SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:35 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
The MACarbon interior door sills are superb, you made an excellent choice!
I think I'll take a closer look at MACarbon parts I was afraid they would not match the OEM CF trim but they seem to look exactly the same!
Yeah, the CF trims are very close, and very happy with it...the basic sills look so boring compared to these! Love your car...great job!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:48 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JCBH
Yeah, the CF trims are very close, and very happy with it...the basic sills look so boring compared to these! Love your car...great job!
Thanks! I LOVE your color combo, and red interior + CF trim!!

I already checked for the inside CF sills on Suncoast and MACarbon and did not see them. Was it a custom order? Did you order directly from MACarbon or through Suncoast? Hope you do not mind if I end up stealing your idea for this great mod!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
Thanks! I LOVE your color combo, and red interior + CF trim!!

I already checked for the inside CF sills on Suncoast and MACarbon and did not see them. Was it a custom order? Did you order directly from MACarbon or through Suncoast? Hope you do not mind if I end up stealing your idea for this great mod!
I ordered them directly from MACarbon and they were terrific...speak to John Borchelt or Lane...both nice guys and offer great service. MACarbon took them off their site - not sure why, but they should be available. They are actually a lot nicer than the OEM outer sills (which use more plastic).

Old 10-11-2012, 10:44 PM
TOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really nice
I am sure you have not heard this before but awesome thread! Quick question are the pics you posted with the Classic Rims above with the 5mm spacers in front and 14mm in the back as you mentioned before. IF so it looks great-could you post a few more pics of the car with this set up.

Thanks a million

Old 10-12-2012, 07:43 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TOPorschefan
I am sure you have not heard this before but awesome thread! Quick question are the pics you posted with the Classic Rims above with the 5mm spacers in front and 14mm in the back as you mentioned before. IF so it looks great-could you post a few more pics of the car with this set up.

Thanks a million
Will do it early next week and take a few close up pics of the car to show the impact of the spacers. Right now I have the car prepped up with the track wheels on for the week end.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Will do it early next week and take a few close up pics of the car to show the impact of the spacers. Right now I have the car prepped up with the track wheels on for the week end.
You probably already know this but just in case... make sure you use anti-seize on those posts they have been know to snap...
Also once you have your DD wheels with spacers mounted you can mark the posts and cut the protruding section off, file them smooth and just give them a little shot with black tremclad... I know painting the bud-end (and if need be nuts) sound ridicules but I find it better than the notorious rusted nuts and or posts!

Cheers!

Old 10-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
You probably already know this but just in case... make sure you use anti-seize on those posts they have been know to snap...
Also once you have your DD wheels with spacers mounted you can mark the posts and cut the protruding section off, file them smooth and just give them a little shot with black tremclad... I know painting the bud-end (and if need be nuts) sound ridicules but I find it better than the notorious rusted nuts and or posts!

Cheers!
Thanks for the advice! I'll probably will cut the protruding section off when I have spacers back on the car. At least the nuts are black already!

Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Rollbar Mount for GoPro

The car is ready for the track and I installed a new Rollbar mount for the GoPro. The mount is available online form Eyeofmine (www.eyeofmineactioncameras.com) for only $39 is is great value for money.

The car, ready for tomorrow...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8080162677/
...and the camera mount
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8080556130/

Old 10-12-2012, 02:13 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Where are you headed tomorrow? Is that a remote coming out the side of the GoPro? Does it just start and stop or does it do more?

You guys down south get a lot of track time. Our last one of the season is coming next Friday.

Marc

Old 10-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by 998M
Where are you headed tomorrow? Is that a remote coming out the side of the GoPro? Does it just start and stop or does it do more?

You guys down south get a lot of track time. Our last one of the season is coming next Friday.

Marc
This week end is Atlanta Motorsports Park. Recently opened and only about 20 minutes from where I live... I may look at a membership for next year
Sure we have a lot of track time in the South, but tracking in the July-August heat takes a toll on the driver and the car. I should not complain though! Next time will be at Road Atlanta for Thanksgiving weekend.

The cable coming out of the GoPro is just a USB for power and downloads, but I use the wifi remote system with the recently released iPhone app.

Enjoy your track event next Friday!

Last edited by SM_ATL; 10-14-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 PM
One last indulgence before going to the track...
I paid a visit to the Stand 21 (Porsche Motorsports' official gear supplier) store located next to Road Atlanta this week to get me a new pair of gloves and track shoes. A little pricey but totally worth it. Great quality and very comfortable. OK, the "Porsche" logo may be a bit show off, but nothing to be ashamed off

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8081088542/

Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 AM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
One last indulgence before going to the track...
I paid a visit to the Stand 21 (Porsche Motorsports' official gear supplier) store located next to Road Atlanta this week to get me a new pair of gloves and track shoes. A little pricey but totally worth it. Great quality and very comfortable. OK, the "Porsche" logo may be a bit show off, but nothing to be ashamed off

Sweet! Now I know what I want for Christmas.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by opnielsen
Sweet! Now I know what I want for Christmas.
I'll talk to Santa...

Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Audi HPDE @ Atlanta Motorsports Park

Just spent the week end at Atlanta Motorsports Park, participating to an Audi DE. This is a new track that has just been opened for a few months. No need to post one more review of the 991 on the track, the car was just as amazing as usual.

I have had more mixed feelings about the track itself... During the first session, I just completely hated it: slow, so 'full of turns' that the traffic was very dense and slow, with only two relatively short straights that were the only passing zones for the intermediate level, etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8092424455/
The fact of the matter is that the track is relatively technical and you get to like it more and more as you learn it and go faster (my first lap time was 2:15 and the last one 1:35). Sunday afternoon was a lot of fun and you can really take the car close to its limits. Still, the track would be even better with one or two longer straights that would allow to hit and sustain higher speeds and 'relax' a bit between two laps (you can hit 120 mph+ on the front straight but have to jump on the brakes immediately). Barber is from that perspective a more balanced track: technical but with a couple of faster sections. Just a personal opinion, and I do not have much track experience

To give a better idea, here's an in-car video from the last session: a 'passing game' with a respectable 30 year old bimmer (with a more recent M3 engine though). Do not look at the driving line, the goal was precisely to gain open passing experience anywhere around the track. This is where the 991 makes its driver look very good: it is so composed and predictable that you can literally place it anywhere you want and control its trajectory within a few inches with the throttle if you happen to go a bit sideways.

I also tried my son's MK6 GTI for one session and this is where you measure all the refinement of a Porsche. The GTI has power and torque (APR stage 2+), improved suspension (coilovers and bigger sway bars) and brakes (BBK at the front), but, on top of being a FWD, it was of course less stable and much slower. Once I got used to it -it was the first time I was tracking it- it was still fun and driving with a lower performance car forces you to improve your line, but being passed by an Audi station wagon is still frustrating No regrets though and one should keep in mind that you can buy 4 VW's for the price of a 911...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8092432263/
We also got some good company during the event with what looked like a -very nice- ordinary R8 V8...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8084108780/
...which had been turbocharged to 660hp!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8084113141/
Not sure at all I would go for a track membership one day. I'll need to go back a few more times to make up my mind.

Last edited by SM_ATL; 10-15-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:40 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
SM_ATL, Looks like another great weekend. From the video, I like the track.
Lots of elevation changes. Looks like some slow and fast corners. Lots of variety. I am surprised that any DE program let you all do that much mixing it up. Looks like fun.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal