SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:29 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom 991s
I do have a bunch of scraping with the aerokit, eg when getting out of public parking garages etc....but no damage thus far
I have had a little bit of scraping but a ton less than with the GT3 (esp. with the cup spoiler). As you mention, no visible damage though, which is great.

BTW Tom, you build is terrific!!! Throw in big brakes and it will be even more perfect

Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Marc - awesome videos!! Looks like some of the other folks are stuck in 2nd gear . Yes, you don't want to have an off at Blackhawk...even though it's a fun track. I'll look into PCA at RA then. A colleague has been trying to get me to go to march of dimes also...
On brake flush - I use motul rbf660 and have done a couple of flushes on the 991 already without problem....using a motiv pressure bleeder. No issues thus far. Looking to put pagid yellow pads on for the track. Just ordered rims with r888 tires, so getting ready....
Tom
If you have a choice, do PCA over the Drive for Babies. They already have the registrations open.
https://www.marchofdimes.com/wiscons...rbabies13.html

Not sure I will go back. A lot of people that have zero ability to drive. Their instruction was pretty lacking (ie they forgot to mention in the drivers meeting the passing rules).

Going to be run the 991 in a snowcross at Road America.
http://www.roadamerica.com/CompetitorApp/events/winter-autocross.aspx

Marc

Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Tom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really nice
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Throw in big brakes and it will be even more perfect
Serge - Talking to you is expensive
Yes, would love the BBK kit. It's competing for funds with seats, rollbar, harness, and fabspeed headers... Where did you get yours? Looked at vivdracing, but biggest Brembo ones were 14.3 inches?

The other consideration would be to put in better brake cooling (had this on my M3 - see pics below. It was amazing. Was $300 and a hell of a DIY). Has anyone seen a kit like that for the 991?

Name:  IMG_2399.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  151.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2400_sm.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  155.6 KB

Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 PM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Nice post Serge. Do you don't know how much the Carrera S wheels weigh?

ChuckJ
This was originally posted over on Rennlist (not by me) - good info.

Weights of OEM wheels:

19” Base Wheel
8.5”x19” = 22lbs 11oz
11” x 19” = 27lbs 5oz

20” Carrera S Wheel
8.5” x 20” 23lbs 10oz
11” x 20 27lbs 12oz

20” Design Wheel
8.5"x20" 24lbs 11oz
11"x20" 30lbs 4oz

20” Classic Wheel
8.5"x20" 24lbs 3oz
11"x20" 28lbs 4oz

20” Sport Techno Wheel
9"x20" 27lbs 2oz
11.5"x20" 31lbs 1oz

Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Serge - Talking to you is expensive
Yes, would love the BBK kit. It's competing for funds with seats, rollbar, harness, and fabspeed headers... Where did you get yours? Looked at vivdracing, but biggest Brembo ones were 14.3 inches?

The other consideration would be to put in better brake cooling (had this on my M3 - see pics below. It was amazing. Was $300 and a hell of a DIY). Has anyone seen a kit like that for the 991?
Seats, rollbar and harness should come first indeed! (and I was happy with the Fabspeed headers I had on the previous 991 )

The 15" front and rear Brembo BBK I had came from Vivid and they can surely get them again. They may not be listed on the website but Josh will help you! Now once you have the BBK you will also want to have track wheels with tires that match the brakes stopping power
The Brembo 15" BBK was simply indestructible on the track and it performed better than the PCCB's I (briefly) had on the GT3.

I have am not aware of a brake cooling kit for the 991.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:51 AM
Former Vendor
SupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Seats, rollbar and harness should come first indeed! (and I was happy with the Fabspeed headers I had on the previous 991 )

The 15" front and rear Brembo BBK I had came from Vivid and they can surely get them again. They may not be listed on the website but Josh will help you! Now once you have the BBK you will also want to have track wheels with tires that match the brakes stopping power
The Brembo 15" BBK was simply indestructible on the track and it performed better than the PCCB's I (briefly) had on the GT3.

I have am not aware of a brake cooling kit for the 991.
Serge did you get the 15" Brembos and Roll cage I shipped you?

Old 02-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Tom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really nice
Got my track wheels and put them on the scale today. Bryston forged 19 inch wheels with Toyo R888 295/30/19 and 235/35/19 & TPMS weigh

41.6 lbs for each front wheel, and
51.4 lbs for each rear wheel.

My stock Carrera S 20 inch wheels with OEM P Zeros come in at
46.4 lbs front
57.0 lbs rear

Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Tom,

Wheels look great. I cannot wait to see that at RA. I will not be a fair fight with all that extra grip.

Curious to see how your stock brakes hold up with the extra grip. I had an M3 that I put R compounds on and tracked it with stock brakes. Obviously the M3 brakes are not as good as the 991. It got to the point I could not longer engage anti-lock, no matter how hard I pressed the pedal. And then the pads caught fire. Well it was a little flame at the top of the pad. But I panicked. I wasn't sure if I should run around and ask for a fire extinguisher, get back in the car and drive it around the pits or let it burn and get a new car.

I got in a drove it around and the flame went out. Would have been a much better story if I burned it to the ground.

Marc

Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 AM
Thumbs up

Got my track wheels and put them on the scale today. Bryston forged 19 inch wheels with Toyo R888 295/30/19 and 235/35/19 & TPMS weigh

41.6 lbs for each front wheel, and
51.4 lbs for each rear wheel.

My stock Carrera S 20 inch wheels with OEM P Zeros come in at
46.4 lbs front
57.0 lbs rear
Beautiful and very light combo! Like it a lot, congrats!!!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by SupremePower
Serge did you get the 15" Brembos and Roll cage I shipped you?
Delivered on Tuesday, on the car Thursday and at the track Friday Thanks!
Have not had the time to take pics of the latest mods but will do shortly!

For other forum members: I had been a bit quick (someone already commented "worst planner ever" about me) to sell my 991 upgrades, so when I got the new Guards Red car, Eric had the parts to organize a transplant from this beauty: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-991-pics.html.

More pics and feedback to follow...

Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 AM
At the track for the first time! (Road Atlanta with Hooked on Driving)

People have all kinds of theories about break in. I am not a firm believer of any of them and assumed that 1,000 miles on the odometer was more than enough.
I got the car 'track ready' on Thursday: Re-installed my GT2 bucket seat, BBI rollbar, harness, 15" Brembo's front and rear, track wheels were still good to go for one DE and here we go:

The GT3 was so nice and raw, the 996 track car was light and fun, but the 991S is definitely so quick and smooth! It also looks like that the PDCC makes a nice difference: the last time I went to Road Atlanta with the previous 991S, my best lap was 1:45. With the new one -that now has PDCC-, my time now dropped to 1:42. Still no record-breaking time (not the intent and I am not a very experienced driver), but I have the impression that I got through -and out of- the corners faster than before. I hit 155mph on the back straight which is also more than what I did with the previous 991 (probably because I got faster out of turn 7).

Here's a quick video recap' of the day:

With a few more days of practice, I am convinced that a stock 991S (excepted for the Brembo's) can go well into the 1:30's territory.

Attached Images   
Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Did you it a lot flatter through the esses and up the hill after turn one?

Manual or PDK?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by STALKER
Did you it a lot flatter through the esses and up the hill after turn one?

Manual or PDK?
Definitely flatter. Biggest improvement at turn 1, 5 and 7 rather than the esses or the slower 10a & 10b I think, but this is subjective. Also seemed easier to break traction and rotate the car at 7.

Both the previous and new 991's are PDK (changing gears manually of course).

Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Nice driving, great video! I like the way the corvette spun out.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:56 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Perfect music & editing Serge + beautiful weather......

Your new car looks fantastic!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal