previous post that I wanted to go back to street tires (but as close as possible to a track tire...) to save some $$, be able to travel to remote tracks (I do not have a trailer to carry a spare set of wheels) and, maybe most of all, reassess my driving skills. r-comps make you a faster driver but I am afraid I could have learned more by staying longer on street tires. I'll find out soon.

I was on 235 R888's too but since 255 AD08R were available, I went wider rather than narrower and see if it benefitted the handling. I will know soon too...

Old 03-26-2014, 11:20 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Re understeer, try trail braking harder and more often. The 991S is very forgiving on such application.
Very true. Somehow, the 991 is a great car to learn because it is forgiving and progressive. It lets you test the limits with limited risks. I realized it last November when I tracked an E36 M3 for the first time (no nannies, no ABS, etc,). It was a ton of fun and a great chassis, but, despite the fact that the 991 is rear engined, it snaps much sooner

Old 03-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by LaneS@MAcarbon
Awesome track pictures! I love the way the BBS wheels look on your 991.
Thanks.
As a side note, I re-used the red 'RS' center caps I had on my previous (red) track wheel set. Looks a bit like a clown's red nose. No sure I am going to keep them on the long run

Old 03-27-2014, 08:21 AM
The Porsche 919 was there!!!

While the Twelve Hours of Sebring may no longer be a round of the series, a number of teams from the FIA World Endurance Championship were at Sebring early March. Both Audi Sport Team Joest and Porsche Team have unleashed their brand-new LMP1 cars for the private test. It is first direct on-track test between the two manufacturers

Youtube users "Lanky Turtle" has posted a nice video including a few more goodies like the Factory Porsche 911 RSR.

If we only knew, we would not have had to wait until September to see the 919 in the flesh at COTA

Old 03-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Porsche Fix for the GT3 fires

Swung by at my local dealership the other day and there was a nice GT3 that will unfortunately have to wait a few more weeks to get delivered.

Taking a peek through the window I noticed that Porsche has apparently added a standard feature on the new GT3. Take a look at what is installed at the feet of the passenger and you'll see that we should not worry about fires anymore.

Isn't it much simpler than an engine swap?

OK: this is not very smart, neither is it nice to our friends who are waiting for their GT3's, but I had to post it

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13388515905_445a326b87_z.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	352764   Click image for larger version

Name:	13388513515_33a916d51c_z.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	352765  
Old 03-29-2014, 09:54 PM
The Track Police

Spent the day at Barber MS with Chin Motorsports and Forged Performance was there with their shop GT-R disguised as a police cruiser (pic from TX2K14):

Keeping up with Godzilla -driven by a good driver- is always a challenge, no matter what car you drive, but thinking it could be a police car gave an extra incentive
Here's a video I recorded this afternoon. Please forgive me for the dated soundtrack

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13497988885_84c6d53123_z.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	352777   Click image for larger version

Name:	13498091233_74ea014c9a_z.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	352778   Click image for larger version

Name:	13497988885_84c6d53123_z.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	352780   Click image for larger version

Name:	13498091233_74ea014c9a_z.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	352781  

Last edited by SM_ATL; 03-29-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:05 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Is that the track map I see on your nav screen?

Old 03-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by BradB
Is that the track map I see on your nav screen?
Yes. When you switch to Sport Display and are using the Chrono function, your screen shows the trajectory of your car (=track map once you have been around it).

Old 03-29-2014, 10:16 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Yes. When you switch to Sport Display and are using the Chrono function, your screen shows the trajectory of your car (=track map once you have been around it).
Really? That's so cool. More I can play with come my first track event of the season.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by BradB
Really? That's so cool. More I can play with come my first track event of the season.
Yep. And if you just plug a USB drive in your glovebox, you can download a lot of data to analyze your laps (GPS position, speed, rpm's, throttle, gear etc.).
You can then merge the data you have recorded (or data from Harry Laptimer's) with your GoPro footage using the RaceRender software (on a Mac, do not know what the equivalent is on PC). Hours of fun after the track too!

Old 03-29-2014, 10:44 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
How did the AD08Rs hold up?

Old 03-29-2014, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by STALKER
How did the AD08Rs hold up?
Very early feedback:

-we got rain for 2/3rd of the day and Michelin PSS would have done better (slightly better grip, better feel of the limit before hydroplaning). Anyhow, a lot better than R888's in the wet.

-last 75 min session was in the dry: definitely less grip than R888's (but this was expected) and similar initial grip to PSS (to be confirmed tomorrow after more sessions in the dry). Seems to hold up better through an entire session as the tire heats up. You can feel that you are losing some grip over time, but not as much as with PSS.

-still very progressive, smooth and easy to control when you start losing traction

-feels best between 36 and 38 psi

-stiff sidewalls and broad shoulders may help with durability.

So far seems to be a good option if you want to go to the track with performance street tires. Probably costing me ~1s per lap compared to R888's but not frustrating and having a bit more of sideways action is fun too.

More to follow after tomorrow. Should be a full day on dry pavement

Old 03-30-2014, 05:07 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
While the Twelve Hours of Sebring may no longer be a round of the series, a number of teams from the FIA World Endurance Championship were at Sebring early March. Both Audi Sport Team Joest and Porsche Team have unleashed their brand-new LMP1 cars for the private test. It is first direct on-track test between the two manufacturers

Youtube users "Lanky Turtle" has posted a nice video including a few more goodies like the Factory Porsche 911 RSR.

http://youtu.be/xyM79Nq9cUA

If we only knew, we would not have had to wait until September to see the 919 in the flesh at COTA
That was great!! Thanks for posting. LMP1 can really pull away out of the corners.

ChuckJ

Old 03-30-2014, 08:45 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Very early feedback:

-we got rain for 2/3rd of the day and Michelin PSS would have done better (slightly better grip, better feel of the limit before hydroplaning). Anyhow, a lot better than R888's in the wet.

-last 75 min session was in the dry: definitely less grip than R888's (but this was expected) and similar initial grip to PSS (to be confirmed tomorrow after more sessions in the dry). Seems to hold up better through an entire session as the tire heats up. You can feel that you are losing some grip over time, but not as much as with PSS.

-still very progressive, smooth and easy to control when you start losing traction

-feels best between 36 and 38 psi

-stiff sidewalls and broad shoulders may help with durability.

So far seems to be a good option if you want to go to the track with performance street tires. Probably costing me ~1s per lap compared to R888's but not frustrating and having a bit more of sideways action is fun too.

More to follow after tomorrow. Should be a full day on dry pavement
Thanks for sharing.
Mid corner under steer under throttle? You feel more bite running the 255 tire?

Old 03-30-2014, 08:57 AM
Some improvement with the 255 (or because of the Yoko's?). Noticeable at the hairpin and museum turn at Barber. You can give more steering input and throttle and get better exit speed. But let's say it's a "10%" improvement (good tweak but does not fundamentally change the car handling and this is good).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal