SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:23 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Lucky man, I wanted to go to this event but was sadly out of town.
I still have an extra free T-shirt if you want, but it looked a bit cheapo

Old 05-27-2014, 09:44 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
7 errors game ?

Hank Moody has been back on TV for several weeks now and I am catching up with the 7th season of Californication.
For other fans of this show, we have already established that Hank drove a 1990 964 Cab, a 996 Cab for less than one episode and Runkle's 997S Cab in season 5.

In season 6 he moved on to a 991S Cab you can see on this picture:

In season 7, he is supposedly driving the same car:

This is where you can start playing the 7 errors game between season 6 and 7
The production clearly took care of using a similar Black 991S Cab, but for this year, Hank got the full leather option and traded his Sportdesign steering wheel for a multifunction steering wheel.

This is the point where you rightfully tell me I have better things to do in life than dissecting the mere details of a TV show, but this is how deep my car addiction runs (and yes, I ran a Carfax on the license plate and it is of course fake)

As opposed to the first seasons, you can be sure that the newer black 911 is now a product placement by Porsche. The car is too clean and there are too many close shots showing the Porsche logo etc.

BTW, if you have a Porsche placement opportunity in your next movie, here's the guy who received the exclusivity from PNA: http://www.studioservices.com. The 911 pic he has on his website is in fact Charlie/Hank's 997S from season 5.
He got it wrong though when he describes characters who drive a P-car: "Typically, a 911 Porsche film character is a professional athlete, or a successful business or professional person who is financially secure with refined tastes. The 911 Porsche customers have studied, reviewed, analyzed and compared before making their purchase. By driving a Porsche, your film character will convey to the audience that he or she is serious, meticulous and discriminating in choosing an automobile". Not sure this description would really apply to Moody, but I would take his talent and success with women over being a 'meticulous athlete'...

In a recent interview, David Duchovny talked about the last day on the set (season 7 is the final season of the show) : "I was alone on that promontory by LAX where we like to shoot, where we watch the planes take off and land. It was just me and the Porsche. I had to say goodbye to the Porsche! That was very difficult. " He mostly referred to the end of the show, but I like to believe that he will miss his ride. At $200k per episode he can probably afford one though even if it is not much compared to the $M 1.25 made by Charlie Sheen, who, as opposed to Hank, I will not be missing.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14100993298_7d9b119b11_z.jpg
Views:	5561
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	379360   Click image for larger version

Name:	14100949307_1963c7f073_z.jpg
Views:	21510
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	379361  

Last edited by SM_ATL; 05-28-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:47 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
I still have an extra free T-shirt if you want, but it looked a bit cheapo
Only if it comes with one of those models wearing it

Old 05-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Only if it comes with one of those models wearing it
I said the T-shirt was free, the model definitely isn't

Old 06-04-2014, 06:27 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Yes. When you switch to Sport Display and are using the Chrono function, your screen shows the trajectory of your car (=track map once you have been around it).
I've been playing with the Sport Display a little around the neighborhood. Have you used the Intervals part of the Sport Display? I can't seem to figure that out.

Also, when you download the data onto a USB stick, is any software required to view the data? (I have a Mac) Do you get a track map graphic? I admit, I haven't tried this yet.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by BradB
I've been playing with the Sport Display a little around the neighborhood. Have you used the Intervals part of the Sport Display? I can't seem to figure that out.

Also, when you download the data onto a USB stick, is any software required to view the data? (I have a Mac) Do you get a track map graphic? I admit, I haven't tried this yet.

Thanks in advance!
You would use the interval to record your lap times: i.e. you start the chrono when you pass the start/finish line the first time (or another reference point on a straight section so that you do not get distracted), and then you push the (left?) lever at the same point every lap so that it gets identified a 'one lap' by the SportChrono system. It will then show you if you go faster/slower than your reference lap while you are on the track, will display a histogram with your lap times after your session etc.
This is still far from great though. Even cheap apps like "Harry's lap timer" on your iPhone would automatically recognize the finish line and record lap times and other parameters.

Once you export the data on a USB key, you can import the file in Excel (as a comma or semicolon separated file -dot not quite remember-) and analyze it, plot charts, etc.

If you have a Mac, you can use the Race Render 3 software to overlay your GoPro video's with data recorded by the SportChrono. Not super easy and the SportChrono system only record one datapoint every second but it can do the trick.

Here's an example of a video I created using SportChrono data, a GoPro video and RaceRender (not a very impressive lap time though ):

One day, I'll probably invest in one of these that you combine with an OBD2 connection: http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro.../smartycam-hd/

Last edited by SM_ATL; 06-04-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:44 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
That's very cool. Thanks for the detailed response. I look forward to playing around with this more.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:30 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
One day, I'll probably invest in one of these that you combine with an OBD2 connection: http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro.../smartycam-hd/

Serge,

There is a bluetooth OBD2 from GoPoint Technologies. Match this with Harry's and a bluetooth GPS from Dual (for better accuracy) and you can have great videos with speed, RPMs and gear you are in. I am not sure how to over lay them all but I have seen someone else on the forum do it and it is very cool.

Marc

Old 06-10-2014, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by 998M
Serge,

There is a bluetooth OBD2 from GoPoint Technologies. Match this with Harry's and a bluetooth GPS from Dual (for better accuracy) and you can have great videos with speed, RPMs and gear you are in. I am not sure how to over lay them all but I have seen someone else on the forum do it and it is very cool.

Marc
Thanks for the advice Marc, I'll give it a try! I have read that a few people encountered a couple of glitches but it should be OK. It will probably require an OBD2 extension cable (http://www.obd2plugs.com/Product-209.html) so that you can leave the fuse compartment closed but it is not a big deal. I'll try to get everything delivered and installed before my next track week end in two weeks...

Old 06-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Just saw this on Jalopnik. Porsche is going to release a "Martini Racing" special edition -not in the US - and it looks damn sexy. I know that decals can sometimes look tacky (and I did my share of experiments in the past with more or less success), but the Martini livery has a nice historical/racing heritage touch. Too bad it would not work well on a Guards Red car, I am sure that Kyle @ kistudios would do a great job

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14388082281_4bb31df71a_z.jpg
Views:	1566
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	385195   Click image for larger version

Name:	14390041222_18103c0fcf_z.jpg
Views:	1603
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	385196   Click image for larger version

Name:	14390384394_af66030163_z.jpg
Views:	1548
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	385197  
Old 06-10-2014, 09:44 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Thanks for the advice Marc, I'll give it a try! I have read that a few people encountered a couple of glitches but it should be OK. It will probably require an OBD2 extension cable (http://www.obd2plugs.com/Product-209.html) so that you can leave the fuse compartment closed but it is not a big deal. I'll try to get everything delivered and installed before my next track week end in two weeks...
It is not easy. I have not been able to get it to work myself. You might sent up a thread asking. There is a guy on the forum that got it to work.

Marc

Old 06-10-2014, 03:33 PM
bluepr0 is infamous around these parts
Hello!

What's the name of your iPhone car mount? Is it like a dock where you leave the cable plugged in?

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2014, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by bluepr0
Hello! What's the name of your iPhone car mount? Is it like a dock where you leave the cable plugged in? Thanks!
It is made by ProClip USA. Available with or without connector, for various smartphones with or without cases. Hope this helps.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:22 AM
bluepr0 is infamous around these parts
It is made by ProClip USA. Available with or without connector, for various smartphones with or without cases. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply! I've taken a look at their website and some videos on youtube, it seems it won't hurt the leather on the console but would you mind confirm this?

I'm 1-click of distance to buy it hehe

Old 06-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by bluepr0
Thanks for your reply! I've taken a look at their website and some videos on youtube, it seems it won't hurt the leather on the console but would you mind confirm this?

I'm 1-click of distance to buy it hehe
I do not have full leather, but there has been zero issue with the standard vinyl standard console. Based on how the holder is designed, I do not think there is a risk of permanently damaging the leather.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal