SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Former Vendor
LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !
What an amazing thread...I just wasted my whole morning reading every single page.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:47 PM
hlee1169 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 998M
This is not fair.
You are trying to decide if you want to run your PSS or 888. I am trying to decide what winter tire I should buy L

I see that tirerack carries the Pirelli P Zero Corsa (track tire) in a 20”. For the low price of $878 per tire (sarcasm). What did the 888s cost? Might be cheaper for me to buy 19” rims and go with 888 than the silly cost of the Coras.
Come to the sunny California! Sorry I gibe.

Go with 19", like I did. Tirerack shows Toyo R888 goes $303 per tire for 235/35/19, and $311 for 295/30/19. The only problem is that they do not recommend highway driving on these.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:57 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hlee1169
I believe the RS is both lighter and has more HP, and probably shorter gearing too. By the way, how do you get the rear wheel smoking? PTV braking too much? I wonder if it will happen to me if I become more aggressive on the track.
True on the weight, hp and gearing. I've turned fast (to me) laps at both NJMP tracks and Limerock (62 seconds) with no brake or smoke issues whatsoever but the infield at Pocono is a series of sharp turns and it was a bit too much for the rear brakes to handle. I'd just replaced the rear pads prior to the event (with OEM) even though the fronts had ~40% left. I think it's almost definitely the PTV that is causing such heavy braking in the rear. On day 3, I did 15 all-out minutes in the infield (North course) and decided to pit in and check on the tires and brakes. That's when I saw all the smoke from the driver's side rear. A couple cool down runs in the pit lane and I was back in business but I learned the limits of the OEM pads that's for sure.

Anyway, the brakes on this day aside, the car continue to astound on the track performance-wise. Re durability, 7 track days in not a single issue (knock on wood) other than the brakes and tire wear.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:41 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai
My best lap at Pocono North this weekend (in street tires and OEM pads) was 1.02 and that took heavy smoke coming from my rear wheel (thank you PTV plus) followed by a prayer session that the car wouldn't go up in flames. My buddy turned in a 58.5 (on Hoosiers and Performance Friction pads).
So we are talking about a difference in lap time of 3.5s with the 991 runnning stock brakes and tires. I personally think it is pretty good !!

Talking about the potential of the 991, and I have not tracked a lot, throw in track tires and a BBK, and you would be extremely close to your buddy's time.

Still, with all the luxury you can dream of on the way back

Old 09-18-2012, 02:00 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hlee1169
Go with 19", like I did. Tirerack shows Toyo R888 goes $303 per tire for 235/35/19, and $311 for 295/30/19. The only problem is that they do not recommend highway driving on these.
Totally agree and the reason why I went for 19" inexpensive (rotary) forged rims + 888's. As far as the 888's are concerned, highway is probably OK for 150 miles trips -nothing scientific there-. I've traveled from Atlanta to Barber twice on 888's with no issue. They are noisy and surely not as comfortable as street tires, but have hold up OK. I had to stop and put my street tires back on the last time though as it was raining pretty hard and I started to hydroplane a little too much

Old 09-18-2012, 02:49 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
I had to stop and put my street tires back on the last time though as it was raining pretty hard and I started to hydroplane a little too much

Not sure I understand. Are you carrying the street tires with you while you are driving on the track tires. Or you had to stop off at home?

I think 888 would be fine on the highway. I used to drive my M3 all around with Hoosier DOT slicks. You would be blown away how fast you can take a cloverleaf with track tires

M

Old 09-18-2012, 03:13 PM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
Found out I still had a little crush on my OEM wheels and put them back on the car for the time being. I'll throw in 14mm spacers at the rear (got them already, just need the bolts). I am keeping the black wheels too and will use one set or the other depending on my mood -or track use if it rains and I want to run PSS instead of 888's-

Serge I love the clean look of those shoes, more classic then the black raw look, but then again I'm also Mr. OEM

Old 09-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by 998M
Not sure I understand. Are you carrying the street tires with you while you are driving on the track tires. Or you had to stop off at home?

I think 888 would be fine on the highway. I used to drive my M3 all around with Hoosier DOT slicks. You would be blown away how fast you can take a cloverleaf with track tires

M
I had my kids following in another car with the other set of wheels, tools for the track and my little tent and seats. I was too lazy to put the street tires on after the last Sunday session and had decided to drive back home on the 888's.
As you say 888's are fine most of the time and I read about people using them for daily driving too.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by LaneS@MAcarbon
What an amazing thread...I just wasted my whole morning reading every single page.
Thanks! I've seen a couple of nice new parts on your site. Since I already have the Porsche carbon fiber dash and console trim, I'd be afraid that your new parts would not match. Have you compared your product with Porsche's and do you think that the matching is fine? thx

Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 PM
hlee1169 is infamous around these parts
I had my kids following in another car with the other set of wheels, tools for the track and my little tent and seats. I was too lazy to put the street tires on after the last Sunday session and had decided to drive back home on the 888's.
As you say 888's are fine most of the time and I read about people using them for daily driving too.
Thanks for the info, this is great to know since it's about 200 miles from my home to the Thunderhill track in Northern California. I don't have the Toyo R888 yet, but I am considering it as my next stepping stone as my skills improves.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Of course I keep telling myself that I drove to the track in utter luxury while he drove an SUV with an aluminum trailer behind it
Not Mine

Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BrandonH
Not Mine

Old 09-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Not Mine
OK, I can understand the trailer with the track gear, but this one, really...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8001895220/
911 + Caravan, Clarkson would SO hate this

Last edited by SM_ATL; 09-18-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:30 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Clarckson would SO hate this
I love that guy

Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 PM
I love that guy
OK, I had to post this, even if it costs me some reputation

Here's the commercial for the launch of the 991:

And this is how I imagine Clarkson would have re-interpreted it:

Let me say that I love Porsche and Germany and that this is only making fun at people who wrote the darkest pages of the German history. This video was also a sarcastic response to a friend who kept telling me that my 911 is a glorified **** car.

For those of you who have not seen the attached video yet, here's Clarkson's own view of the equation "911 = tank"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal