SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Former Vendor
Jav@Vossen is infamous around these parts
Outstanding build and thread thus far!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:13 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flatcrank
My question from earlier in the thread was to compare the thickness of the Brembo rotor to the factory 991S rotor. I'm assuming the 991 rotor is thicker and the Brembo wouldn't be compatible with the factory caliper (whether it's alignment and centering or piston excursion to use the pad as it wears.)

It would be great if you had the opportunity to measure the factory rotor dimensions and compare to the Brembo rotor (offset, rotor thickness, swept area radius, annulus, etc.)

So far, I haven't found an aftermarket rotor upgrade.

I don't want to budget on calipers, if I can space the factory item and just go with a better rotor and pad.
I unfortunately do not have my stock rotors to compare anymore (and the car is currently at the shop), but I have seen Brembo Type III 2-piece direct replacement rotors for the 991S on Rennline.com. They should work with your existing calipers.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:19 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rossd
SmLooking forward to you impressions of your new Agency exhaust..... Do you have PSE and if so your impressions as to it's continued function...
Looking forward to your description.
My 991 is two weeks out !!
The delivery has been delayed a bit but everything should be on the car before the week end.
Meanwhile Josh @ Vivid has sent a pic of work in progress on one of the headers:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7640782422/

Old 07-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Teaser...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7659479850/
Pics and impressions tomorrow... sound on Sunday. Too many cops out to enjoy tonight

Old 07-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Hey Serge so how does the new set-up sound?!!!
Come on post a clip... I'm dying over here!

Also how's the ground clearance with the header pipes, any issues?

Cheers!

Old 07-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Hey Serge so how does the new set-up sound?!!!
Come on post a clip... I'm dying over here!

Also how's the ground clearance with the header pipes, any issues?

Cheers!
Ground clearance with header pipes is still ok. They hang a bit lower than the control arm on the driver side, but it does not seem to be critical.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7659479198/
The sound is very good indeed and quite GT3-ish as Vivid had indicated but it is extremely LOUD!!! It would be perfect for a track car but, to give you an idea, it becomes almost impossible to listen to talk radio in sport mode above 2,500 rpm... My kids totally love it A sound clip would not do it justice: you would hear a fantastic sound, but it would not tell you just how loud it is... The PSE switch makes no difference anymore as the 'base' exhaust sound is already so loud.
In brief, I LOVED it in the first hours, but after some time, you find out there are too many dB's in the cabin to your taste when you are not in 'road rage' mode. This is of course a matter of personal preferences but if it is your daily driver or you travel over long distances, it can become really wearisome.
I'll have the stock mufflers back in place tomorrow and will give it a try with the headers only. This will probably be my final configuration for now.

There was definitely a butt dyno improvement, especially in the mid-rpm range as indicated by the Agency Power dyno curves. This was, I think, mainly due to the headers and I'll check if I can still feel the improvement with the headers + stock side mufflers.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:28 PM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
Many thanks for your post. It is very informative. I think the best combination would be header with 200 cat + XPipe and keep the original side muffers. So the exhaust note would be lound but hope still reasonable for DD.

Vivid, if you have a chance any time in the future, please try this set up with the original side muffers on the dyno and let us know how the curve look like. Thank you.

Last edited by exponential; 07-29-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Ground clearance with header pipes is still ok. They hang a bit lower than the control arm on the driver side, but it does not seem to be critical.

The sound is very good indeed and quite GT3-ish as Vivid had indicated but it is extremely LOUD!!! It would be perfect for a track car but, to give you an idea, it becomes almost impossible to listen to talk radio in sport mode above 2,500 rpm... My kids totally love it A sound clip would not do it justice: you would hear a fantastic sound, but it would not tell you just how loud it is... The PSE switch makes no difference anymore as the 'base' exhaust sound is already so loud.
In brief, I LOVED it in the first hours, but after some time, you find out there are too many dB's in the cabin to your taste when you are not in 'road rage' mode. This is of course a matter of personal preferences but if it is your daily driver or you travel over long distances, it can become really wearisome.
I'll have the stock mufflers back in place tomorrow and will give it a try with the headers only. This will probably be my final configuration for now.
Well thanks for being the guinea pig.
It's great to get this kind of feedback and you're right... it's very hard to get a good representation of the DB level from a video clip.

I was kinda expecting the PSE valves to be rendered "ineffective" by those "by-pass" pipes since the secondary and primary exhaust now both have the same path/restriction (beyond the center muffler/resonance chamber).
But since you're re-installing the mufflers you should get back that difference between valves on/off.
Let us know how that works out.

I was originally planning on just putting a set of 200 cell cats/headers on my 991 C4S with PSE to get an extra growl and DB when open but I was also thinking of adding a Fisted D hack to the side mufflers for a bit of extra tonal range when the valves are closed.

That said... I'm absolutely in loveee with the sound of those x-pipes with the full agency power exhaust setup!
But thanks to you I now know that this will probably be wayyyy to loud.
I've waisted enough $$$ on exhaust mods/packages to have become a bit more mature... or maybe not hehehe.

Post some clips if ya have a chance!

Cheers.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Thanks for the posts and updates. All of our tests have been done with a Carrera S not with the sport exhaust as shown in the underside shot. We have one of those here so will install it just to see. Personally I did not think the header and side pipes were that loud. It could be just someone getting use to the sound, but definitely is going to be different per person as some like it loud and some dont. Either way stoked you got it on!

exponential - we have already done that, see our thread here https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ncy-power.html

Old 07-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by vividracing
It could be just someone getting use to the sound, but definitely is going to be different per person as some like it loud and some dont.
This is a right statement. My issue comes from the fact that the car is at the same time the one that I track and the one that I use to travel hundreds of miles in a day so I need to find a good compromise between all this. Springs, GT2 seats and headers will be fine, muffler bypass may have been a step too far for me.
Porsches are meant to be driven, so there is no way I would use another car on a daily basis

Old 07-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
^ amen!

Old 08-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Back to stock mufflers + Agency Power headers and hi-flo cat.
This works out to be the best option for me: sound is still a little bit louder/raspy than the OEM PSE and torque improvement still noticeable.
Good value for money if this is what you are looking for IMHO.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:40 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Serge, I'm sure this is getting old, but I Have to say "Thank You" for this incredible journal/thread. I ordered my first 991s in early June and am anxiously awaiting an October delivery. I've read all 38 pages over the past couple of days and have learned a TON. It as also eased the PAIN of the wait. Looking forward to keeping up as your adventure continues. Heck, if I had to pay to be a member of this thread, I wouldn't hesitate.

Take Care, Dennis

Old 08-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the nice word Dennis!

Old 08-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Recent interior mods

Had not yet posted pics of the carbon fiber interior parts (center console, dash trim and gear ****):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7717878782/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7717879592/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7717880346/
and of the SupremePower-b.b.i rollbar (harnesses on back order for now...)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7717881158/
The car itself is back to a more stock look for now... call it a sleeper if you want.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7717876582/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal