SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:36 PM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
Nice Ride!

Old 02-18-2013, 07:27 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Salut Bob!
Good question regarding the aero package. I have no data about the downforce but it surely helps.

When you look at the speeds through or out of the turns, I am not sure that the aerokit helps you there (too slow), but it definitely makes the car more stable in the straights. In spite of the fact that the aerokit is a bit of an 'airbrake' and could therefore be slightly detrimental to your speed, I pushed the car harder because I felt more comfortable doing so. Now is it hard to say if it is due to the aerokit, the PDCC or S-PASM -probably all of the above-.

Here's a one lap video from last Friday.
http://youtu.be/tPVBUgWes-s

This was my best lap as there was little traffic, but I unfortunately only got to 144mph in the backstraight (passing the blue bimmer after turn 7, I could not track out as wide as I wanted and get back on the power soon enough). I never went above ~145mph with my first 991S there as I wanted to make sure I would be stable enough when braking into 10a. No such concern anymore and 155mph perfectly OK now. Maybe it was only me being a sissy too
Car looks great, Serge.

I like Harry's lap timer but have yet to find a great way to mount it. What are you using?

Marc

Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 998M
Car looks great, Serge.

I like Harry's lap timer but have yet to find a great way to mount it. What are you using?

Marc
RAM makes very solid mounts that hold the iPhone firmly in place. They are relatively inexpensive and available on Amazon.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:40 PM
gaitherb is infamous around these parts
Definitely flatter. Biggest improvement at turn 1, 5 and 7 rather than the esses or the slower 10a & 10b I think, but this is subjective. Also seemed easier to break traction and rotate the car at 7.

Both the previous and new 991's are PDK (changing gears manually of course).
I'm not a 991 owner, but I recently purchased a 2012 Panamera Turbo from Hennessy -- I live in Atlanta. I've been watching this thread and enjoying all the track talk.

I race motorcycles (WERA), so I'm always at Road Atlanta (my home track), Barber, and little Tally. Turn 1 at Road A is a beast to handle given the entry speed from the front straightaway and the tendency to turn in early for fear of running off the track. Turn 5 simply drives me crazy given I have to carry considerable speed from the esses through the apex of 5 so that I don't lose my drive up the hill at 5. And frankly, turn 7 is the most important corner on the track because it dictates your top-end speed going down the back straightaway -- turn 7 is the difference between standing on the podium with trophy in hand versus going home empty-handed. Racers make up a ton of time if they get a perfect drive out of 7. Going into 10a simply requires a pair of "brass" ones. On a motorcycle, we're usually getting out of the gas at the Arai helmet sign and gently braking at the first painted white line. But I've witnessed the Petit Lemans cars breaking at the entry to the corner -- now that's insane!

Anway, I thought I would finally chime in given I've watched this thread and others concerning the tracks in the Southeast. Keep posting videos and pics of your new ride at the track. It's always cool to see the difference between cars and motorcycles at the track.

Keep me posted on your trackdays, I'd be interested in driving up and checking you guys out.

Last edited by gaitherb; 02-19-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gaitherb
I'm not a 991 owner, but I recently purchased a 2012 Panamera Turbo from Hennessy -- I live in Atlanta. I've been watching this thread and enjoying all the track talk.

I race motorcycles (WERA), so I'm always at Road Atlanta (my home track), Barber, and little Tally. Turn 1 at Road A is a beast to handle given the entry speed from the front straightaway and the tendency to turn in early for fear of running off the track. Turn 5 simply drives me crazy given I have to carry considerable speed from the esses through the apex of 5 so that I don't lose my drive up the hill at 5. And frankly, turn 7 is the most important corner on the track because it dictates your top-end speed going down the back straightaway -- turn 7 is the difference between standing on the podium with trophy in hand versus going home empty-handed. Racers make up a ton of time if they get a perfect drive out of 7. Going into 10a simply requires a pair of "brass" ones. On a motorcycle, we're usually getting out of the gas at the Arai helmet sign and gently braking at the first painted white line. But I've witnessed the Petit Lemans cars breaking at the entry to the corner -- now that's insane!

Anway, I thought I would finally chime in given I've watched this thread and others concerning the tracks in the Southeast. Keep posting videos and pics of your new ride at the track. It's always cool to see the difference between cars and motorcycles at the track.

Keep me posted on your trackdays, I'd be interested in driving up and checking you guys out.
Most of the accidents I have seen at RA are at turn 5 and turn 7. People trying to bring the car back on line at turn 5 and the car just shoots across the track hitting the outside wall across the marshal tower.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:18 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by STALKER
Most of the accidents I have seen at RA are at turn 5 and turn 7. People trying to bring the car back on line at turn 5 and the car just shoots across the track hitting the outside wall across the marshal tower.
As many of you already know, there was a fatality following an accident during a DE at Road Atlanta last September. A Corvette hit the concrete wall at turn 5 and the driver later suffered from brain hemorrhage and passed a couple of weeks later. The driver was competent, was wearing safety gear (harness and Hans) and the car was in good condition. This is extremely sad and should remind us than the worst can happen, even at a 'simple' DE.
Most people are afraid of turn 12, but turn 5 is probably the most dangerous...

Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM
gaitherb is infamous around these parts
As many of you already know, there was a fatality following an accident during a DE at Road Atlanta last September. A Corvette hit the concrete wall at turn 5 and the driver later suffered from brain hemorrhage and passed a couple of weeks later. The driver was competent, was wearing safety gear (harness and Hans) and the car was in good condition. This is extremely sad and should remind us than the worst can happen, even at a 'simple' DE.
Most people are afraid of turn 12, but turn 5 is probably the most dangerous...
Last year, we lost a motorcycle rider in Turn 5; I came up on the accident and saw the rider laying against the concrete barrier. It was a horrible feeling knowing someone lost their life at the track -- we try to be responsible by attending trackdays, but yes they're also dangerous.

Motorcycles no longer run the same turn 12 at Road Atlanta that cars run, bikes were just too fast for that sweeping downhill turn -- flat out while dragging a knee hoping two tires would stay hooked up to keep you from hitting the wall at the bottom of the hill was no longer considered reasonable. I'm sure you've seen the new turn 12 course for motorcycles, but as you go under the bridge and prepare to drive down the hill into 12, if you stay left under the bridge, that's the motorcyle portion of the track. At the bottom of the hill, there's a 90 degree turn that literally scrubs all of your speed. Granted, the front straightaway has essentially been lengthened for bikes, and the turn has created a cool drag race down the front straightaway.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 PM
steveliu is infamous around these parts
Serge, I have spent almost half a day reading ur thread. I have to say u r a man. lol. I am going to install the PSE on the upcoming Monday. However, still holding my back to do more mod. The reason is the 991 GT3, just saw some pic with a 9000rpm redline. I only have had my C2S for about 2 months. Don't know if I can be as man as you do when the new car launch.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by steveliu
Serge, I have spent almost half a day reading ur thread. I have to say u r a man. lol. I am going to install the PSE on the upcoming Monday. However, still holding my back to do more mod. The reason is the 991 GT3, just saw some pic with a 9000rpm redline. I only have had my C2S for about 2 months. Don't know if I can be as man as you do when the new car launch.
First, thanks for wasting your precious time on my non-sense
But why did you have to mention the 9,000 rpm's??? Do you even realize what is going through my mind right now? My heart is beating faster and my blood pressure as doubled in seconds

I made a promise to myself that I would keep my 991S for a while, so resisting to the GT3 will put me to the test! I need to find a Porscheholic Anonymous meeting in my area...

Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
But why did you have to mention the 9,000 rpm's??? Do you even realize what is going through my mind right now? My heart is beating faster and my blood pressure as doubled in seconds

I made a promise to myself that I would keep my 991S for a while, so resisting to the GT3 will put me to the test! I need to find a Porscheholic Anonymous meeting in my area...
Serge, remember to breathe deep.... Stay calm.... Think of a nice happy place.... Oh crumbs! That means the track for you!!!!

This GT3 thing is going to be hard on some wallets! Mines being pulled already but I must resist.... Must resist!.... Arghhhhhh!

Old 02-23-2013, 12:26 PM
steveliu is infamous around these parts
Lol. To be honest I couldn't think of any thing that is better than a NA 911 with a 9000rpm. I was convinced that RS4.0 is going to be the best car in the world for a very long time. I still can't believe what's going on with the new GT3, And the upcoming GT3RS.
One thing for sure, it's going to be pretty costly. But just like you said, life is short!
P.S I noticed that you are a TG fan also. Still can't believe they haven't test the 991! Lol. have already read two article written by Jeremy about the new 991. He actually liked it. He said that, "I can actually see myself buying one" I think that might be the biggest nice words regarding 911 coming out of his mouth. Lol.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by steveliu
Lol. ...
P.S I noticed that you are a TG fan also. Still can't believe they haven't test the 991! Lol. have already read two article written by Jeremy about the new 991. He actually liked it. He said that, "I can actually see myself buying one" I think that might be the biggest nice words regarding 911 coming out of his mouth. Lol.
Clarkson buying a 911 !

That'll be one for the books!!!

Old 02-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Tom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really nice
Serge - can you recommend a roll & harness bar? Which one are you using? Do you know if it's PCA approved?

Given that my 3-year old son threw up all over the rear seat this morning, I had to take the rear seats out for cleaning ... and I'm not too keen to put them back in ... time to put the bar in .....

Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Tom 991s
Serge - can you recommend a roll & harness bar? Which one are you using? Do you know if it's PCA approved?

Cripes!!! I was trying to check on types of roll and harness and came across this! Serge are you using this??????

Don't click near anyone underage or kids! (not rude but you'll have some explaining to do)

Old 02-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Haku
Cripes!!! I was trying to check on types of roll and harness and came across this! Serge are you using this??????

Don't click near anyone underage or kids! (not rude but you'll have some explaining to do)
LOL! No I am not using the one you have on the link (but I would if it made me go quicker...)

I think that the only rollbar currently available for the 991 is made by BBI: http://bbiautosport.com/worlds-first-991-rear-rollbar/. I got mine through Supreme Power. It is featured in their build thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-991-pics.html.
I do not know if it is "PCA approved" but I had it in my car for all kinds of DE's (I had the same rollbar in my first 991). Never raced the car though...

After that, you'll need to install bucket seats as I am not aware that any OEM 991 seat sold in the US will work with a harness. You have plenty of aftermarket options, go for 997 OEM bucket seats (but you'll have an airbag error message and the side airbags located in the seats will not work) or try to get OEM bucket seats for the 991 from Europe where they are available.

Last edited by SM_ATL; 02-23-2013 at 03:56 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal