SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:09 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
All the 991's I saw at the dealership had clear side markers, but maybe these were vehicles pre-ordered and spec'd by the dealership, so they may have chosen to go with clear side markers from scratch.

Regarding the bulbs:

For the LEDs: http://aznoptics.com/index.php?main_...&products_id=8

For the Hoen Chromium: http://www.hoen-usa.com/cr.htm

Both are only $19 a pair!
I just wanna say love this thread too and all the amazing pics and info. Thanks a lot lot lot.

I've had the clear markers with the yellow egg yolk for a while now and even though my oem orange markers came with clear bulbs inside that I possibly could use (not sure if LED or what) I decided to order a set of the LED ones you mentioned and the link you gave is great, very much appreciated. For 19 bucks can't go wrong to at least have a set to try and see if the light/brightness is better than the oem clear bulb that came inside the orange marker. I dunno if that makes any sense but anyway, hehe. Great stuff. Paid with google wallet and took like 20 seconds to order, love it.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:58 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nicoli
I just wanna say love this thread too and all the amazing pics and info. Thanks a lot lot lot.

I've had the clear markers with the yellow egg yolk for a while now and even though my oem orange markers came with clear bulbs inside that I possibly could use (not sure if LED or what) I decided to order a set of the LED ones you mentioned and the link you gave is great, very much appreciated. For 19 bucks can't go wrong to at least have a set to try and see if the light/brightness is better than the oem clear bulb that came inside the orange marker. I dunno if that makes any sense but anyway, hehe. Great stuff. Paid with google wallet and took like 20 seconds to order, love it.
Thanks! My only issue with the LEDs is that the 991 DRLs are in fact more bluish-purple than the LEDs (the LEDs are a good match for the Xenon headlights but strangely Porsche has opted for a different color/temperature for the DRLs ).

Old 10-04-2012, 07:18 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
991S Cab or Boxter S ?

Dropped by at the dealership today to see my favorite salesman (be sure to ask for David G. if you do business with Porsche Hennessy!) and found two white beauties parked at the front door:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8055215802/
I must say that if I was on the market for a cab' , I'd struggle to pick one over the other.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8055215931/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8055216259/
The 911 has its iconic shape but I love the modern and sleek look of the Boxter too (maybe a bit Carrera GT-esque). The engine choice would probably be determining as I had the 3.4DFI in my previous Cayman R and it fell somewhat short in terms of torque. This is what Porsche wants us to do anyhow as they deliberately 'castrate' the Boxster/Cayman platforms with the engine offering.

Anyway, there are many threads about this topic already, I mostly wanted to share the 3 pics I took as it was nice to see the 2 cars in the same color side by side.

PS: looking more closely at the 991, it seems that the SportTechno wheels have a more aggressive offset and may not require any spacer to sit nicely flush. Maybe I am wrong...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8055215679/

Old 10-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
991S Cab or Boxter S ?

Dropped by at the dealership today to see my favorite salesman (be sure to ask for David G. if you do business with Porsche Hennessy!) and found two white beauties parked at the front door:

I must say that if I was on the market for a cab' , I'd struggle to pick one over the other.

The 911 has its iconic shape but I love the modern and sleek look of the Boxter too (maybe a bit Carrera GT-esque). The engine choice would probably be determining as I had the 3.4DFI in my previous Cayman R and it fell somewhat short in terms of torque. This is what Porsche wants us to do anyhow as they deliberately 'castrate' the Boxster/Cayman platforms with the engine offering.

Anyway, there are many threads about this topic already, I mostly wanted to share the 3 pics I took as it was nice to see the 2 cars in the same color side by side.

PS: looking more closely at the 991, it seems that the SportTechno wheels have a more aggressive offset and may not require any spacer to sit nicely flush. Maybe I am wrong...
Oooooooh that sports design bumper looks really good!
Previously I've found it looked a bit too "squished" or busy... making the car look less wide from the front.
Damn was I ever wrong!

I had just resigned myself to waiting for a 991 GT3 appearance package to come out and retrofit that on my 991 C4S, but that will be some time still and this... wow this looks so much better than I've seen in other pics that I'm seriously considering adding it to my build!

Wowwww that looks good!!
Maybe it looks so much better because it's on a white car...

Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Maybe it looks so much better because it's on a white car...
Yes, white cars are awesome and it is definitely the fastest color (because it reflects more photons that transfer kinetic energy to the car)

Old 10-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Yes, white cars are awesome and it is definitely the fastest color (because it reflects more photons that transfer kinetic energy to the car)
hahahaha ewwwwpfff that made laugh!
Damn the worst thing is... that actually sounds plausible hahahahaha ohhh dude I'm crying... pfewwww I've really got to get out more!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Talking about flush wheels, 14mm spacers for the rear is the way to go if you are running OEM rims like the Carrera Classics. H&R spacers are inexpensive, light and work pretty well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8041795588/
I am running Porsche 5mm spacers at the front with all my wheel sets. I only use the rear spacers with the Carrera Classics (that I do not take to the track anyhow).

Old 10-04-2012, 08:40 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
I appreciate the side by side pics....I'm VERY fond of the new Boxster.....dare I say, aesthetically I like the Boxster better than the 991...love the mid engine aspect as well....with another 50 or so HP that would be a hell of a car!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:54 PM
arthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nice
991S Cab or Boxter S ?

Firstly I would love to reiterate everyone else's sentiment that this is a brilliant running commentary on the life of your 991. Thoroughly enjoyable reading!

Secondly, thanks for posting the 981 and 991 next to each other as its the first time I have seen a picture of a Carrara White and White car together! It clearly shows the difference in the two colours. Definitely more clinical in White but still looks good. I can now rest easy with my order of a White 991S Cab.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Dangerois is infamous around these partsDangerois is infamous around these parts
SM_ATL,

Was thinking about putting 5 mm wheel spacers. i have sport techno wheels. It looks like that would be enough. Or based on your last post, is it not necessary?

Old 10-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Dangerois
SM_ATL,

Was thinking about putting 5 mm wheel spacers. i have sport techno wheels. It looks like that would be enough. Or based on your last post, is it not necessary?
Techno Wheels look more flush, but I do not know the actual offset. In any case, 5mm is not much and can't do no harm
If you want to install the spacers yourself (extremely easy), you can save $150 and order them from Suncoast.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:42 AM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dangerois
SM_ATL,

The sport techno wheels are 5 mm wider at the center compared to other OEM wheels, that's why you are not able to order 5 mm spacers with that wheel from the factory. However I don't think it would do any harm to add spacers to the wheel.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by opnielsen
The sport techno wheels are 5 mm wider at the center compared to other OEM wheels, that's why you are not able to order 5 mm spacers with that wheel from the factory. However I don't think it would do any harm to add spacers to the wheel.
Ok, so that's the explanation! As Opnielsen says, another 5mm would not be a problem, just make sure that your bolts are long enough (in case the Techno Wheels would already come with the longer bolts that are part of the 5mm spacer kit and that would then be too short if you throw 5mm spacers on top of it).

Old 10-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Dangerois is infamous around these partsDangerois is infamous around these parts
Info is much appreciated!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Fabspeed Sport Headers with 200 cell Sportcats

Got the Fabspeed headers installed today. Happy with the results: throttle more responsive and exhaust (a bit) louder, but not too much. The product looks very high quality. I may try the Maxflo side mufflers at some point in the future too, but I'd probably stick with the PSE itself vs. the X-pipe race exhaust that is advertised as having a "very aggressive exhaust note" (probably too much for my neighborhood ).

Here are 2 pics taken during the install.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8058235421/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8058235265/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal