SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:35 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Already a bunch of threads going on, but posting anyhow about what my next upgrade is probably going to be: http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tuning...-wind-diffuser

AWE Tuning has promised something discreet, sleek... and cheaper than competitive products that look tacky. Can't wait to take it to 150mph+ on Road A

Old 06-12-2014, 06:09 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
I am curious to see AWE's solution. Oh the suspense they are building.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:15 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fbroen
I am curious to see AWE's solution. Oh the suspense they are building.
Hehe, small part, big suspense

Old 06-12-2014, 07:35 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Can't wait to take it to 150mph+ on Road A
Speaking if track days, do you have a particular oil change regimen that you adhere to?

I just did my first track weekend on my C2S which has now covered about 2500 mile in total.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by BradB
Speaking if track days, do you have a particular oil change regimen that you adhere to?

I just did my first track weekend on my C2S which has now covered about 2500 mile in total.
I change the oil about every 5,000 miles. I check my oil level after each session and most track week ends, I do not need to add a single drop of oil.
No science to it to be honest.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:16 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
I change the oil about every 5,000 miles. I check my oil level after each session and most track week ends, I do not need to add a single drop of oil.
No science to it to be honest.
Thanks! That's what I had done in the past with my Cayman. I'll keep it up.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:18 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Hehe, small part, big suspense
Small part, but big difference.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by Zack/AWE
Small part, but big difference.
Small is beautiful

Old 06-27-2014, 11:15 AM
Dadz911 is infamous around these parts
Well, spent the week reading our journal. Had read it long ago while you still had the white 911. Lots of interesting information in here. I just wanted to thank you for all the time you have taken and that you answer all questions with such detail. You are extremely helpful to many and it is much appreciated!

Old 06-29-2014, 06:13 PM
Prototype testing of the AWE Tuning 'Foiler' Wind Deflector

AWE Tuning is getting near to completion of their anti-buffeting solution. As part of their real world testing, they gave me the opportunity to try a prototype on the track (Road Atlanta) at high speed (>135mph) last week end during a DE organized by Chin Motorsports. They told me they had the foiler already tested on their in house 991 Turbo but would welcome additional feedback, including how the product would perform during track days.

Here are a few pictures of the car with the foiler mounted on the car:

I liked a lot the fact that it is unobtrusive and blends in very well with the rest of the car. Not sure that non-991 experts would even notice. While designed in a way to limit cost, the foiler is a bolt on that simply replaces the OEM part and is mechanically attached to the door trim in the same way so that no adhesive has to be used (taking care of the risk to lose it at high speed).

The prototype I got for testing was not made of the final material and was only for the driver side, but it was enough to evaluate its performance. For those who have taken their 991 to Road Atlanta, the back straight is long and fast, depending on the conditions you can hit 130-155mph before decelerating for turn 9, but is almost unbearable due to buffeting. Vibrations become so loud that they almost become a distraction.

Recording sound is a challenge on the track when you only have limited equipment (GoPro's), but I tried to do my best using footage from February without the foiler and from last week end. I would suggest to listen to the video clip using earphones as they give a better idea of how loud the buffeting is.

The reduction in buffeting was dramatic IMHO. Of course, there is always a lot of 'regular' wind noise, but it can hardly be avoided driving at these speeds with both windows down. Installing another foiler on the passenger side would probably have made it completely perfect on top of keeping the car symmetric
AWE told me that they would sell the kit in pairs (driver + passenger). I will most certainly install the commercial version of the foiler once it becomes available.

PS: having seen it done by 'wicked' sponsors on the forum, I want to insist on the fact that I do not have any kind of business relationship with AWE tuning. I stayed in touch with them after providing pics and video material of my exhaust and, to be honest, was happy to get solicited to test the new product. I did the video to try to give an unbiased feedback (even though the sound recording is far from optimum).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14351716650_8a9b09283f_z.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	392700   Click image for larger version

Name:	14558480573_9f583ba011_z.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	392701   Click image for larger version

Name:	14351741639_3ed227b563_z.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	392702  
Old 06-30-2014, 07:43 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Awesome. Agreed, at 130 there is a lot of wind noise. I don't care about the wind noise it is the awful buffeting and almost pulsing of pressure. If this works it seem to be a simple solution.

AWE I will be at Road America very soon. They have 2 places where I hit 145-150 and 1 where I hit 135. Just saying, if you are looking for further testing

Thanks Serge

Marc

Old 06-30-2014, 07:46 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Serge,

Are your numbers on the side of the car stickers or magnets? They seem really nice for stickers but I would think magnets would not stay on at 140.

Marc

Old 06-30-2014, 08:06 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
That looks like a nice solution. Thank you for writeup.
How are the stock 'triangles' attached -- clips / pop out?

Old 07-15-2014, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by 998M
Serge,

Are your numbers on the side of the car stickers or magnets? They seem really nice for stickers but I would think magnets would not stay on at 140.

Marc
Stickers made by Kyle at KIstudios.com. They are a sponsor I think and Kyle has done a lot of decals and stickers for me. Always great service and good value for money.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by fbroen
That looks like a nice solution. Thank you for writeup.
How are the stock 'triangles' attached -- clips / pop out?
There is a little screw that you access from the inside of the car when you remove some of the trim. That's why the AWE part is more reliable than aftermarket 'glued on' options.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal