SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:06 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Just ordered the Agency Power headers w/Hi flo cats and muffler bypass from Vivid racing. Hopefully installed before the end of July

Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
it looks like the headers pipes are sitting lower to the ground than stock (less clearance), maybe a little too low?
Good observation, but does not seem to be by a lot and I am not sure that they would in fact hang lower than the rear axle itself. I'll certainly double check!
And be sure that I'll be so excited that I'll post an abundance of pics and clips

Old 06-28-2012, 11:36 AM
2fnquik is infamous around these parts
SM_ATL, just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading this amazing thread. It's a rarity to find someone who drives/mods/tracks his brand new car, and is able to document everything so carefully, with photos. Much appreciated!

Old 06-28-2012, 12:15 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2fnquik
SM_ATL, just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading this amazing thread. It's a rarity to find someone who drives/mods/tracks his brand new car, and is able to document everything so carefully, with photos. Much appreciated!
Some people would even make it tax deductible.

ChuckJ

Old 06-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Good observation, but does not seem to be by a lot and I am not sure that they would in fact hang lower than the rear axle itself. I'll certainly double check!
And be sure that I'll be so excited that I'll post an abundance of pics and clips
Yeah you could be right on that, perhaps it's just the perspective in the pics.
I'm sure it's going to sound amazing, I very excited to hear some real life clips... OK maybe not as excited as you .

Cheers!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 AM
ronaldvetteron is infamous around these partsronaldvetteron is infamous around these parts
Fun following this thread...........I am the person who bought the Cayman R that he owned prior to this 991. Glad he stopped at the point he did on the R as it is just about perfect to my tastes. It is like I ordered it from Porsche and then SM_ATL added what I would have wanted save for maybe the laser jammers. I have only made two adjustments to all his chagnes..........When he wants to move to his next vehicle as palette, someone will be getting a well set up Porsche, particularly if it can be had with a CPO like I was fortunate to get.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Shizzle is infamous around these parts
First off, I think your car looks fantastic! I'm digging the simple aesthetic mods.

In getting your 19" wheels to fit, did you have to run any extra camber or use spacers in order to clear the suspension bits?

Old 07-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Shizzle
First off, I think your car looks fantastic! I'm digging the simple aesthetic mods.

In getting your 19" wheels to fit, did you have to run any extra camber or use spacers in order to clear the suspension bits?
Thanks!
I am out of town and do not know the offset of my 19" wheels, but there was no spacer needed (I am still running OEM 5mm at the front that get the wheels perfectly flush, but removed them at the rear when I installed the new wheels).

As far as aesthetics are concerned, I am going to return to a more 'classic/OEM' look for the car and remove the decals. Meanwhile performance upgrades will continue. The car will be at the shop next week for a rollbar and harness install + Power Agency exhaust upgrade...

Old 07-17-2012, 06:45 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
As far as aesthetics are concerned, I am going to return to a more 'classic/OEM' look for the car and remove the decals. Meanwhile performance upgrades will continue. The car will be at the shop next week for a rollbar and harness install + Power Agency exhaust upgrade...
Good idea Serge, go incognito. You might as well not give unsuspecting guys any heads up that they are going to get wiped!!

ChuckJ

Old 07-18-2012, 08:11 AM
flatcrank is infamous around these parts
Thank you for the many feedbacks!
Interesting to see the very different point of views regarding the wheels. Probably the one thing that has generated the most comments in the forum, PMs and real life.

Regarding the brakes, OEMs are indeed made by Brembo I think, but the front axle rotors are only 350mm, 1 piece and brake lines made of rubber. The new BBK is 380mm, 2 pieces rotors and stainless steel lines. This means better heat capacity and dissipation, more 'stable' rotors and lines, etc. This should have a very significant impact on the track in terms of endurance (and avoid to burn pads, rotors or even warp them as it happened before). I have never seen very definitive data regarding drilled vs. slotted rotors, and there are very minor pro's and con's. My recent experience with the drilled rotors on the 991 has been to find them obstructed with brake pads material making it more difficult to degas.

I liked the analogy of baby seats for adults for the bucket seats. That exactly how tight it feels. Yes I'll miss the cooling feature, but that's a little sacrifice compared with the much improved 'connection' with the road.

Fbroen, I should get your wife in touch with mine. It took me some time to get her to understand -not to say to accept- my passion
If you would, please measure the thickness and caliper "jaw" space of the Brembo rotor and caliper compared to the factory rotor and caliper. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 PM
keith27 is infamous around these parts
Wow this thread is amazing... just read all 36 pages. I currently own an e39 M5 for the past 10.5 years and am considering a 991S in Carrera White as my DD replacement. Loved reading every page of this thread.

Question for SM_ATL... Why did you go with the Brembo BBK vs. say the Porsche ceramic brakes? How would the ceramics compare to the BBK? Just curious as I *may* order the ceramics on my car, but am not sure I will track my car nearly as often as you do (and it may not be worth it for me). Was curious if you ever considered the ceramics?

I'm also in Atlanta, so hopefully I'll see your car in person one day.

-Keith

Old 07-19-2012, 03:05 PM
flatcrank is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by keith27
Wow this thread is amazing... just read all 36 pages. I currently own an e39 M5 for the past 10.5 years and am considering a 991S in Carrera White as my DD replacement. Loved reading every page of this thread.

Question for SM_ATL... Why did you go with the Brembo BBK vs. say the Porsche ceramic brakes? How would the ceramics compare to the BBK? Just curious as I *may* order the ceramics on my car, but am not sure I will track my car nearly as often as you do (and it may not be worth it for me). Was curious if you ever considered the ceramics?

-Keith
Being new Porsche, you should consider taking one of the PSDS events to drive the 991 and become familiar with it in a performance DE environment.

You can read all about Porsche brakes by searching and googling for PCCB -- I have them on a 3.8 RS and they're great, but they wear out quickly on the track.

I've done the two-day and three-day PSDS events. Great fun and top shelf professional education -- great for skilled and serious drivers.

https://www.porschedriving.com/

ps. If you baulk at the cost of PSDS, I suggest you run the numbers of real, actual costs to take a current model Porsche to the track for a day or two, it's not obvious just how expensive it is, let alone insurance, risk, wear and tear, just a chip in the windshield or a little "rash" in the paint ... as ever, "fast" is expensive.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:22 AM
keith27 is infamous around these parts
I absolutely will take a look, thanks!

I do have a few questions on Carrera S brakes vs. the PCCB... I'll start a new thread on it, though, so I don't hi-jack this one.

-Keith

Old 07-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by keith27

-Keith
Hi Keith,

here's a quick answer to your question. Not a lot of facts, but my take on the issue...
First, if someone is interested in PCCB, always include it in your build as Porsche will charge you ~$20k+ if you want to get it installed later. In my case, I bought the car off the lot and never thought that I would need anything stronger that stock brakes. I discovered I was wrong but talking with my shop and other guys around the track, the consensus I got is that you are still better off upgrading to a good aftermarket BBK. Here's the logic:
-even when during spirited driving sessions in the mountains, the stock brakes of the 991S seem almost indestructible. I am not sure what you would really gain with PCCB for street use
-on the track, PCCB's are probably a nice feature, but if you frequently swap wheels or work on your car, there is a risk of hitting and cracking the rotors that are very brittle and VERY expensive. If cost is not an issue at all, PCCB's can be a good option there, but a good BBK will probably be a better performance vs value proposition.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 07-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Back from vacation (and all the diesel midsize cars I have been driving in Europe ) and so happy to get my car back. My 991 will get a nice Sunday detail before heading for the shop tomorrow.

Meanwhile I found my first CF interior part in the mail (center console):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7621789592/The CF dash trim is on its way and should be delivered tomorrow.

While I was away, I gave some consideration to the cars's look (and ask for forum member's advice in another thread) and decided to go back to a somewhat more 'stock' design. Part of the question was if I would go back to my OEM 20" Carrera Classic wheels or keep my current 20" Victor Innsbruck. I checked the weight of my 3 wheel sets this morning and here's what I found out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7621790178/
The OEM set should in fact be a little more at a disadvantage as the PZero's are completely worn out and as I would run rear spacers with them.
A ~8 lbs gain is not huge in itself with the forged Victor's (with newer tires though) but of course we are talking about rotating mass.
In brief, I may end up getting the Innsbrucks painted or powdercoated in another color (satin platinum?), butI'll keep them on the car.

More to come this week with exhaust, rollbar and a couple of other small mods.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal