SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:13 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hakaida
Suncoast has them too and I would ask them. Certainly they would know more being a dealer.
Will do too. Thanks for the suggestion (and the seats are in fact a bit cheaper on Suncoast's website...)

Old 06-06-2012, 07:13 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
those seats ARE available in 991 in euro market, same seats..

3k to add to build,

like what 8k to buy after the fact?

just wait and get GT3 with them specc'd. makes more financial sense to me.. lol.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:45 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
those seats ARE available in 991 in euro market, same seats..

3k to add to build,

like what 8k to buy after the fact?

just wait and get GT3 with them specc'd. makes more financial sense to me.. lol.
By the time the GT3 is released, I may already have transformed my 991S in some kind of GT version myself... I have the mod virus and love selecting the parts one by one and enjoy a 'new car' every time
You are right about the seats, they show the same P03 option code for both the 997 and 991 on the European car configurator. Why is Porsche giving that much BS to their US customers???

Last edited by SM_ATL; 06-07-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 PM
HansGT2 is infamous around these parts
The reason might be our federal auto safety regulations. I'm no expert in the field, but it's possible that the seats would have to be subjected to certain tests mounted in the vehicle to be legal in the U.S. After all, the 991 is a new structural design. Until the seats have been properly tested Porsche could not officially sell them.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:33 AM
Originally Posted by HansGT2
The reason might be our federal auto safety regulations. I'm no expert in the field, but it's possible that the seats would have to be subjected to certain tests mounted in the vehicle to be legal in the U.S. After all, the 991 is a new structural design. Until the seats have been properly tested Porsche could not officially sell them.
This is indeed the most likely explanation. But Porsche could simply say that and it would be OK vs. telling stories about the future model, etc. I'll get to the bottom of it and post my findings... or pics of the GT2 seats in the 991.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Solution to the buffeting problem?

Thanks, the pleasure is all mine!

Here's something that could of (even) more interest a patent attorney

While I was on the track (Road Atlanta) today, we spent some time experimenting with my instructor in the hope of finding a solution to the buffeting issue (you easily go above 130 mph in the backstraight). Popping up the sunroof is a perfect fix, but of course we got black flagged immediately

David, my instructor, then tried to create a 'deflector' with his hand placed at different positions. From what he found out, it looks like the new position of the rear view mirror on the door contributes significantly to the buffeting. With certain hand positions, the buffeting completely disappeared.

Porsche should with no doubt find a fix for this in the wind tunnel and maybe come out with a new rear few mirror shape (or with some kind of aerodynamic feature), but in the meantime, someone who would be willing to fabricate a clip-on deflector as shown on the next picture would solve the problem.

This would of course require some true design and experimenting, but this was an interesting finding.

The weather was very bad this morning, so I'll also post a few pics and impressions of the 991S on a wet track
That is very interning. I wonder if there could be a fix that can be temporarily mounted on the mirrors for racing days?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by AG991
That is very interning. I wonder if there could be a fix that can be temporarily mounted on the mirrors for racing days?
I'll check with my local shop. the beauty of it is that you only need it on one side of the car (as it prevents the 'resonance' between the two open windows).

Old 06-07-2012, 09:02 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Did you get black flagged by lifting the rear of the sunroof up or did you have the whole sunroof open?

ChuckJ

Old 06-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Did you get black flagged by lifting the rear of the sunroof up or did you have the whole sunroof open?

ChuckJ
Just the rear and only a little bit...Ludicrous to black flag for that IMO

Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Amazing!!

Old 06-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Porsche back in Forza4 no 991

A 'Porsche Pack' is finally available for Forza4 -I am not a video game freak, but playing occasionally on the family console I was frustrated not to find my favorite cars...-.
A couple of nice cars, but no GT3RS 4.0 and no 991 (these 2 as well the 918 are available in NFS The Run. I imagine EA has kept the exclusivity for the most recent cars ).

Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Work in progress...

left the car at Freed Performance today to have the BBK and seats taken care of.

Brembo 380mm BBK installed at the front:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7180950443/
And GT2 seats just delivered:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7366178694/
Can't wait to get back in the car

Old 06-12-2012, 02:00 PM
PRUVEIT is infamous around these parts
Can't wait to see the results of the BBK and the seat install!

Old 06-12-2012, 02:44 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PRUVEIT
Can't wait to see the results of the BBK and the seat install!
Me too -- love those seats! And curious to hear some feedback on how these new rotors hold up versus the last ones.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:38 AM
Not enough time for pics today guys, but the seats are just a dream and they give a whole different perception of the car. You make one with the car, (your own) body roll does not limit your handling capabilities and you can truly 'drive with your butt' like some people say, thanks to the perfect connection of the lower part of your body and the chassis.
We still have to resolve an airbag warning light coming off, but we will fix it.
At first it may sam like a futile / show off mod, but once you're in it, you are SOLD!. What a pity this option is not available from Porsche in the US

I'll post pics and more feedback soon!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal