SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
No, it has to do with Porsche's fleet EPA ratings. If a car can be programmed to always be in Sport/PSE mode then Porsche would lose the ability to included the higher, non-sport MPG ratings in its overall EPA fleet numbers.
LOL what made you decide to answer a post from Feb?
That said, your answer makes total sense, thanks.
Cheers!

Old 12-12-2012, 05:50 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
No, it has to do with Porsche's fleet EPA ratings. If a car can be programmed to always be in Sport/PSE mode then Porsche would lose the ability to included the higher, non-sport MPG ratings in its overall EPA fleet numbers.
Makes perfect sense. But totally stinks The 'fleet MPG rating' going on around the world is a complete joke and hypocritical approach. I heard this was also the reason why Aston Martin was selling a rebadged Toyota micro-car. At the end of the day, do all the smart environmentalist minds who come up with this nonsense realize it has ZERO impact on how much gas I am going to burn?

I am taking the car for a quick spin at 8mpg to achieve my daily CO2 emission quota

Old 12-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Makes perfect sense. But totally stinks The 'fleet MPG rating' going on around the world is a complete joke and hypocritical approach. I heard this was also the reason why Aston Martin was selling a rebadged Toyota micro-car. At the end of the day, do all the smart environmentalist minds who come up with this nonsense realize it has ZERO impact on how much gas I am going to burn?

I am taking the car for a quick spin at 8mpg to achieve my daily CO2 emission quota
Well one good thing about the real and/or imagined ways they reduce the gas consumption/emissions is that you don't have to pay the $5K gas "guzzler tax"!

Old 12-20-2012, 06:38 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Back to square one...

I have now gone full circle and my 991S is back to stock OK, I left the springs, the front lip and CF trim on it, but I have removed all the mods I had done to take the car on the track. I really felt it was useless to continue to depreciate these mods for years on the car if I do not need them (I hope I am not going to wreck my track 996 too soon ).

While I was doing this I even asked myself if it really made sense to keep two 911's (even if they are meant for different purposes) and considered a sport sedan... or even a Cayenne (go ahead and crucify me). Now that the car is -almost- back to stock, I fell in love with it like on the first day. It is pure Zuffenhausen beauty and a lesson in smooth on the road.
I'll simply enjoy more the 'GT' side of the 991 while I'll beet the cr@p out of the 996.

So, I have a bunch of parts that are all still pretty new and in a good shape for sale (GT2 CF seats, Brembo 380mm GT brakes -front & rear-, Fabspeed headers and sport cats, SpeedArt wing, a set of 19" Red Victo Innsbrucks and a tow hook ).
If anyone is interested in something, just send me a PM. You may want to include your email address as it would be a lot easier to communicate (6speed's PM system is a PITA!).

Happy Holidays to you all!

Old 12-21-2012, 06:11 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
sub', i love this post..

Old 12-21-2012, 06:23 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
sub...

Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Confusing experience

Yesterday has been very disturbing. A well informed source had told me that Hennessy had just received a 2007 GT3 and my 'Porsche ambassador' -David- has been kind enough to let me give it a spin despite the pretty bad weather.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8295906116/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8295906300/
I KNOW that the 991S is a better -or let's say more modern and sophisticated- and faster car, but the test drive left me all confused. The sound and vibration of the engine, the way it revs, the road feel through the steering wheel, the crazy strong ceramic brakes and the alcantara cabin made it a delightful experience (it almost made me disregard the aged PCM2 and the very hard clutch). This is simply what I am trying to accomplish with my 996 project car, but simply more balanced, accurate and powerful

I was not far from thinking that this was all the car I needed and get rid of my 991S and track 996 to spend as much time as I could in this one I went back on the same road with my 991S is Sport Plus mode and it was effortlessly faster and much smoother, but, somehow, something was missing. This has nothing to do with all the usual controversies of 997 vs 991's, but more about a GT3 vs a more polished 911.

I guess the 991 GT3 is going to be a fantastic car and a very, very tempting thing

PS: the guy who traded the GT3 in was taking delivery of a 991S, so going the other way (991S to a GT3) would be crazy

Last edited by SM_ATL; 12-21-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:50 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
I think the GT3 is a DIFFERENT car for a different driver. It is a limited edition, prepped car for the enthusiast. I may end up in one too. Sort of the "final edition" of a real drivers car with few nannies, unapologetic and brash. Like me :-)

Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by hroussard
I think the GT3 is a DIFFERENT car for a different driver
That's a simple and correct way to put it.
It may not necessarily be for a 'different' driver though as any 911 enthusiast would love it. The question would be whether the enthusiast would daily drive it or not. The 991 misses some of the GT3 spicy personality but has the advantage to be very versatile (smooth GT and faster sportscar at the same time).

Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Confusing experience

Yesterday has been very disturbing. A well informed source had told me that Hennessy had just received a 2007 GT3 and my 'Porsche ambassador' -David- has been kind enough to let me give it a spin despite the pretty bad weather.

I KNOW that the 991S is a better -or let's say more modern and sophisticated- and faster car, but the test drive left me all confused. The sound and vibration of the engine, the way it revs, the road feel through the steering wheel, the crazy strong ceramic brakes and the alcantara cabin made it a delightful experience (it almost made me disregard the aged PCM2 and the very hard clutch). This is simply what I am trying to accomplish with my 996 project car, but simply more balanced, accurate and powerful

I was not far from thinking that this was all the car I needed and get rid of my 991S and track 996 to spend as much time as I could in this one I went back on the same road with my 991S is Sport Plus mode and it was effortlessly faster and much smoother, but, somehow, something was missing. This has nothing to do with all the usual controversies of 997 vs 991's, but more about a GT3 vs a more polished 911.

I guess the 991 GT3 is going to be a fantastic car and a very, very tempting thing

PS: the guy who traded the GT3 in was taking delivery of a 991S, so going the other way (991S to a GT3) would be crazy
Ooooooh no you didn't!?
Hehehehe that's like being engaged to a beautiful woman and then being offered to take a world famous super model for a spin... it just aint fair!

I do not believe there's a "bad" 911 out there but for each generation the GT3 has been developed to be "the" perfectly balanced, made for speed and handling... super model.
But if you start using it as a DD, the romance is going to change... she wasn't made to cook, clean or walks in the park... she's sex on wheels and will share the misery with you of dealing with crappy roads, arrant runs or domestic duties... she is well beyond that and will make sure you know it!

I think the difference between the 997 C2S and the 997 GT3 is huge already, comparing it to a 991 C2S... I think ya better wait until the 991 GT3 comes out.

The 991 C2S has that duality... now imagine that same platform but purely focused on developing the monster in the machine... brrrr gives me shivers just thinking about!
I definitely see a 991 GT3 in your future... resistance is futile, don't even try!
Be patient for one more year, beat the snot out of your 996 track car... and by next year this time you'll be starting SM ATL's 991 GT3 Journal!

Old 12-22-2012, 02:10 AM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
Phycho Sid, I love the way you describe

Old 12-22-2012, 05:56 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
SM_A, thanks for a great thread and the GT3 post in particular.

I switched from a 997.2 GT3 to the 991S and can entirely appreciate your comments. My switch was prompted due to shoulder injuries sustained during a motorcycle accident (hit deer). I'm not sure if I would have sold the GT3 if it weren't for that. Both cars are of course intended for different purposes. I guess it's all about personal needs and if that is biased towards the track and raw, sublime handling... there aren't many cars better than a GT3. For the road I'm super happy with the 991S and find it a perfect all round sports car which I wanted.

I have mentioned on previous threads that I don't miss my GT3. That's mainly been due to the fact that I really enjoy the 991S in its own way and for purposes that IMO it was designed for.... mainly street use and great for where I drive. If I think mainly track and raw, pure handling.... I would miss the GT3!

I do feel that once the 991 GT3 gets released I may again be tempted! Until then we may as well enjoy the 991S.

Ideally one needs both! Different cars for different purposes.

Last edited by Haku; 12-22-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:57 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Be patient for one more year, beat the snot out of your 996 track car... and by next year this time you'll be starting SM ATL's 991 GT3 Journal!
I'm with Sid!! And I'm jealous if you can do that! If you don't, you'll be back looking at a 991 for your DD again in a year or two.

ChuckJ

Old 12-22-2012, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I'm with Sid!! And I'm jealous if you can do that! If you don't, you'll be back looking at a 991 for your DD again in a year or two.

ChuckJ
The DD is the whole point/question. If I was convinced that the GT3 was an OK DD, I may go to a 997 GT3 now and upgrade to the 991 GT3, let's say in 2 years, once I have been able to use 95%+ of the car capabilities.
But as you point out: would I be happy putting down 15,000 miles a year in a GT3 (being a 997 or 991 for that matter ).

Life is sooo complicated

Old 12-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
The DD is the whole point/question. If I was convinced that the GT3 was an OK DD, I may go to a 997 GT3 now and upgrade to the 991 GT3, let's say in 2 years, once I have been able to use 95%+ of the car capabilities.
But as you point out: would I be happy putting down 15,000 miles a year in a GT3 (being a 997 or 991 for that matter ).

Life is sooo complicated
We all now there are folks out there who've used a GT3 or for matter an RS for a DD. I would not. Too harsh, clutch heavy, and butt breaking!

Keep what you have...then get the 991 GT3 which I think will be more road compliant than the 997 GT3.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal