SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:36 AM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
They keep improving
Yes they do! ....keep em coming

Old 09-02-2012, 07:49 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Back to your 356 pic, you posted "I was just out of Officer Candidate School and headed for flight school", but maybe I got it wrong.
Also, I do not know why my computer changed "You are" into "You ate" in my post

Sorry if I misunderstood you!
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was an Army Cobra pilot in Vietnam, later combat developments, then Bell Helicopter after retirement, and retired from Bell as Director, Advanced Programs in 2004 (where we mostly worked with the Marine Corps).

ChuckJ

Old 09-02-2012, 08:37 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was an Army Cobra pilot in Vietnam, later combat developments, then Bell Helicopter after retirement, and retired from Bell as Director, Advanced Programs in 2004 (where we mostly worked with the Marine Corps).

ChuckJ
Sorry for the misunderstanding and... RESPECT! I'll probably not be the first one to say it but thank you for your service Chuck!

Old 09-02-2012, 09:34 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Went to Caffeine & Octane today and would like to go on record for ranting about a previous topic again... the Fisker Karma

2 Karma's were present this morning and there was a permanent crowd of "enthusiasts" -who probably did not realized that the 2 cars had already costed them dearly-.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7913927742/
Obviously they forgot to put the Obama sticker on the rear bumper:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7913930190/
There was a blue car that I loved though: the new Subaru BRZ. I'll obviously not trade my 991S for it but I could see it in our family future. Still need to take it for a test drive.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7913929274/
One major disappointment though: the faux-grille at the top of the fenders. Really, Subaru?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7913928536/
Other than that, and despite the low hp output, the car looks and seems great from what I read.

Last edited by SM_ATL; 09-02-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:50 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Sorry for the misunderstanding and... RESPECT! I'll probably not be the first one to say it but thank you for your service Chuck!
Thanks, Serge but I've got to tell you for a scared guy drafted into the infantry, it turned out to be a great life after OCS.... and even better now that I'm retired!!

ChuckJ

Old 09-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
The Karma gets worse mileage than my A8 and cost millions more. From what I understand the battery company also supported my us is now going, or already gone, out of business. More millions down the drain.

I wish they would just let the market decide when technology advances as it is more efficient and less costly.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Sloopy
I wish they would just let the market decide when technology advances as it is more efficient and less costly.
Is it just me, or is there something more than subliminal here?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7919133046/
This forum is about cars, not about politics... But politicians should show the good example and not mess with cars

Old 09-03-2012, 09:36 PM
My 50 cents Labor Day mod

While my son (AM_ATL...) was having some fun with Plasti-dip on the GTI emblems, I thought I'd give a try at changing the appearance of the headlight washer nozzles (which were basically the only chrome parts left on the car).

The nozzle caps are pretty easy to remove: just pull a nozzle out, and keep it in place while you -carefully- pop out the cap:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7926712466/
Not sure I am going to leave it this way. Might as well go for Carrara white. The great thing with good old Plasti-dip is that it only takes 30s to remove it without leaving a trace!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7926713930/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7926713298/
Will visit my favorite tire shop later this week for a new pair of Michelin PSS for the rear. Recent donuts have finished to kill them

Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 PM
BMW CCA DE at Road Atlanta on 9/8-9

Spent last week end at Road Atlanta and brought a few video clips back. As usual, the kids have helped with the editing, but I selected the soundtrack myself (OK, worse than what teenagers are listening to for some of you ).

As you can see in the video, I had a very good instructor in the morning who had a very good feel for combining a smooth ride and the best possible line. When I ran solo, I did my best time on Road Atlanta (1 min 45 sec), but have no clue if this is any good in the grand scheme of things. It was good enough for me though!

You'll also notice a Scion FRS in the video. It turned out to be an amazing little car. Not fast in the straights of course, but real good in the turns. I like it ( or the Subaru BRZ) more and more.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:37 AM
ronaldvetteron is infamous around these partsronaldvetteron is infamous around these parts
Thanks for sharing. While not apples to apples, Black Swan in GTC at Petit last year ran qualifying lap of 1:24.543. There are comparisons out there, if memory serves, which says a 991 Carrera S set up comparably can run with a 997 GT3RS. A friend of mine who runs a GT3RS himself set up with full roll cage and slicks confirms when he has driven against a 991 Carrera S at Barber that this seems to approximately be true.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by ronaldvetteron
Thanks for sharing. While not apples to apples, Black Swan in GTC at Petit last year ran qualifying lap of 1:24.543. There are comparisons out there, if memory serves, which says a 991 Carrera S set up comparably can run with a 997 GT3RS. A friend of mine who runs a GT3RS himself set up with full roll cage and slicks confirms when he has driven against a 991 Carrera S at Barber that this seems to approximately be true.
Thanks Ron! I had the same experience with a 997 GT3RS in August at Barber. Maybe we are talking about the same guy

I hope you are doing fine and that you still enjoy the Cayman R!

Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 AM
ronaldvetteron is infamous around these partsronaldvetteron is infamous around these parts
Yes, dong great. Thanks for asking. The R now has 10,700 miles on it. I had oil and filter done at 10,000 and a new set of rears put on it (took a nail in the left rear and tread was worn enough that I replaced both). Changes are minimal as you had done a great job of outfitting it to my taste. As you can see in the Avatar I have a single R on the deck lid. I put an EVoms VFllow CAI on it. And, I put a titanium crest and silver wheel caps to go even more monochromatic. It is daily driven and I constantly get stopped, asked questions at stop lights about it. What a delight. Best, Ron

Old 09-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Like the music, but love the smoothness of your steering inputs!!

Chuck

Old 09-14-2012, 11:59 AM
poot991 is infamous around these parts

Just found this on youtube...someone's car getting the attention it deserves!!!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by poot991
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqrhSgCzv9E

Just found this on youtube...someone's car getting the attention it deserves!!!
Thanks for the heads up! I did not notice someone was filming a video
I am still running the Agency Power muffler bypasses so the sound of the car is definitely louder than stock!

Also came across a few shots taken the same day. Nicer pics than the 991 on this page!

http://jaroncole.com/caffeine-and-octane-september/

Last edited by SM_ATL; 09-14-2012 at 12:23 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal