SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
One of my CEOs at Bell Helicopter showed up with a C5 Corvette and a Porsche 911 and I was a little surprised that he wouldn't worry about his reputation. But then the next one showed up with a Harley.

ChuckJ
Yea; you wouldn't want someone to think that you were successful. Most people feel better when someone who runs a company or does work for them are as inept as the rest of the population.

I know when I go to the doctor, I always feel better if he shows up to work in an old Pinto with rusted fenders.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:03 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sloopy
Yea; you wouldn't want someone to think that you were successful. Most people feel better when someone who runs a company or does work for them are as inept as the rest of the population.

I know when I go to the doctor, I always feel better if he shows up to work in an old Pinto with rusted fenders.
It's something about Texas, but 80% of all the senior executives wanted to be cool and brought trucks to work.

ChuckJ

Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Not tired of it at all in fact. My 'dilemma' came from the fact that I am turning my 991 50% into a track car and keeping it 50% as a daily driver. In the end, it is not a GT3 and it is not a convenient DD either. Knowing that I do not want to spend way more $$$ on cars than I am today an initial idea was to replace the 991 by an OK fast DD (M3?) + dedicated track car.
A few drinks later, I was posting the disappeared message i quickly deleted when I got sober again

Truth of the matter is: the 991, PDK or not, is AMAZING. I'll dial it back a bit more to stock to make it more usable as DD (remove the muffler bypass and harness) and making it look a bit more OEM (not showing up at business meeting in what looked more and more like a race car), will continue to track the 991 and will wait for the economy to recover to think about a dedicated track car.
I'm in the same dilemma in many ways. To me, safety comes first though to my continued regret I haven't taken my own advice on that. IMO though, if you're driving fast on the track and have wisely gone through the expense of track seats, hans device, harnesses, etc. it's foolish to go back because you are close to the ideal setup as is available today. What's the alternative -- you get a dedicated track car that, unless it's a GT3 with slicks, track pads, etc., will be slower on the track and a daily driver (M3?) that is not as thrilling. It's too easy to be spoiled by the 991. And anyway if you love the PDK (as we do) the current GT3's are all out of the question anyway. Track-modded DFI Cayman? Let's face it -- from a 991, the lack of power on corner exit will probably irk you.

I don' know what the solution is but I do know that once you've tracked the 991 it's very hard to go backwards to another platform so you're prob better off working off that framework. Best guess on compromise is -- as you say -- tone down the 991 enough to make it a daily driver and still track it. Also you have years left on its warranty which is nice if/when parts start to break after tracking for a few years.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
One of my CEOs at Bell Helicopter showed up with a C5 Corvette and a Porsche 911 and I was a little surprised that he wouldn't worry about his reputation. But then the next one showed up with a Harley.

ChuckJ

This was a hard one for me. I have wanted a 911 since I was 5. Having a nicer car than my customers can be a real problem. Not to mention my industry is going through some tough times and I show up to a meeting with my employees in a new 911. I could hide it but I don’t think that is honest either. I have been very successful in another career and have a wife who is a physician. We work hard. My wife said to go for it and don’t look back. Easy said. It has caused some unpleasant comments. Disappointing that other people are not happy when you are successful. My CEO is in town next week. I have to borrow back the car I gave my nanny to use to pick him up.

Sorry for the thread hijack. I am a little riled up this week. Back to our regularly schedule thread.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:25 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai
I don' know what the solution is but I do know that once you've tracked the 991 it's very hard to go backwards to another platform so you're prob better off working off that framework. Best guess on compromise is -- as you say -- tone down the 991 enough to make it a daily driver and still track it. Also you have years left on its warranty which is nice if/when parts start to break after tracking for a few years.
That's what I'll do for the coming months. Had that very same conversation with my shop. Tracking is more about fun than best lap times... But you do not want to get frustrated when you got spoiled by the 991 either

Old 09-21-2012, 10:33 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 998M
This was a hard one for me. I have wanted a 911 since I was 5. Having a nicer car than my customers can be a real problem. Not to mention my industry is going through some tough times and I show up to a meeting with my employees in a new 911. I could hide it but I don’t think that is honest either. I have been very successful in another career and have a wife who is a physician. We work hard. My wife said to go for it and don’t look back. Easy said. It has caused some unpleasant comments. Disappointing that other people are not happy when you are successful. My CEO is in town next week. I have to borrow back the car I gave my nanny to use to pick him up.

Sorry for the thread hijack. I am a little riled up this week. Back to our regularly schedule thread.
No hijack at all and I am at the very same place (distressed industry and customers + a little delicate to talk about cost reduction with people that are emotional because they struggle to make ends meet... when you show up in a brand new luxury vehicle).
This being said, people with common sense should get it and your CEO even more. You bought your car with your money. Period. Easier said than done, but it is how I deal with it myself.
And BTW, my company President drives a Toyota Avalon... I know!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:44 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
One of my CEOs at Bell Helicopter showed up with a C5 Corvette and a Porsche 911 and I was a little surprised that he wouldn't worry about his reputation. But then the next one showed up with a Harley...and a truck.

ChuckJ
BTW, they were both fired for performance.

ChuckJ

Old 09-21-2012, 12:23 PM
BTW, they were both fired for performance.

ChuckJ
Wow, no Harley, no truck and no sports car... Should we all drive Warren Buffet's 10 year old Town Car to make sure we keep our job (although I read that he now has a Caddy DTS! So cool!)

Old 09-22-2012, 06:05 AM
ronaldvetteron is infamous around these partsronaldvetteron is infamous around these parts
Buffet is one of the most disingenuous people I have ever met. He was on the Board of a company where I was an executive (I will not name the company but it is in Atlanta and established in 1896...... ).

Old 09-22-2012, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Wow, no Harley, no truck and no sports car... Should we all drive Warren Buffet's 10 year old Town Car to make sure we keep our job (although I read that he now has a Caddy DTS! So cool!)
Not to worry, the next guy bought a truck also.

ChuckJ

Old 09-22-2012, 10:44 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ronaldvetteron
Buffet is one of the most disingenuous people I have ever met. He was on the Board of a company where I was an executive (I will not name the company but it is in Atlanta and established in 1896...... ).
Nobody in that position got there without trampling the folks on the way up!!

Old 09-22-2012, 12:02 PM
braindoc1 has a spectacular aura aboutbraindoc1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 998M

This really does touch on the heart of it...hard working successful people appreciate the benefits of that hard work, both in their own toys and in their peers'. The problem comes in the population of the "entitled". Unfortunately, this is an exponentially growing subgroup. This groups feels our hard work should benefit them; they are the ones making the "rich" comments behind our back. I agree with Sloopy, successful people should be allowed to display that success as they see fit. I have "clients" ask me what I drive as a way of measuring my competency. Is that right? Of course not, but people will be making judgements based on perception long after we are gone from this world.

My 991 S is a DD, and the only time i feel uncomfortable is when I pick my kids up from high school.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Dangerois is infamous around these partsDangerois is infamous around these parts
New member to 6speed. First post. Sm-ATL your thread single-handedly got me to join. Nice work, keep it coming.

Just picked up my 991 s on Friday, white with sport techno wheels painted black.

Braindoc couldn't have said it better.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dangerois
New member to 6speed. First post. Sm-ATL your thread single-handedly got me to join. Nice work, keep it coming.

Just picked up my 991 s on Friday, white with sport techno wheels painted black.

Braindoc couldn't have said it better.
Congrats! Please post some pics!!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Dangerois
New member to 6speed. First post.
Congratulations, I am honored to have your first post on 6speed in this thread!! Please post pics quickly. I am curious to see a white 991 with the techno wheels!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal