SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:34 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Thanks Serge,
your thread is definitely my favourite as I have ordered a white S just like yours and I love your pictures and what you are doing to your car - nevermind doing WITH your car.
Keep it up - you're one of Porsche's best ambassadors. They owe you at least a couple of tyres !

Rainier

Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Back from the track...

As already explained on several websites and in magazines, a 991S can be as fast as a 997TT. Here are a couple of pics illustrating it:

991S chasing the tail of a 997TT...

...and then passing it

My friend in the 997TT and I are both 'intermediate' drivers with similar skills and experience, so I think it is a fair comparison of both cars. Sure the 997TT pushes a bit harder in the straights, but the 991S is hard to beat in slower sections of the track.

The 991 always remains remarkably planted:

Even when getting a little sideways...

...or a bit too much

Sad thing is that there is no free lunch

Here's what is left of my 1 week old Michelin PSS's:

I ran too high in pressure at some time and very hot during the day. Instead of ruining street tires, i am getting a dedicated set of track rims. We checked the clearance of 18" Victor Innsbrucks that will be fitted with Toyo R888.

Next track time is next Monday at Road Atlanta. Hope to get everything figured out by then.

PS: One other collateral damage was the loss of the (replicas) center caps. With the wheels getting very hot and expanding, the caps simply fell from the wheels. I found three but one will remain MIA. Going back to OEM. There is no substitute !!!
This was amazing, including the photography!! Thanks for posting.

ChuckJ

Old 05-30-2012, 06:26 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
This was amazing, including the photography!! Thanks for posting.

ChuckJ
Thanks!. There were other photographers present but I have not seen their pics yet. I hope there will be more. I also have GoPro and Harry lap timer Pro videos and I'll try to do something with it when I have time.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Looks like great fun. Thank you for the writeup and media.

Will be very intersting to see the 18s completed and on car, and your feedback on handling.

How did the spoiler (turbulence) fare at the track?

Lastly, secretely happy you lost the center caps -- those particular ones did not hold up to the otherwise stellar standard of your mods... ; )

Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fbroen
Lastly, secretely happy you lost the center caps -- those particular ones did not hold up to the otherwise stellar standard of your mods... ; )

I'll give a try to the old OEM 'RS' caps. This is not a 'wannabe' move but I want to try something OEM that would not be the crest and that would be the same color as the rims...

Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Tito_gsx is infamous around these parts
Good call on getting dedicated track tires. 888's are loads better than street tires although they produce alot of noise (not a big deal since I use for track only). Careful on the first heat cycle because they are very slippery. Once that's done they are very grippy. I have good results with 36-37 hot pressure front and rear.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
SM_ATL-

What size numbers are on your side windows? Are they static cling or reusable vinyl?

Old 05-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Tito_gsx
Good call on getting dedicated track tires. 888's are loads better than street tires although they produce alot of noise (not a big deal since I use for track only). Careful on the first heat cycle because they are very slippery. Once that's done they are very grippy. I have good results with 36-37 hot pressure front and rear.
Thanks a lot for the feedback! and the range of pressure is also what I discussed with the shop. BTW, what rim size are you running? 18" too?

On a sad note, I had a new set of brakes this week end and the initial message I got is that I ran "too hot, fried the pads and warped the rotors"
Do not know if this is normal... The air temperature was 95F, I ran 8 (30 minutes) sessions of about 15 laps each, with 5 'all-in' 100+ mph down to 50 mph brakings per lap. The shop is not trying to rip me off and they are checking what has to be done at minimum cost.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by gleek48
SM_ATL-

What size numbers are on your side windows? Are they static cling or reusable vinyl?
Window numbers were regular stickers provided by BMW (it was a local BMW event) for the week end. As opposed to other clubs, they will not use numbers that you would already have on the car.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:57 PM
mcsha is infamous around these parts
As always thanks for the update. sorry to hear about the rotors. Are you still planning on Road Atlanta on Monday?

Old 05-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Tito_gsx is infamous around these parts
Did you track your Cayman R often? Your thread is nice and entertaining because your one of the first 991 guys modding and tracking your car. Unfortunate news on your brakes, I suppose that much hard driving will wear it out fast.

For my 888 track tires, I run stock size for my 997 C2S which is 295/30 rear and 235/35. You would need to match the nearest wheel diameter since your running 18's. You'll be thanking yourself after your 2nd session on these tires

Old 05-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by mcsha
As always thanks for the update. sorry to hear about the rotors. Are you still planning on Road Atlanta on Monday?
Yes, I skipped VIR on Friday but will be on Road Atlanta with Chin on Monday (will you be there too?). My old brakes (there were still good enough for one event) are back on the car. I have seen the 'new' ones taken off the car today (after 1 week + 2 days at Barber) and they look a lot worse than the 'old' ones. Burn spots on the rotors (probably warped), burnt pads and all the wholes in the rotors stuffed with brake material. After this event, I will not be on the track for a month or two, so this will leave us time to figure something out.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Found this pic on the net. Was taken during my previous week end at Barber...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7284206094/
Look at those big brakes on the Porsche, that's what I need!
What, you do not see the Porsche??

Old 05-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Tito_gsx
Did you track your Cayman R often? Your thread is nice and entertaining because your one of the first 991 guys modding and tracking your car. Unfortunate news on your brakes, I suppose that much hard driving will wear it out fast.

For my 888 track tires, I run stock size for my 997 C2S which is 295/30 rear and 235/35. You would need to match the nearest wheel diameter since your running 18's. You'll be thanking yourself after your 2nd session on these tires
I did not keep the Cayman R for long (~6 months) and traded it in 2 weeks before the first track event was scheduled. I did quite a bit of spirited driving with it though

The brakes story is a little disappointing. Even if I have driven very hard, this is a 911S and I expected better performance/longevity. Looking at underpinnings is a bit disappointing too: no stainless steel lines, one piece cast rotors... I was expecting better. At least it will continue to give me upgrade opportunities.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:16 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
I presently drive an e46 M3 (might have seen you at Road Atlanta) but am contemplating purchasing a 991 CS. I was researching Atlanta dealers and came upon your thread and have been captivated by your transformation of the car. Would you mind sharing which dealer and shops you recommend in Atlanta for suspension work, spoiler installations, etc? Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal