SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:28 PM
does195 is infamous around these parts
Question. You running stock springs?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by STALKER
AD08R have a wear rating of 180 I think, which is pretty low. I think even the new Sport Cup 2s have a 180 rating. But each brand has its own way of rating wear, so not sure if we can compare accurately across brands.

Was just a thought I threw out there regarding PDCC and tire wear when driven hard. All the energy/heat has to go somewhere...
You are right about the 180 wear rating of the AD08R (being the same as the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2) compared to a 300 wear rating for the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. But, as you also rightly mention, I take wear ratings with a big grain of salt. With the current rating system, the AD08R could have an actual rating of 300 but being rated 180 by Yoko to make people believe that they are 'softer and stickier'. Not saying it is the case at all, but manufacturers can understate the rating if they wish. So the actual live/track comparison of tires is the only one that makes sense. FWIW, here's a shortcut to a C&D comparo from last year: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test. The Yoko's were the "old" AD08, and I do not necessarily trust this type of article but the comparison between the PSS and AD08 is close to what I have observed.

I have not read any reviews about the Sport Cup 2's, but at ~$2,100 a set they better be great.

I am with you on the 'energy/heat' having to go somewhere when you go faster... and the tire is where the rubber his the road

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Are you gong faster?
I was going as fast that week end than friends with similar cars and skills equipped with R888 last November and maybe a bit less than 2 seconds quicker than with PSS. Not sure what can be really attributed to the tires though with (very) amateur drivers like us. I see the value of the AD08R more in the consistency of their performance than sheer speed/lap time improvements.

Back to the PDCC, I also feel I am going faster than with my previous 991S that did not have it, but again, I have no solid evidence of it.

Originally Posted by does195
Question. You running stock springs?
Stock SPASM + PDCC. Would not want to alter the suspension at this point. I am sure I can still make a lot of progress before I am able to use 100% of the car and only then would I consider modifications. I had tried SpeedArt/H&R springs on my first PASM/no-PDCC 991S and they were an improvement in looks and handling.

Last edited by SM_ATL; 04-09-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Leverageconsult is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Tint

Got tint done this week by Brian at Sun Tinting in Alpharetta (4th car they do for me, always a great job).
Went for 35% ceramic for side- and backlites, nothing on the windshield. Looks better, less heat during the Summer and a bit more privacy.

Just little friendly advise. If you tint your taillights and someone rear ends you, even though typically it would be there fault they could claim your tail was tinted and that caused the accident. I love the look but too many *******s looking to make a buck.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6898860551_ac6ff111e1.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	357989   Click image for larger version

Name:	6898859449_0a0853f638.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	357990  
Old 04-10-2014, 02:02 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Leverageconsult
Just little friendly advise. If you tint your taillights and someone rear ends you, even though typically it would be there fault they could claim your tail was tinted and that caused the accident. I love the look but too many *******s looking to make a buck.
Thanks for the advice, point well taken. On my first and second 991, I just got tint on side and back windows but nothing on taillights.

For those who want to apply some kind of tint on their taillights, there are more sophisticated options than the standard charcoal Lamin-X film.

Here's a custom taillight 'paint' job done by a dealership on the car of a fellow Atlantan :

Maybe this would be a more elegant and less risky option.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13764970595_039210e59d_z.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	358193   Click image for larger version

Name:	13764945093_4c22684d80_z.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	358194  
Old 04-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Serge, hope you don't mind me interjecting.

Thought some people might want to see this. Our friends out at TAG Motorsports just released some solid representation of our SwitchPath Exhaust on the 991 4S Cab… enjoy!

Old 04-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zack/AWE
Serge, hope you don't mind me interjecting. Thought some people might want to see this. Our friends out at TAG Motorsports just released some solid representation of our SwitchPath Exhaust on the 991 4S Cab… enjoy! Video Link: http://youtu.be/ZoArFyZaWQE
Dammit!
I mind!
You may be costing me an extra $2k+!!

Old 04-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Former Vendor
SupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
Dammit!
I mind!
You may be costing me an extra $2k+!!
@Chupacabra: We have them on sale....MSRP $2595 and sale would be at $2387 if you are interested (AWE Tuning Porsche 991 SwitchPath™ Exhaust, for PSE cars (no tips))

Old 04-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Dammit!!
You too!!
You'd just be saving me enough for a couple tanks of gas.
I may send a PM

Sorry for the hijack Serge!!

Old 04-10-2014, 05:03 PM
No worries Zack, Eric & Chup!
I liked the video a lot and it does justice to a good product.

Another thing came to my mind which us the fact that you too put quite a few miles on your 991. This means that you would enjoy your exhaust a lot more than most people do
Not sure there is a lot of logic to this though...

Old 04-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SupremePower
@Chupacabra: We have them on sale....MSRP $2595 and sale would be at $2387 if you are interested (AWE Tuning Porsche 991 SwitchPath™ Exhaust, for PSE cars (no tips))
Just what I needed a sale, sigh... Does that include shipping, and do you have them in stock?

Old 04-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
Dammit!!
You too!!
You'd just be saving me enough for a couple tanks of gas.
I may send a PM

Sorry for the hijack Serge!!
You buy it first. That way I can come and listen to it. Maybe they'll give us a special Orlando discount if we order two...

Old 04-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Money2536
You buy it first. That way I can come and listen to it. Maybe they'll give us a special Orlando discount if we order two...
Dammit!!
You two/too/three!!

Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 AM
FrstPorsche is infamous around these parts
I ordered the exhaust two weeks ago. After it gets here and installed ill do a PSE/AWE comparison clip.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:27 AM
MayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud of
Not much we can do here, as the standard PSE (and non) is already pushing the limits of the 90dB limit at Laguna Seca (I've even blown 92dB). I wish my S4 had a little more noise aside from the silly synthetic one. That's something that concerns me about the new M3. I hope they make it sound good without resorting to faking it.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:39 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Not much we can do here, as the standard PSE (and non) is already pushing the limits of the 90dB limit at Laguna Seca (I've even blown 92dB). I wish my S4 had a little more noise aside from the silly synthetic one. That's something that concerns me about the new M3. I hope they make it sound good without resorting to faking it.

The intake sound being piped in to the interior via the "sound symposer" is not synthetic (pathetic maybe, but real).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal