SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Candid feedback requested here

Looking at some possible personalization next steps.
Main ideas are: black & white theme, 'track/race' ingredients to give it a bit more sporty look.

Current options:
-Black stone guard set
-Rear view mirrors painted in black
-White Porsche windshield decal
-Black 911 emblem at the back (remove all existing chrome emblem and just leave a plain, simple and black '911')

Ugly photoshop again...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6966052839/
I am asking feedback because at some point, someone will need to tell me I am going overboard and spoiling an otherwise great looking car...

The Speedart and Techart programs for the 991 came out recently. Not a big fan of the parts they offer, but I was glad to notice H&R springs among other things. Also the Speedart 91-R rear spoiler does not look too bad.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 PM
fixedupw203 is infamous around these parts
I think you are going overboard. Just my two cents. I wouldn't do the side guard or the windshield emblem. If you are itching to do more, I would do the rear emblem and mirrors but if it was me, I think your car is ridiculously clean as is.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:47 PM
ReconTrojan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Candid feedback requested here

Looking at some possible personalization next steps.
Main ideas are: black & white theme, 'track/race' ingredients to give it a bit more sporty look.

Current options:
-Black stone guard set
-Rear view mirrors painted in black
-White Porsche windshield decal
-Black 911 emblem at the back (remove all existing chrome emblem and just leave a plain, simple and black '911')

Ugly photoshop again...

I am asking feedback because at some point, someone will need to tell me I am going overboard and spoiling an otherwise great looking car...

The Speedart and Techart programs for the 991 came out recently. Not a big fan of the parts they offer, but I was glad to notice H&R springs among other things. Also the Speedart 91-R rear spoiler does not look too bad.

Black exhaust tips, Black 911 emblem and black crests if you do the wheels....call it a day. Your car is perfect.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:31 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fixedupw203
I think you are going overboard. Just my two cents. I wouldn't do the side guard or the windshield emblem. If you are itching to do more, I would do the rear emblem and mirrors but if it was me, I think your car is ridiculously clean as is.
Originally Posted by ReconTrojan
Black exhaust tips, Black 911 emblem and black crests if you do the wheels....call it a day. Your car is perfect.
"someone will need to tell me I am going overboard and spoiling an otherwise great looking car..."

Thank you guys, this is what I meant I know it is my car and have to do what I like etc., but when like me you have a tendency to go fast with your mods, it is great to have the forum to test ideas (the wife and kids are not very good sounding boards in this matter).

Old 03-09-2012, 05:12 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
First, it is a great looking car and you have made it better. Thanks for sharing the process with us. Second, unless you are going for a certain specific look, less is generally more - unlike mustangs where over the top is normal, I have always felt that one of the things that make the German cars so appealing is their understated elegance and you may want to careful with that.

One alternate idea for you to ponder - more white. It is a bit '80's, but I saw a red 997 in NYC a few weeks back and all of the bright work, and even the black veins in the front air intakes, were powder coated red. I have always liked that look. Just a thought.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:16 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
I like the windshield thing a lot on the race cars, but it may be too much for a street car.

The black mirrors on the Cayman R really look nice. In part because of their matching the stripe and the black air intakes and the black fixed rear wing.

I don't see why the black mirrors wouldn't go great on your car that already has a lot of black touches and you are thinking about a few more. Stone guards would mirror the Cayman blackness of the intakes for matching purposes.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:21 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Oh, and Speedart rear wing looks great, IMO. Better than the others.

The RUF front black lip is what I want. But I wonder if it would fit a stock bumper?

http://www.gtspirit.com/2012/03/07/g...allery=4168#tp

Old 03-09-2012, 09:39 AM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
The black stone guard breaks up the flow IMO. Black tips, black emblem, black mirrors. Nothing more, nothing less

Old 03-09-2012, 11:03 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Cheesy or???

Here is just a little touch of personalization. You either like it or you don't but... it's cheap and cheerful!

Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:04 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Windowshield is really cool

Side boards not as much.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:44 PM
First of all, thanks for the feedback and advice to you all!

Originally Posted by AG991
less is generally more
That's a true word of wisdom, one that convinces me to be more cautious...

Originally Posted by fbroen
Speedart rear wing looks great[/url]
Agreed and 'less is more' applies to this rear spoiler as well (if it wasn't for the $1k+ price )
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6837374722/Speedart claims that the piece fits the original spoiler. Does it mean that the automatic rear spoiler deployment is still active or that it would need to be disabled?

The good news is that they also offer suspension options, including sport springs:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6983498725/I am not ready to go for street performance PASM compatible coilovers but wanted to drop the car a tad and get a bit stiffer springs. I'd either go for this or for the OEM 'sport springs' you get with S-PASM. As shown on the picture the Speedart springs are made by H&R but they may be exclusive for now as I did not find them on the H&R website.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:53 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed and 'less is more' applies to this rear spoiler as well (if it wasn't for the $1k+ price )

Speedart claims that the piece fits the original spoiler. Does it mean that the automatic rear spoiler deployment is still active or that it would need to be disabled?

The good news is that they also offer suspension options, including sport springs:

I am not ready to go for street performance PASM compatible coilovers but wanted to drop the car a tad and get a bit stiffer springs. I'd either go for this or for the OEM 'sport springs' you get with S-PASM. As shown on the picture the Speedart springs are made by H&R but they may be exclusive for now as I did not find them on the H&R website.
Chaeck out the cover, and a few inside shots, of th new duPont Register. It is graced by a car that looks much like yours - and it is gorgeous.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:32 PM
ReconTrojan is infamous around these parts

Speedart claims that the piece fits the original spoiler. Does it mean that the automatic rear spoiler deployment is still active or that it would need to be disabled?

I am not ready to go for street performance PASM compatible coilovers but wanted to drop the car a tad and get a bit stiffer springs. I'd either go for this or for the OEM 'sport springs' you get with S-PASM. As shown on the picture the Speedart springs are made by H&R but they may be exclusive for now as I did not find them on the H&R website.

I love that spoiler...on that...go nuts sir!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Porsche Stripes...

I like the stripes on the original 911R:

and how they had been featured on my previous Cayman R:

I would like to personalize my 911S a bit more and give it a slightly more sporty look. I am thinking about doing something like this (sorry about the poor quality photoshop, wrong Porsche fonts, etc...):

Not sure I want to spoil the purity of the 991 lines though. I'll probably give it a try and see what it looks like for real...
Meanwhile, any feedback would be welcome
IMHO don't do it. It kills clean looks of 991 in white.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by ReconTrojan
I love that spoiler...on that...go nuts sir!
On it!!! It looks like it does not require to deactivate the rear spoiler. If confirmed, I'll move forward quickly...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal