SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:27 PM
braindoc1 has a spectacular aura aboutbraindoc1 has a spectacular aura about
You guys are , ROTFLMAO!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
MAcarbon CF chrono eyelid

MAcarbon turned my order around quickly and the carbon fiber chrono eyelid was delivered today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8137117849/
Here are a few pics of the install in case you are tempted to order this part (and if you like CF: Do it!).

step 1: pop out the chrono console. You can simply use the trim tool provided by MAcarbon together with your order. Pay attention to disconnect the wires connected to the A/C sensor and the chrono.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8137146856/
step 2: remove the chrono (2 screws) and then the OEM eyelid (2 screws). This is a picture taken from under the console with the chrono removed and the eyelid still in place.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8137118311/
step 3: just re-assemble, reconnect the wires and push the console back into the dashboard (it attaches with sturdy clips).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8137147244/
I'll post a couple of pics taken under the daylight tomorrow. From what I have seen, there is a good match between the OEM CF and the MAcarbon parts.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Quick Friday night neighborhood gathering
I thought Opnielsen would have been the first to post this, but here I am we're 3 911 enthusiasts and neighbors and took a couple of pics of our current toys last night: from left to right, a 997S (991S is on order...), my 991S, Opnielsen's new beautiful black 991S and my 996 project car. I know, this is a bit childish, but hey, it's all about having fun. Life is so short!

I need to find new neighbors!! JEALOUS!!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:53 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dhill911
I need to find new neighbors!! JEALOUS!!
Come on, move down to sunny Georgia!... The more the merrier!

Old 10-29-2012, 09:17 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
MAcarbon CF chrono eyelid

MAcarbon turned my order around quickly and the carbon fiber chrono eyelid was delivered today.

Here are a few pics of the install in case you are tempted to order this part (and if you like CF: Do it!).

step 1: pop out the chrono console. You can simply use the trim tool provided by MAcarbon together with your order. Pay attention to disconnect the wires connected to the A/C sensor and the chrono.

step 2: remove the chrono (2 screws) and then the OEM eyelid (2 screws). This is a picture taken from under the console with the chrono removed and the eyelid still in place.

step 3: just re-assemble, reconnect the wires and push the console back into the dashboard (it attaches with sturdy clips).

I'll post a couple of pics taken under the daylight tomorrow. From what I have seen, there is a good match between the OEM CF and the MAcarbon parts.
I really like this - great stuff. Thanks

Old 10-31-2012, 04:51 PM
SujanPatel is infamous around these parts
Solution to the buffeting problem?

Thanks, the pleasure is all mine!

Here's something that could of (even) more interest a patent attorney

While I was on the track (Road Atlanta) today, we spent some time experimenting with my instructor in the hope of finding a solution to the buffeting issue (you easily go above 130 mph in the backstraight). Popping up the sunroof is a perfect fix, but of course we got black flagged immediately

David, my instructor, then tried to create a 'deflector' with his hand placed at different positions. From what he found out, it looks like the new position of the rear view mirror on the door contributes significantly to the buffeting. With certain hand positions, the buffeting completely disappeared.

Porsche should with no doubt find a fix for this in the wind tunnel and maybe come out with a new rear few mirror shape (or with some kind of aerodynamic feature), but in the meantime, someone who would be willing to fabricate a clip-on deflector as shown on the next picture would solve the problem.

This would of course require some true design and experimenting, but this was an interesting finding.

The weather was very bad this morning, so I'll also post a few pics and impressions of the 991S on a wet track
Great Post and thanks for sharing the buffeting issues. I've been trying to figure it out what was going since I went to the track and reached 80ph+

Old 11-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Carbon Fiber door sills

CF door sills were shipped from Germany through Suncoast in less than 2 weeks and arrived yesterday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8146441147/
Overall, the install is pretty simple as the door sills are only attached with double sided tape. Well... it looks like Porsche is using tape that is made to last 2,000 years: the stock sills will be bent and damaged during the removal process (maybe the use of a heatgun could help) and you then end up with a bunch of tape that will easily take you one hour to remove. Real PITA, but worth it in the end

Here's the evil tape :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8147805424/
And the final result:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8146441439/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8147805648/
No further mods on the 991 in the short term, the 996 is the priority until Thxgiving!

Old 11-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Looks good Serge!
How's the fit?

Old 11-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Looks good Serge!
How's the fit?
Thanks!
Fit is just fine. As good as the stock part.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:55 PM
DG_Hennessy is infamous around these parts
Another 911??

Old 11-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by DG_Hennessy
Another 911??
Yes but an 'old' one
Just so that I can keep my 991S clean and intact to trade it in for something faster when it will start itching again... Unless my wife wants to leave a kid or two home and replace her gas guzzling QX56 by one of these new Cayenne Diesel sooner

Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
Your sills look great...I got the Suncoast carbon sills as well, and also got the MACarbon sills (first). They look great together. Here is a photo. Great job on the mods. Fun to follow.

Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by JCBH
Your sills look great...I got the Suncoast carbon sills as well, and also got the MACarbon sills (first). They look great together. Here is a photo. Great job on the mods. Fun to follow.
Superb!... and shall I say very tempting
BTW, did you replace the sills yourself? I was gone this week end and have not had the time to remove the tape on the passenger side Just checking if you did not have a bright idea to make it easier (tried all kinds of clear coat friendly stuff without great results. Patience was the only way for the first one I installed)?

Old 11-07-2012, 05:22 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
Superb!... and shall I say very tempting
BTW, did you replace the sills yourself? I was gone this week end and have not had the time to remove the tape on the passenger side Just checking if you did not have a bright idea to make it easier (tried all kinds of clear coat friendly stuff without great results. Patience was the only way for the first one I installed)?
I did replace them myself and got a bunch of the tape off, but not all...just put the new stuff over...not super tight but only I would ever notice...it is pretty snug and good enough...I too lost patience. Crazy amount of tape on there from the factory.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=Psycho Sid;3685905]I've been looking around to find those full carbon interior sills you've got there... haven't been able to find them (incl. MACarbon site)...
would you mind if I ask how you got them, how much and how long it took to get them.

Thanks!

BTW everytime I see your profile pic/avatar I start second guessing my C4S color choices... your 991 looks VERY good!!

Thanks! I got them from MACarbon - call and ask for John or Lane - not sure why they are off the site, but they got them for me and they were terrific in sales and service. Parts are very high quality. I think they were like $700 or so with core exchange and got them within a few days...if they have them in stock. Hope that helps!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal