SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:31 PM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Goodbye!

I'd keep this one for 2 years until the 991 GT3 becomes available, that I have the opportunity to drive it and then custom build it.
Yeah right! I'll bet you a full track weekend fee that you won't have that girl December 28th, 2015!

Anyway congrats, I'm sure you will have a ton of fun with your new mistress, and I can't wait to meet her!

Old 12-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Goodbye!

So I finally did it, left my 991 behind and drove back from the dealership in an impeccable 5kmiles 997 Mk1 Gt3.
Many of you will call me a nutjob and they may probably be right. I followed my gut instinct and I have no regrets so far.
Yes, on paper, the 991S may be even faster in expert hands and when I test drove the car, I noticed I could get to the same speed in curves with the 991S with 1/10th of the effort. The difference is how you get to that speed: feeling super-connected to the road, feeling every tiny piece of gravel on the road, revving up quickly to 8,000 rpm with the raw sound of the Mezger engine.
It's like daily driving on the track (not necessarily at illegal speeds).
Is there a risk that I'd get bored and start missing the 991S' comfort and smoothness I liked too? It may well be the case but I am ready to take that risk. If everything goes well -and I'll do my best - I'd keep this one for 2 years until the 991 GT3 becomes available, that I have the opportunity to drive it and then custom build it.

I am still convinced the 991S is the best all around car but I just feel I need something more raw. Maybe the fact that I kept driving it in Sport(+) mode, with PSE and sport suspension on and downshifting manually most of the time was an indication of my affliction.
I have a little bit of a makeover going on with the GT3, so there will be no pics until the week end... and a new thread in the GT3 section
Tomorrow, I'll take the GT3 and the 996 for a quick day at the track for a first 'evaluation'.

Serge... you're a wild man!!
I'm sure it'll be another great ride both as a vehicle and as a branch of life's experiences.

Are you planning to keep the 996 track car?
I'm afraid that will be a lot less exciting now that you've got a 997GT3 as a comparison... still a ton of fun, but you know what I mean.

It would be great if you could still keep us updated with some comparison posts here.
We are sure gonna miss you!
Congrats!!!

Sid.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:04 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
First of all, Thanks for all your kind words!

Originally Posted by opnielsen
Yeah right! I'll bet you a full track weekend fee that you won't have that girl December 28th, 2015!
Well... time will tell But please, do not tell my wife! (although she has me well figured out)

Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Serge... you're a wild man!!
I'm sure it'll be another great ride both as a vehicle and as a branch of life's experiences.

Are you planning to keep the 996 track car?
I'm afraid that will be a lot less exciting now that you've got a 997GT3 as a comparison... still a ton of fun, but you know what I mean.

It would be great if you could still keep us updated with some comparison posts here.
We are sure gonna miss you!
Congrats!!!

Sid.
Hey Sid, I am not going anywhere! I'll be posting more on other 6speed forums, but I'll keep an eye on the 991 section as I'll surely be back in one at some point. December '15... or before

Very good question about the 996 track car. This project is almost complete (front lip and big wing installed yesterday). The car is only missing a limited slip diff at this point. I'll be tracking the GT3 and the 996 back to back a few times tomorrow, so I'll have a pretty good idea about how they compare, but I share your 'concern'. How much time will i be willing to spend in the 996 once I tried the GT3 on the track?

Originally Posted by KI Studios
Congratulations on the new toy! I guess I should have asked Santa for a Porsche too. Let me know when you start a new thread so I can follow.
enjoy!
Santa is a definitely a good guy and he must love Porsche's

I'll start the new thread this week end with a few track pics from the GT3 and a few goodies that I started to install on the car (GT3RS steering wheel and GT2 seats today, LED DRL's and taillights tomorrow night, etc.)

I have applied the orange decals on the 996 tonight (as well as 2 'kistudios.com' decals on the A-pillars to advertise for a great vendor ) and it looks gorgeous. Pics for this week end as well!!!

Last edited by SM_ATL; 12-27-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:59 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

First of all, Thanks for all your kind words!

Well... time will tell But please, do not tell my wife! (although she has me well figured out)

Hey Sid, I am not going anywhere! I'll be posting more on other 6speed forums, but I'll keep an eye on the 991 section as I'll surely be back in one at some point. December '15... or before

Very good question about the 996 track car. This project is almost complete (front lip and big wing installed yesterday). The car is only missing a limited slip diff at this point. I'll be tracking the GT3 and the 996 back to back a few times tomorrow, so I'll have a pretty good idea about how they compare, but I share your 'concern'. How much time will i be willing to spend in the 996 once I tried the GT3 on the track?

Santa is a definitely a good guy and he must love Porsche's

I'll start the new thread this week end with a few track pics from the GT3 and a few goodies that I started to install on the car (GT3RS steering wheel and GT2 seats today, LED DRL's and taillights tomorrow night, etc.)

I have applied the orange decals on the 996 tonight (as well as 2 'kistudios.com' decals on the A-pillars to advertise for a great vendor ) and it looks gorgeous. Pics for this week end as well!!!
Awesome... subscribing...

Old 12-28-2012, 01:11 PM
ronaldvetteron is infamous around these partsronaldvetteron is infamous around these parts
Serge---Way to go. GT3 is probably the only thing that would get me out of your CR that I bought and love more and more with each passing day. Glad to see you went back to the raw side Looking forward to your thread on changes to it. It will serve as a good guide for me when I do change out down the road. All the best.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:11 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Congratulations, Serge! Have fun with your new baby, but don't be a stranger on the 991 site.

ChuckJ

Old 12-28-2012, 05:36 PM
oldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond repute
as a porsche neophyte, i am in awe of this sequence of events sm_atl. you are a true sports car enthusiast that inspires us all. while i'll live vicariously through your upcoming racing posts, i am also motivated now to join my local pca chapter and get started on my own adventures.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 PM
allans is infamous around these parts
Serge, WOW! I've finally met someone else who thinks (?) out of the box. Can't wait to see it. Did you join AMP? I'm planning to be up there tomorrow. Allan
Ps, Will be at COTA the end of Jan with the 4.0. Wish you and Ole could be there.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:48 PM
flyanddive is infamous around these partsflyanddive is infamous around these parts
I hope you switched the seats out of that GT3 to the sports buckets you had in the 991.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:32 AM
carcam is infamous around these parts
Way to go Serge! You are our hero and can't wait to follow the GT3 part of your thread.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:13 AM
teebo2345 has a spectacular aura aboutteebo2345 has a spectacular aura aboutteebo2345 has a spectacular aura about
SM_ATL just sent you a PM. I am going to take a look at your old car and have a question. Great read btw!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:12 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ronaldvetteron
Serge---Way to go. GT3 is probably the only thing that would get me out of your CR that I bought and love more and more with each passing day. Glad to see you went back to the raw side
Thanks Ron! I wanted more power when I moved from the CR to the 991S, but then I tried to make the 991S a bit more 'hardcore' than it really was meant to be. When I put it back to stock, I enjoyed the smoothness for a short while but found it too soft eventually. I'll probably find the GT3 too harsh after some time too I think that down the road, the 991 GT3 will offer the best of both words.

Originally Posted by allans
Serge, WOW! I've finally met someone else who thinks (?) out of the box. Can't wait to see it. Did you join AMP? I'm planning to be up there tomorrow. Allan
Ps, Will be at COTA the end of Jan with the 4.0. Wish you and Ole could be there.
Thanks Allan. You got it right inserting a question mark after "someone who thinks" in your post Not sure I am very sensible about all this, but I follow my instinct and what gives me the most fun. i see it as a journey, but I am not quite sure about my final destination...

Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Congratulations, Serge! Have fun with your new baby, but don't be a stranger on the 991 site.

ChuckJ
No worries, I'll stick around. I'll be back in a 991 at some point so I better stay informed!

Originally Posted by oldman40
as a porsche neophyte, i am in awe of this sequence of events sm_atl. you are a true sports car enthusiast that inspires us all. while i'll live vicariously through your upcoming racing posts, i am also motivated now to join my local pca chapter and get started on my own adventures.
Tracking a car has been some kind of revelation for me. I never had the opportunity to do it when I lived in Europe and just find it amazing here. You can literally find an event every week end if you want, there is a nice variety of tracks within a reasonable distance and the camaraderie at DE's is great! PCA is a good option, but BMW and other clubs a nice too and are not exclusive to one manufacturer. Have fun!

Originally Posted by carcam
Way to go Serge! You are our hero and can't wait to follow the GT3 part of your thread.
Thanks! I most certainly am no hero but I am happy if I can share what I learn from others and my own delusion

The new thread will start soon. Meanwhile, here's a frist pic taken this week at Talladega Gran Prix (will report on first impressions shortly).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8332239588/

Old 12-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by flyanddive
I hope you switched the seats out of that GT3 to the sports buckets you had in the 991.
Already done !

Old 01-01-2013, 06:32 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Nice ride, Serge! No more buffeting on the track and maybe by the time you get your 991 GT it will have been fixed.

ChuckJ

Old 01-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Entering the 21st century...

Followed my kids' advice and started a SM_ATL Facebook page and Instagram account. Not planning on abandoning 6Speed though
Links added to my signature!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal