SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:34 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Looks great! Love how well the CF trim compliments the Expresso, and adding the 'Carrera S' decals to the doors is subtle but sporty. Nice updates.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:12 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dallascajun
Looks great! Love how well the CF trim compliments the Expresso, and adding the 'Carrera S' decals to the doors is subtle but sporty. Nice updates.
Thanks! The car interior is in fact black but the door panel looks 'Expresso' on the pic probably due to the contrast, the bad quality camera and the fact that there was direct light through the windshield, the tinted windows and the opened door. Photography is not my forte!

Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Or maybe I'm just a little bit blind. Either way, it looks good inside and out. Good job.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:18 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Exhaust update...

As mentioned earlier (deleted the post to re-start with a more complete one), the car threw its first CEL last Saturday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7717874946/
At this point I thought it was just bound to happen one day with a hi-flo cat and I would have to wait for a tune/software to address it. I drove happily on Sunday and attended Caffeine & Octane (nice attendance and sunny weather)...
When leaving for the office on Monday morning, the car had difficulties starting and then died at the first crossing throwing a whole bunch of error messages (engine, PSM, start/stop, etc...). I manage to drive cautiously to the shop but could hear there were a lot of misfires.

It turned out that cylinder #6 was misfiring and after taking the headers out it looked like one of the converters had failed. With the OEM headers back on the car, everything is fine again. Vivid/Agency Power wants to ship a new set of headers and we will try them. I'll follow up on this when we do a second headers 'experiment'

Old 08-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Just a technical note... we use cats from Allied which is the same cats as used in Magnaflow and B&B (Billy Boat) products. So besides those companies, we have used these cats in 100's of products. Though not every single unit produce can be 100% perfect, product failure does happen in the world. So though this is a tested and working product, this particular high flow cat had a issue. Agency Power offers a lifetime warranty on their products which means they will fix or replace the part at no cost. We appreciate the patience of the shop and user and will get a replacment underway.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Neil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the rough
Hmm. Makes me less worried that I didn't do the cat/header system yet, only ordered the muffler pipes and x-pipe. SMATL did you have to remove the bumpers to remove the side mufflers? I'm trying to avoid removing the bumper if possible.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Neil Mccauley
Hmm. Makes me less worried that I didn't do the cat/header system yet, only ordered the muffler pipes and x-pipe. SMATL did you have to remove the bumpers to remove the side mufflers? I'm trying to avoid removing the bumper if possible.
Have not taken care of the side mufflers myself, but from the last time I took the bumper off I can not see how you could remove the mufflers and install the bypasses without removing the bumper. Mine has already been removed a few times without any issues.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Neil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the rough
How long does it take to take off the bumper, like 30 mins? I was told the lights come off first via screws or nuts accessed while the rear deck is open. Than everything is torx screws. I was planning on doing the install myself at my buddies shop on his lift. Im a do it yourselfer.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Neil Mccauley
How long does it take to take off the bumper, like 30 mins? I was told the lights come off first via screws or nuts accessed while the rear deck is open. Than everything is torx screws. I was planning on doing the install myself at my buddies shop on his lift. Im a do it yourselfer.
30 mins are enough for the bumper and you are right on how to proceed. I found out that there were more torx screw than I expected and I removed the rear wheels to have better access to a couple of them (may not be necessary if you have a lift though). You have to proceed carefully when you put the bumper back on to keep it nicely aligned and flush.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Ok I will keep that in mind. Thanks man. I will post pics when I get everything installed in a few weeks. Hopefully sooner.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Great video!!! It was clear that the TT had it in the straights and the 991 had bid advantages braking late and in the turns. Now I'm wondering if the base would also beat the TT.

ChuckJ
PS: Anyone taking bets on the time it takes the TT guy to buy a 991?
My TT friend placed his order for a 991S today

Old 08-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Tow hook for 991

A tow hook for 991 is finally available and can be found on Rennline.com (I had ordered one previously thinking it would be the same as the 997 but the 991 is different). Like for the previous models, you can also option it with a GoPro mount:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7761545186/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7761545828/

Old 08-13-2012, 03:23 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Tito_gsx
Good call on getting dedicated track tires. 888's are loads better than street tires although they produce alot of noise (not a big deal since I use for track only). Careful on the first heat cycle because they are very slippery. Once that's done they are very grippy. I have good results with 36-37 hot pressure front and rear.

Good advice. Also remember what the added grip will do to your brakes.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Eco-run

I never posted the attached pic showing the result of an 'eco-run' with the 991. I could only focus for half an hour and had to go back to my bad habits after that (sport mode, PDK in manual, etc.).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7176015052/
34 mpg, traveling at 68mph is not bad at all IMO.

I thought about this while reading an article about the Fisker Karma in 'Road & Track'. I may going a bit off topic in a 991 forum, but what I read got me totally mad and irate.

Here are a few quotes: "The EPA uses a complicated mpg-equivalent formula for fuel use at electrical powerplants, and that gives the car an official rating of 54 mpg for the first 33 miles of range. After that, it drops to 20 mpg combined city/highway". "Fisker got a federal loan of $529 million to develop and build their cars (only $169 million used so far on the Karma)". "Fisker has sold just under 1000 of these cars so far". "So who is the Karma built for? Well, someone who has more than $100K to spend and wants a handsome high-performance 4-seat sports car that draws a crowd of curious car buffs wherever it goes, an unexpected sight that’s a little outside the norm, visually and technically."

My personal interpretation of this is that the government has committed half a billion $ of taxpayer's money to build a luxury car that will have no positive impact on the environment (you will have a very good mpg if you drive very few miles, meaning that you would not have emitted much CO2 anyhow. If you drive over long distance, many cars have a much better mileage than the Fisker). If $169m have been used to make the Karma and that they only sold 1,000 of them for about $100k per car, it means that taxpayers are subsidizing each Karma up to $69k (assuming Fisker pays back its debt...)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7778445872/
This whole eco-chic scam and hijacking of Federal taxes make me sick. I will not have an ounce of shame when I burn 8 mpg on the track, since I have a better mileage than a Karma after 33 miles on my way back

Last edited by SM_ATL; 08-13-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:11 AM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
I concur.....electric cars are NOT the future....your still burning coal.

I saw an interesting episode of Top Gear BBC recently and they had a hydrogen fueled car on there......completely runs on water....THAT'S the future!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal