SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:43 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
"R" stripes trial and end of story

Kyle got me the stripes in 2 days and I got them professionally installed since I screwed up with vinyl in the past trying to do it myself:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6778509386/
Here's the final result from a few different angles:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6778509988/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6778509748/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6778509536/
Well, to be perfectly honest... hum... it turns out that I like it a lot less on the car than I thought.
The stripes have been on the car for a couple of hours, but she's now back to a perfectly immaculate white finish.
I am happy I tried even it did not work for me. Still have something in mind I'll experiment tomorrow!

Last edited by SM_ATL; 02-24-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
i really like it, i think blacked out wheels would have made it perfect, still a great job nonetheless.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
i really like it, i think blacked out wheels would have made it perfect, still a great job nonetheless.
On the wheel thing, while at my dealer today a guy had just gotten his same Carrera Classic wheels powder coated black....same wheel as yours, SM_ATL..

This is powder- not painted. They feel like a black porcelain bathtub:

pics:

Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EricP
On the wheel thing, while at my dealer today a guy had just gotten his same Carrera Classic wheels powder coated black....same wheel as yours, SM_ATL..

pics:
too much black if you ask me. on a white car, all black makes a nice contrast, esp. together with the black stripes. on a black/or silver car, i would prefer that solution here, black wheels but with a silver ring/lip:

Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
too much black if you ask me. on a white car, all black makes a nice contrast, esp. together with the black stripes. on a black/or silver car, i would prefer that solution here, black wheels but with a silver ring/lip:
As usual I completely agree. Matte on wheels - simulates brake dust Not a glossy guy.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:48 AM
carcommander is infamous around these parts
As usual I completely agree. Matte on wheels - simulates brake dust Not a glossy guy.
I have a black 991 and thought about doing this. I think I agree, it's too much black.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Silver ring makes all the difference in my view. But I prefer the ring to be a bit wider. The spokes on the wheel above prevent that, and so do the spokes on the 991 Carrera S wheel. The wheel that many 997 GTS had (sort of BBS look) has a wider silver ring and that looks money in my book. Edit- the wheels above are the ones I am talking about, I think, they could have a wider silver ring.

Last edited by fbroen; 02-24-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:58 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Stripes -- good try. I think I will have to try it as well, even if they may come off. I see what you did with keeping the lines of the car a bit forward leaning. It may be that it would be odd to stick with the rocker line angle, but I may try that.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !

pics:
I agree with comments that have been posted: glossy black does not look good. The second thing is that the 20" Carrera wheels do not look that nice in black. The Silver/grey contrast is actually nice and the silver 'spikes' never get dirty. Should I go for black wheels one day, I would probably by a new set of wheels instead of powder coating -especially after having seen this-.
Thanks for this useful post!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
"R" stripes trial and end of story
Is this the end of the stripes story, or the journal. I hope not the journal? Enjoyable read for sure.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Stripes & Decals - Plan B

Being disappointed by the "R" stripes and realizing that it did too much to the purity of the car design, I moved to plan B, still trying to personalize/give a slightly more sporty look the my 991S.

Nothing exceptional but I applied "Carrera S" side decals 'a la GTS', the sport front spoiler lip and a "911S' emblem at the back.
Overall, this is still very OEM and adds a the little touch of personalization I was looking for.

Pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6925705735/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6779590010/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6779589838/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6779589414/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6925705577/
I read some negative comments in other threads about the spoiler lip but it actually looks good on the car.
Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do

Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by fbroen
Is this the end of the stripes story, or the journal. I hope not the journal? Enjoyable read for sure.
No way man... This is going to be a long story
This is just the beginning!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Glad to hear it.

Ok, this is pretty spooky, you just did what my plan b is if I don't think the stripes work out.

"GTS" / S door decals look great, IMO.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:51 AM
The Sport PASM spoiler is an interesting thing in pictures. It looks great in real life. Sometimes in pics it looks fantastic, other times a bit like a goatee. These pics make it look stunning.

I wonder how long before a GT3 type black splitter is available, that goes all around?

Old 02-24-2012, 09:55 AM
the2thdr has a spectacular aura aboutthe2thdr has a spectacular aura about
I think the front lip is pretty tasteful, with the added plus that if you did happen to have some impact in the front (kamikaze squirrel or gopher), then at least the lip spoiler would take the hit.

Again, just love looking at your car. Subtle, understated, and looks fast just sitting still.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal