SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:00 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by toddcc1
Serendipitous. I was just driving home tonight with my wife and I started hearing this squeak coming from the front dash...almost like two plastics parts rubbing against one another, or a two year old Chevy.
That's exactly it.
I can relate to your story, my wife never understood why I was so OCD about rattles in my cars and would always pretend she does not notice them.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:09 PM
toddcc1 is infamous around these partstoddcc1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
That's exactly it.
I can relate to your story, my wife never understood why I was so OCD about rattles in my cars and would always pretend she does not notice them.
Well thanks for the heads up. I threw this forum post in her face, as if it were a scientific journal.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:37 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Serge,

Just got the AWE pipe installed. It was quite a chore considering I have 35k miles and two winters. The rust and heat made it difficult. But Oh so worth it.

It is a glorious sound. Highly recommended. Quiet in my neighborhood and then all h3ll breaks loose when you stand on it.

All good thank you again.

Marc

Old 09-27-2014, 05:03 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
That's great Marc! I am sure you will enjoy the exhaust as much as I did!
Stay quiet in your neighborhood -or densely populated areas in general - and just go LOUD everywhere else. You'll get tons of compliments at the track too (people who like race car sounds really appreciate the AWE exhaust).

Have fun!

PS: since I moved from Europe to GA, the word rust as disappeared from my vocabulary. Even the previous E36 we had and that was 18 years old did not have any trace of corrosion

Last edited by SM_ATL; 09-27-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:36 PM
I have accumulated a bit of non-991 material over the past few weeks that I have not had the time to post (Now you could ask me: why would I post non-991 stuff here ? ...).

Here are a few pics of a Caffeine & Octane meeting from 6 or 7 weeks ago.

Got to see the M235i in the flesh for the first time.

I test drove that same car a few days later and was a bit disappointed. It is a fun and peppy little car, but I do not agree at all that it is the 'new E36 M3' as some have said. There is MUCH less steering and chassis feel and the -very good- engine is obviously very different from a naturally aspirated rev happy one. Not to mention that it is only available with an automatic gearbox in the US. So let's say that it is the lightest/most nimble compact Bimmer on sale, that it is a good car, but it is no replacement for an old M3, even if it is as fast around a track as an E46 M3 CSL You can check for yourself by taking a look at this video:
. Finally, there is a fair amount of cheap and hard plastic in the cabin which should not be the case as most M235is retail around $50k.

Staying with BMW, there was also an i3 on display. I'll spare you the pic of the BMW Cube to only show the cabin interior.

If it was not for the eco-cheapo-light materials used -but they are part of the concept-, it is in fact pretty neat, roomy and accessible thanks to the suicide doors. I have no intention of buying one but I'll still take one for a spin. Despite the roomy interior, I just wish BMW would have gone for a lower/more conservative profile. This product may bring new customers who did not feel it was politically correct enough to drive a BMW before, but I am not sure there is enough DNA from Munich in the i3. If we absolutely want to go green, we have the i8, no worries then.

Some cool stuff from the past:

One of the 275 Jaguar XJ220.

Always show respect to the MkI GTI, even if the US spec version was fugly in comparison to the European model.

A VW time capsule

Not making fun of anyone, but sometimes other people tastes can appear... questionable:

"Ferrari Competizione Speciale Tribute" based on a 1992 Miata. This wasn't anything pretentious so let's consider it as a fun conversion project.

#Hellaflush like my kids would post. At this point you do not even call it rubbing anymore.

One reason why I will not buy a Challenger:

Another reason why I will not buy a Challenger:

...or a CTS-V (which is unfortunate as it can probably be an entertaining ride):

Fastest wheelchair around town:

Attention to detail... Step 1:

...and Step 2:

The cool thing is now that you can buy a 'Vette on the spot at the show and bring it home to enjoy a nice Sunday afternoon (with the kids):

There are signs that times and the industry are changing when you start to see rows of Kia's with the hood popped up:

New money, bad taste. I guess the guy does not really like cars but think he is sooo cool.

Enough sarcasms and let's finish on a positive note as an internet forum celebrity, Doug DeMuro, blessed us with his presence. No doubt this is his car, I recognized the $75 stereo he has in it... (plus I saw him getting out of the car ).

If you do not know him yet, check out his blog or read his book: http://dougdemuro.kinja.com

Last edited by SM_ATL; 10-01-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Nice pics.

Can someone please explain this new thing where the tires are inset so much from the wheel lip? It's like they're putting on tires that are 2 sizes too narrow?

Must be a new import tuner thing? I've seen slot of Subarus with it.

I recently saw a McLaren with the same thing going on which was ridiculous.

Not a good look ...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1665498947.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	403509  
Old 10-01-2014, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by STG958
Nice pics.

Can someone please explain this new thing where the tires are inset so much from the wheel lip? It's like they're putting on tires that are 2 sizes too narrow?

Must be a new import tuner thing? I've seen slot of Subarus with it.

I recently saw a McLaren with the same thing going on which was ridiculous.

Not a good look ...
Totally agree. Take a look here and you will understand: http://www.stancenation.com/about/

They say it themselves, they prefer form over function And the form is pretty darn ugly, but to each his own...

Old 10-01-2014, 09:08 AM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light
There was a GT2 the sponsoring dealership brought to the last DE I went to that looked like that. The guy from the dealer explained why it was like that and while it made sense and I do believe form should follow function at some point I think it just looks like crap but I am always a bit slow to pick up on or except anything new.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:17 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JamesKen
There was a GT2 the sponsoring dealership brought to the last DE I went to that looked like that. The guy from the dealer explained why it was like that and while it made sense and I do believe form should follow function at some point I think it just looks like crap but I am always a bit slow to pick up on or except anything new.
Serge-thanks for the link.

It's a pure cosmetic thing. Tuck your tires under the wheel well while your wheel clears the well.

Seems like it's desirable when they have these drop kits that the cars sit on the ground when parked.

Time to move on... I won't be jumping on the bandwagon

Old 11-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Very long time, no post!

I am selling my Brembo big brake kit. A very worthy investment IMHO if you are tracking your 991. They feel indestructible and never let you down. Here's the link to the Marketplace thread:https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4234689

Old 11-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Very long time, no post! I am selling my Brembo big brake kit. A very worthy investment IMHO if you are tracking your 991. They feel indestructible and never let you down. Here's the link to the Marketplace thread:https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4234689
Do the brembo pass squeal like Pagids or are they more inline with oem pads? Also, do they brake sensors work with the brembo pads? Or do you just use them without the sensors?

Last edited by Chupacabra; 11-12-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:37 AM
Ziich is infamous around these parts
Serge I just finished the journal and I would just like to say thank you. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a shame you sold the 991 but I wish you the best of luck.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:51 PM
991C2S88 is infamous around these parts
Nice pics

Old 09-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Verrry long time with no post!
I am back to help my good friend, neighbor and Porsche owner David R. who still had wheels from his 997S and 991S in his garage and traded up for a 991 GT3 around the same time I sold my 911. A number of you may have met him at local trackdays or P-Car Touring activities and he is one of the most honest guys I know, so I have zero issues tacking care of this for him (he is not familiar as I am with forums and online used parts sales).

We have listed a nice set of 20" BBS CH-Rs Black with OEM Porsche Centercaps and TPMS:https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4395131

They are wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sports (245/35 ZR20 at the front with 6mm tread left and 295/30 ZR20 at the rear with 7mm tread left).

Front tires:

Rear tires:

Price $2,400 + Shipping. PM me or send an email sm4atl@gmail.com for quicker response.

PS: for those of you who wondered what I have been up to during the last 12 months, I am still living Stateside. I was planning on moving back to Europe more quickly but I am extending my stay for another few months to complete a few projects with the US branch of the company. The wife and younger kids are already back in Belgium. When I sold the 911, I downgraded for something much more economical that I could flip quickly without a significant depreciation hit when the move would take place. So I got myself a simple BMW 335i MSport with no other intention than using it as a daily commuter. With my US stay getting extended, the mod virus came back and what started with changing light bulbs and ended with coilovers, brake and rims upgrades, an AWE exhaust and track time.
There is no comparison between the 911 and a simple 3er, but I still manage to have fun on the road and on the track. I also still have my son's E46 M3 to drive something a bit more track oriented at times. Since I modded the car I started a journal once again: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1053075. No doubt I see another 911 in my future (991.2?) after I complete my move overseas but for now the bimmer will do.

Last edited by SM_ATL; 09-03-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:27 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Sorry to see you go ...

Glad to read that all is going well with you and the family, Serge. I, like many, thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventures with the 911. Best of luck with all future endeavors!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal