SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:06 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Drive it safely and in good health! I am finally getting my 991 on a track (VIR Nov. 2-4). If I like it enough, I will consider doing exactly what you are doing. Which reminds me, I need to sign up for track insurance at $700/ event. Anyway, a 996 might be the perfect car to make into a track car - god balance of cost and performance. Enjoy!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
Drive it safely and in good health! I am finally getting my 991 on a track (VIR Nov. 2-4). If I like it enough, I will consider doing exactly what you are doing. Which reminds me, I need to sign up for track insurance at $700/ event. Anyway, a 996 might be the perfect car to make into a track car - god balance of cost and performance. Enjoy!
I am looking forward to get your feedback about VIR! I definitely want to get there in the coming months!.
Your point about the $700 per event for insurance is perfectly right. You can get it down to $500 if you buy for 9 or 12 events in one time, but deductibles are still very high and the value of your 991 will still get a big hit in case of a crash. Not a reason for not enjoying the 991 on the track though, but something to take into account when you do the math for a trackday car (no insurance, parts can be salvaged or repairs can remain relatively affordable).

you'll get a blast at the track and you'll get the virus like many of us did
Enjoy!

Old 10-24-2012, 07:27 AM
TWI
TWI has a spectacular aura aboutTWI has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like you are on the right 'track' and considering that the shocks on the car may be 10 years old, the coil overs with new shocks will probably give you the best bang for your buck so I would revert to your recommendation to do that before you do the brakes. The factory brakes with the appropriate pads are very effective.

The wheels that the 996 has on it are among, if not, the lightest factory wheels you can get. I would not toss them out yet. When it comes to wheels, make sure that you consider (a) clearance over brakes and (b) availability/cost of good track tires. I would hate to see you buy a set of wider wheels that don't have good options for tires or which create clearance issues for your future brake goals. Regarding tires for trackday use when you are not looking for every tenth of a second but want sticky tires that will last and be consistent for numerous events, I like the RA1's a little better than the R888, but both are a lot better than street tires.

I think the 996 will make a great trackday car and there are probably a couple hundred pounds you could get out of it which would be reversible should your needs for the car change or should you decide to sell. Exhaust modifications always make the car feel faster, and that is worth a lot. My personal opinion is that money you spend on trying to make more power will be money wasted. You'll get the most return off of tires, suspension and brakes. Some of the funnest laps I have ever done at Road Atlanta were in a MX5 Cup Miata which is probably a 12lb/hp car (I don't know the exact specs on it).

Two weeks ago, I took my 997S on the track for the first time. It was not intended, but the motor in my race car is sick and we already had the track (Little Tally) rented for the day to get a friend out on the track for his first time so I just took it out to use up the tires currently on it since I have a set of wheels with new tires mounted sitting the corner of the garage. I was real impressed with the performance and if it had been outfitted with stickier tires (the Michelin Pilot Sports were good so far as street tires go) I could have pushed it a little harder.

Buying a track car is a slippery slope. Next thing you'll have a trailer, then a truck, then a . . . well, you have been in the pits at the track. You know where you are headed.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Just make it like spec 996. Coilovers, adjustable suspension pieces, exhaust and weight reduction. Those cars are pretty fast. I have a couple buddies with them completely race out and they can do 1:32-1:33 at road Atlanta on slicks. You should be able to keep your car streetlegal and have it capable of high 1:30's.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:15 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Good luck! I always remember Toyota's punchline . "The best used cars come from the best new cars" or something like that. Modify that slightly and now you have " The best track car comes from the best " fill in the blanks" . And I do not think that is a 996. I had a 1999 C2. it was a great car, light and nimble compared with all the "other" Porsches but at 296 horses (and a few ponies) I could drive it at "my limit" on the streets. Did some X work and really could drive the wheels of that thing, still feeling in control. Must say, this is no longer the case with my 996TT. So my car smiles at me when I try to outdo myself and gives some more.. great feeling :-)

Old 10-24-2012, 03:36 PM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
What excuse are you going to use now when you fly around the track in record time? The old "It's no me it's the 991 that is such a great car" won't cut it anymore

Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by opnielsen
What excuse are you going to use now when you fly around the track in record time? The old "It's no me it's the 991 that is such a great car" won't cut it anymore
Thanks but I'll worry about being fast once I'll have 'learnt' the new car I am eager to be on the track with a more basic ride and without the gizmo's that make me look good. Even if I am slower and miss the 991 speed and refinement, I am hoping to have more fun!

Maybe I am already making up excuses for when you'll leave me in the dust with your beautiful new 991

Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Just make it like spec 996. Coilovers, adjustable suspension pieces, exhaust and weight reduction. Those cars are pretty fast. I have a couple buddies with them completely race out and they can do 1:32-1:33 at road Atlanta on slicks. You should be able to keep your car streetlegal and have it capable of high 1:30's.
Thanks for the input. I'd be extremely happy to eventually get to these lap times with the 996. I am not looking at setting any record, but with these times, it must be plenty of fun!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:39 PM
New thread started for the 2003 Seal Gray Carrera Build!: SM_ATL's 2003 Carrera Project.
First mods tomorrow... very basic stuff... have to start somewhere

Also have a few goodies on order for the 991... probably for early next week!

Old 10-26-2012, 05:08 AM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
New thread started for the 2003 Seal Gray Carrera Build!: SM_ATL's 2003 Carrera Project.
First mods tomorrow... very basic stuff... have to start somewhere

Also have a few goodies on order for the 991... probably for early next week!
Come on Serge, spill over! What do you have on order??????

Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Come on Serge, spill over! What do you have on order??????
Really small stuff this time: carbon fiber chrono eyelid and door sills. Just improving the CF trim theme I started with the seats, dashboard & console.
It sure will not make me go any faster

Old 10-26-2012, 09:03 AM
I spent a few hours (only ) at Petit Le Mans last week end. Flying Lizard's, my favorite team, fought hard but did not do very well as you probably know. It was great to see them fight hard against the Corvette's:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8107444568/
I even brought back a little souvenir for my 991:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8107444846/
And then a press release was issued this morning indicating that Lizard's may leave Porsche in 2013 :http://www.lizardms.com/news/releases/2012/oct-26.html.
They surely are struggling against the competition with the current 997 based car, but I think this is a shortsighted move. I am convinced that Porsche will be back at the top of its game in 2014 and by then the lizards may be stuck with inferior cars and no more great Porsche factory driver.

Time will tell...

Last edited by SM_ATL; 10-26-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Quick Friday night neighborhood gathering
I thought Opnielsen would have been the first to post this, but here I am we're 3 911 enthusiasts and neighbors and took a couple of pics of our current toys last night: from left to right, a 997S (991S is on order...), my 991S, Opnielsen's new beautiful black 991S and my 996 project car. I know, this is a bit childish, but hey, it's all about having fun. Life is so short!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8126357233/

Old 10-27-2012, 09:53 AM
I thought Opnielsen would have been the first to post this, but here I am we're 3 911 enthusiasts and neighbors and took a couple of pics of our current toys last night: from left to right, a 997S (991S is on order...), my 991S, Opnielsen's new beautiful black 991S and my 996 project car. I know, this is a bit childish, but hey, it's all about having fun. Life is so short!

I guess you still have the Pernod in your body, I believe the lineup is from right to left

Old 10-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !

Hahaha I love it!!!
Damn that looks good.
btw I read somewhere (a while ago) that the Flying Lizard team was suppose to get the first GT3's when they roll of the assembly line... it's a shame that's for sure!

I guess you still have the Pernod in your body, I believe the lineup is from right to left

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 10-27-2012 at 10:04 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal