SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:12 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by LaneS@MAcarbon
I love the way the BBS wheels look on your 991.
Second that. I realize you didn't buy these for looks, but they sure work in that department, too.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:43 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fbroen
Second that. I realize you didn't buy these for looks, but they sure work in that department, too.
Went for them mostly for their robustness, then for the looks. Did not give much consideration to weight. I got a big scare when one of my aftermarket rims broke on the track and decided to go for BBS's that may be heavier than other options but that are very strong.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:09 AM
FrstPorsche is infamous around these parts
ATL, did you do a back to back sound clip of the PSE vs AWE? Thinking of getting AWE but would like to hear it close to PSE sound. Thx

Old 03-31-2014, 11:57 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
ATL, did you do a back to back sound clip of the PSE vs AWE? Thinking of getting AWE but would like to hear it close to PSE sound. Thx
I'll try to edit a few fly by's and post on YouTube tonight

Old 03-31-2014, 11:59 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Great driving, Serge: I love that K9 car.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
I'll try to edit a few fly by's and post on YouTube tonight
You the man

Old 03-31-2014, 08:26 PM
Here's what I have been able to put quickly together. There is unfortunately a bit too much wind noise and recording conditions were not exactly the same.
The AWE SwithPath Exhaust (in 'sport' mode) is louder, a bit more raspier/F1-esque (before the 2014 regulations) and with an abundance of pops and gargles at downshift. In quiet mode, the PSE and AWE exhaust sound the same, which is a good thing for quieter commute.

Hope it helps a bit. At the risk of repeating myself, the AWE system is the best (affordable) switchable exhaust currently available. So far it has only had very good reviews.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 AM
Terrific! Thanks a ton!

Old 04-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Here's another version of the 'Silhouette' iPhone 5S wallpaper. Just in case you like it better...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13563097653_bac62e51ec_o.jpg
Views:	4056
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	353702  
Old 04-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Ordered the AWE system this morning. They owe you some compensation for free advertising.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Ordered the AWE system this morning. They owe you some compensation for free advertising.
Cool. You'll see it growing on you even more once it is installed.
I am very happy to advertise when I am pleased with a product. Doing it more for the forum members than to be nice to AWE

Old 04-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Valet parking has been discussed in many threads. I can across this commercial I had not seen before. Give a tip... and park you P-car yourself.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Could use a bit of detailing advice...

I am a complete noob when it comes to detailing. After a week of bad treatment (rain, dirt and track duty), I have some kind of dark dirt layer that seems 'baked' into the paint -probably the wax I guess-. Very little success with regular shampoo unless I scrub very hard and am worried I would scratch the clearcoat.
I know they are a bunch of detail wizards on the forum. Would one of them chime in and recommend what cleaning product I should use?

Here's a pic of my rear wing. I forced the contrast of the photograph to make the dirt more visible.

Thanks a lot for any suggestion ou may have!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13568199744_0d68a5ab20_z.jpg
Views:	1106
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	354197  
Old 04-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Serge,

After washing the car, I'd spray the rear of the car down with this:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Auto-...-ml_p_780.html

Let it sit for about 5 minutes. Spray it off. This will clean out any rail dust or metals embedded in the clear coat.

Next, clay bar will most likely get the rest out. I've ditched my clay and exclusively use Nanoskin Auto Scrub as it is a cleaner, quicker alternative.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/NanoS...itt_p_908.html

http://www.detailersdomain.com/NanoS...ant_p_705.html

This combo will remove any wax from the paint. You may want to pull the car out into the sun the check for swirls/marring after doing this. If the clear is marred, you are going to need to polish. You may want to consider using a sealant rather than a wax for the heat/dirt you're experiencing from the track. It may limit the build up you're experiencing. I love, love this stuff:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/SONAX...ld-_p_814.html

Use code BMW to get 10% off at Detailer's Domain.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks a lot for your help Matt!
I should have remembered that you are quite the man when it comes to an immaculate car (and garage!). I'll go ahead and order from DetailersDomain. Your response made me remember that I had ordered a few things from them during my Audi time and their service and follow up was great (Philip had a nice black S4 if my memory is correct).

Keep adding to your Journal, I have subscribed to avoid missing posts and it is a format I have always enjoyed -as you may have noticed- as it gives a personal touch and allows to follow the progress on a project.
We could have a had a few more interesting examples if Tom 991S had followed the main path in documenting the cool mods he has on his 991 (Tom, if you read this, it is never too late )

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal