SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:01 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Sid, You are a poet. I will never look at my 991 the same way again.

SM, Tough choices. Since you have a 996 track car, my personal opinion would be to stay with the 991. All least until the 991 GT3...

Old 12-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 998M
Sid, You are a poet. I will never look at my 991 the same way again.

SM, Tough choices. Since you have a 996 track car, my personal opinion would be to stay with the 991. All least until the 991 GT3...
Hehehe thanks, I'll get downright esoteric and turn into wolfgang von Goethe when I'll actually have my 991 C4S in my garage!

Old 12-23-2012, 10:35 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Hehehe thanks, I'll get downright esoteric and turn into wolfgang von Goethe when I'll actually have my 991 C4S in my garage!
It's the weed in Amsterdam that does it!!

Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
What a great thread...subscribing.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:20 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
What a great thread...subscribing.
Thanks!
Guys, if you keep making compliments, I'll never dare to take the move to a GT3

Old 12-25-2012, 09:12 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
He he , just to add more confusion, the dealership now has a very nice, waayyy more recent Mk2 GT3. It's got the standard (big) brakes vs. PCCB -which is in principle more cost effective for the track on the long run- but has less alcantara and no nav (no deal breakers for me).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8303578555/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8304629470/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8304629128/
...Like a friend was saying recently, I really have first world problems. But I also think Santa had me on the 'nice list' this year
As other have said, I should maybe wait for the 991 GT3 (but it looks it will be PDK . I love PDK in my 991S but I do not think it suits the GT3 as well IMHO), but spending the next 2 years in a 997 GT3 first does not look all that bad

Last edited by SM_ATL; 12-25-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:34 AM
surathdp is infamous around these partssurathdp is infamous around these partssurathdp is infamous around these parts
Serve,
Get the GT3. Next best thing to a track day on the street. I cancelled my 991 order bcos I felt that the car drove too much for me. Like lack of body roll. I drove it at barber and it felt like an Indy car compared to my 2007 997.

Anton

Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Serge,

I am calling on you to help save the economy. You must go out and buy that new GT3. The economy needs you.

The President of the United States.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by 998M
Serge,

I am calling on you to help save the economy. You must go out and buy that new GT3. The economy needs you.

The President of the United States.
Why do I need to be your stimulus package and pay more taxes at the same time, Sir?
I am at the dealership and see what I can do.
Best regards to the First Lady, and please move your @ss back quickly to DC and do not argue with Congress about the Cliff. Follow their advice and get done with it.

Respectfully yours,

Serge

Old 12-26-2012, 11:04 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
I second the motion... except.. I wish you would move the @ss back to Chicago .. like starting tomorrow !!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Goodbye!

So I finally did it, left my 991 behind and drove back from the dealership in an impeccable 5kmiles 997 Mk1 Gt3.
Many of you will call me a nutjob and they may probably be right. I followed my gut instinct and I have no regrets so far.
Yes, on paper, the 991S may be even faster in expert hands and when I test drove the car, I noticed I could get to the same speed in curves with the 991S with 1/10th of the effort. The difference is how you get to that speed: feeling super-connected to the road, feeling every tiny piece of gravel on the road, revving up quickly to 8,000 rpm with the raw sound of the Mezger engine.
It's like daily driving on the track (not necessarily at illegal speeds).
Is there a risk that I'd get bored and start missing the 991S' comfort and smoothness I liked too? It may well be the case but I am ready to take that risk. If everything goes well -and I'll do my best - I'd keep this one for 2 years until the 991 GT3 becomes available, that I have the opportunity to drive it and then custom build it.

I am still convinced the 991S is the best all around car but I just feel I need something more raw. Maybe the fact that I kept driving it in Sport(+) mode, with PSE and sport suspension on and downshifting manually most of the time was an indication of my affliction.
I have a little bit of a makeover going on with the GT3, so there will be no pics until the week end... and a new thread in the GT3 section
Tomorrow, I'll take the GT3 and the 996 for a quick day at the track for a first 'evaluation'.

Last edited by SM_ATL; 12-27-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Congratulations!
If the GT3 floats your boat, which by your accounts it does, I'm wishing for you a heap load of fun times with it. Enjoy!
I look forward to your pics.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Congratulations sir! No shame in going to a GT3 since that epitomizes drivers car. As you said, it's not even the raw speed so much as the way it engages with you in the process of achieving the speed that is so alluring. Only a real car guy would understand that, right?

I look forward to your new thread! Enjoy your new machine in good health.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Congrats... There is no doubt that GT3 is THE car to get and hang on to. I am slightly salivating.... If I now just could get Obama of my tail!! LOL

Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Congratulations and the best of luck with your new Hot Rod! Going with your gut was the right move.

And your thinking is correct; it's not always about the numbers, sometimes it's all about the raw energy that surrounds the driver. That's exactly the way I felt while driving my former ZO6.

Somewhere down the line, if I get bored, I may also be looking at a 991GT3. But at the moment, the manual gearbox and Sport Plus Mode with rev-matching seems to be floating my boat just fine.

Once again -- best of luck to you! And thanks for this great thread, I've managed to glean a great deal of useful information from it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal