SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:47 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Was at Barber last weekend and got the opportunity to check how the 991S would stack up against a GT3RS... and it did actually well.
HPDE's are not races and there are many other parameters at play, let alone how hard drivers want to push their cars, but I was again pleased to see how the 991S performs.

Here's a 1 lap video of the 991S following the GT3RS

Last edited by SM_ATL; 08-21-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:45 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
1. Love the production!
2. Can't understand what the box was doing out there.
3. You're going to have to find some real competition, Serge! Nice driving even though it looked like 90% of your top capability.
4. Do you have mag-lev in that car?

ChuckJ

Old 08-21-2012, 01:24 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Any further thoughts?

I wonder if a strip of 3M clear wrap attached to mirror and to windwhield would work? It would be pretty cheap and easy to apply, and remove after track day, and is available in rolls of about the right width.

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Solution to the buffeting problem?

Thanks, the pleasure is all mine!

Here's something that could of (even) more interest a patent attorney

While I was on the track (Road Atlanta) today, we spent some time experimenting with my instructor in the hope of finding a solution to the buffeting issue (you easily go above 130 mph in the backstraight). Popping up the sunroof is a perfect fix, but of course we got black flagged immediately

David, my instructor, then tried to create a 'deflector' with his hand placed at different positions. From what he found out, it looks like the new position of the rear view mirror on the door contributes significantly to the buffeting. With certain hand positions, the buffeting completely disappeared.

Porsche should with no doubt find a fix for this in the wind tunnel and maybe come out with a new rear few mirror shape (or with some kind of aerodynamic feature), but in the meantime, someone who would be willing to fabricate a clip-on deflector as shown on the next picture would solve the problem.

This would of course require some true design and experimenting, but this was an interesting finding.

The weather was very bad this morning, so I'll also post a few pics and impressions of the 991S on a wet track

Old 08-21-2012, 01:26 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SM_ATL

Here's a 1 lap video of the 991S following the GT3RS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFDhT-XIjx0
Very smooth production. That is a nice succession of passes. Including the ultimate final one.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
1. Love the production!
2. Can't understand what the box was doing out there.
3. You're going to have to find some real competition, Serge! Nice driving even though it looked like 90% of your top capability.
4. Do you have mag-lev in that car?

ChuckJ
1. Thanks Chuck!
2. I am still asking myself the same question about the box, but hey, everybody can have fun!
3. Real competition exists: there is always a Nissan GTR somewhere to humiliate me And yes, I should go faster. I only achieved 1:47 while my goal was 1:45 There are a couple of turns where I could be smoother and carry more speed. I'll be back at Barber in November with new rear brakes, some weight loss and headers & muffler bypass back in place... and a cleaner line.
4. I guess this should be available as "PML" on the future 990 model -or whatever the number will be-

I also received a couple of pics today and still have a few video clips to edit with some experience to share.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7835283492/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7835282804/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7835284160/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7835284662/

Last edited by SM_ATL; 08-21-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 AM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Chris Harris watch out!

Wow Serge, I didn’t know that you were 1/3 motorsport journalist too great thread! I have read thru it all and I already knew that you were 1/3 engineer, and 1/3 race driver, but that you were this good at writing and explaining mods was a surprise to me, so Chris Harris watch out!

I'm new to this forum but I have the pleasure of being neighbor to Serge and also referred to in this thread as his friend with the black tt.

My tt is a 2011, I have had it for almost 2 years now and done 5 HPDE events in it, 3 of them with Serge, and I must admit the 991S is superior to the 997tt. On the straight the 991s is no match for the 997tt, but thru turns, breaking etc. the 991s is a much more agile car. The fact that the 991s has a much more linear acceleration compared to the tt makes it a better choice for the track as well.

Off the track the 991s is a much more comfortable car to drive, so as a DD this a great car!

As much as I appreciate the mods that Serge has done to the 991s and acknowledge the benefits for track days, I will not be doing anything close to this to my new 991s, just that fact that I wanted to find a solution to get rid of the rear wing on the tt for a more clean look explains it all.

I'll take deliver mid Oct, birthday is set to 9/17/12 so right now the days seems very long for me. I chose black on black with PDK and some of the upgrades are PDCC, PCCB, SE, SCP to name a few.

Anyway great thread Serge and I just wanted to introduce myself to the rest of the Pcar guys!

Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Welcome to 6speed! You can pick up the 991 anytime you want if you need some relief during this long wait

Old 08-23-2012, 11:16 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
opnielsen,

Welcome to the Blender!

Congrats on the new car.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Fabolous is a jewel in the roughFabolous is a jewel in the roughFabolous is a jewel in the rough
Welcome Opneilsen! Which options did you get for your 991 daily driver? I plan on mine being one of my daily drivers also and curious what options others are getting.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:18 PM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fabolous
Welcome Opneilsen! Which options did you get for your 991 daily driver? I plan on mine being one of my daily drivers also and curious what options others are getting.
Thanks Fabolous! Extras that I'm getting is:
PDK
BOSE
Premium Package Plus with Adaptive
Sport Seats Plus (18 way)
Full leather
ParkAssist (front and rear)
SportDesign front apron
PDCC with PASM sport suspension
Sport Exhaust System
PCCB
Sport Chrono Package
20-inch SportTechno wheel
SportDesign steering wheel
Porsche Crest on headrests

I can't wait! I'm having a farewell party at VIR this weekend for my tt. This will be my last HPDE with the 997 tt.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by opnielsen
PDK
BOSE
Full leather
SportDesign front apron
Sport Exhaust System
PCCB
Sport Chrono Package

I can't wait! I'm having a farewell party at VIR this weekend for my tt. This will be my last HPDE with the 997 tt.
With that build, no need to mod the car to go to the track!
Hope that the 'farewell party' does not mean that you intend to kill the car at VIR

Old 08-24-2012, 12:20 AM
Back from the shop... quick update

Brembo 15" rear BBK got delivered and installed:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7848218306/
Includes stainless steel brake lines. Be cautious when installing to prevent them from touching the car body as it otherwise causes rattling

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7848218822/
20" rims are now nicely filled with the BBK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7848219316/
I also got the Agency Power muffler bypass reinstalled. Since it was/is pretty loud as such, the "Symposer" got disconnected (downstream from the diaphragm) to avoid even more noise in the cabin (will record and post sound clip when my replacement headers are installed).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7848219778/
And a quick teaser to finish for today: it is SO easy to do donuts with the 991. This totally useless and childish, but I had to give it a try. Will probably not do it again for the next 10 years. My son has a video clip but still need to edit it. Here's a pic with some rubber...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7849181802/

Old 08-24-2012, 02:22 PM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by opnielsen
PDK
BOSE
Full leather
SportDesign front apron
Sport Exhaust System
PCCB
Sport Chrono Package

Congrats on the order! Would you mind sharing which dealer you ordered from and what kind of deal you were able to get? You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Fabolous is a jewel in the roughFabolous is a jewel in the roughFabolous is a jewel in the rough
options

Originally Posted by mtony
Congrats on the order! Would you mind sharing which dealer you ordered from and what kind of deal you were able to get? You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!
I sent you a PM.

this is what i ordered on mine:

Burmester Audio Package
Premium Package Plus with Adaptive Sport Seats Plus
White
Cabriolet Roof in Red
Carrera Red natural leather interior
Deletion of Model Designation
Electric folding exterior mirrors
Performance Sport Exhaust System
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Sport Chrono Package
20-inch SportDesign wheel
Wheel spacers, 5 mm
Fire extinguisher
Smoking package
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
Interior Leather Natural leather interior
Multi-function steering wheel in Carbon incl. steering wheel heating
European Delivery
European Navigation on PCM

Old 08-24-2012, 03:08 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fabolous
Fire extinguisher
Awesome order but just as a heads up in case you're planning on doing DE's, the OEM fire extinguisher is not PCA-approved for the track.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal