SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Brooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really nice
Wow, I spent the last two days going through all 71 pages of this incredibly entertaining, super insightful post. Now what? Now what am I supposed to do? Damnit! Thank you SM_ATL for some amazing information!

Old 03-07-2013, 04:30 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Thanks for the tip regarding the windshield film; you've saved me money and aggravation. I'm hitting the "rep" button on this one.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:40 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Thanks Serge. I was thinking about Clearplex, as I suffer from some road rash, but after hearing your review of it for a DD, will refrain. Great and helpful write-up.
Originally Posted by CarreraPete
Thanks for the tip regarding the windshield film; you've saved me money and aggravation. I'm hitting the "rep" button on this one.
Thanks guys. Do not take me wrong, the film is useful if you track the car on a very regular basis but the downside is that you always notice that the film is there... If you do not track the car (or not often and are not systematically tailgating), just rely on your insurance (or invest in a better glass coverage) and you will be fine.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Oh my I am so tempted by this GT3. Dealer called me today - "want a spot?" I have been itching to get someone super Raw to accompany my M5 for quite some time - estimated arrival March 2014! My only worry is enjoying the PDK. I have dabbled in cars with DCT/PDK a couple of times but never really could say that I fell in love?! Only car with paddles that I loved was the 458, so much intense emotion going on that I forgot I was actually shifting with my fingers. In the Ferrai I felt like I just merged with the car and went into a complete zen state. I am hoping that the GT3 can give this same feeling. Would be a nice compliment to my current stable and would be super fun to take to the golf course on those nice days. Just toss the clubs in the back and off you go!

Last edited by uhn2000; 03-07-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:38 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Track consumables

2 quick updates on downsides of taking your car to the track and financial planning. Nothing new of course.

Protect your windshield

Cracked windshield: one tiny bit of gravel and running a little too close behind someone else can have costly consequence (a 991 windshield replacement runs around $1k):

Maybe even worse than the cost, you may end up driving one of these for the day if your dealership is out of Porsche loaners

After replacing the windshield and before going back to the track last week end I got Clearplex installed on the car:

The protective layer is (has to be) thick and not the easiest to install.

The overall result is not bad, but:
-if you buy a pre-cut film and get it professionally installed, it will still cost you ~$350
-because the installation is difficult, you may have a few defects around the edges or very small bubbles if dust particles have been trapped
-the optical quality is not perfect and there is a bit too much distortion for my taste

The film seems to protect the windshield adequately. I'd say it is a no-brainer for a dedicated track car, but I am not sure it is a great option for a daily driver.

Check your brakes regularly

I have put a Brembo BBK (15" front and rear) on the 991S and the stopping power (combined with track tires) and absence of fading is remarkable.

When you push the car hard (and you will if you know that stopping the car is not a problem ) you pay of course attention to your brake pads. I noticed I was running thin at the end of the day at the front but failed to double check the inside pads more closely before the last session. Bad call. There was no braking issue but quite a bit of grinding on the way back, which is perfectly understandable when looking at what is left of the inside pads:

There is in fact no pad material left at all ...and even some metal of the backing plate is gone No big deal, Vividracing has been able to overnight new pads and rotors are still in good shape.
My best estimate is that I lost 25% of the pads per track day (at the front) and probably half of that at the rear.

It basically means that a set of front pads would roughly last for 275 laps on Road Atlanta... so let's say that pads will cost you ~$1.5 per lap and some change.
Nothing dramatic if you know that gas, at 8 mpg will set you back ~$1.6 per lap, track tires ~$2 per lap and track insurance ~$3.5 per lap. Even if you throw the car depreciation on top of it, you would still be below $10 per lap... and it is worth every penny of it
Your only problem is that once you get the virus, you will want to do many, many laps
Had a similar thing happen to me at Watkins Glen 2 seasons ago, but my expensive AP rotors were ruined completely.
Was really my own fault, my Pagid RS29s did not come in and I used the stock AP pads that they claimed were dual purpose...which melted like butta at the track.

Road Atlanta is tough on brakes.
Are you using the stock pads in the Brembos for street and track?

Old 03-09-2013, 11:05 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by STALKER
Had a similar thing happen to me at Watkins Glen 2 seasons ago, but my expensive AP rotors were ruined completely.
Was really my own fault, my Pagid RS29s did not come in and I used the stock AP pads that they claimed were dual purpose...which melted like butta at the track.

Road Atlanta is tough on brakes.
Are you using the stock pads in the Brembos for street and track?
Totally my fault too. I did not check the inside pads, just assumed that the wear would be the same as for the outside pads (and even went a little too far with those...). Will not make the same mistake twice!

The Brembo BBK came with FM1000 pads which are street + 'beginner' DE events. They clearly are not suitable for a more intense use. Vividracing shipped me HP2000 pads that should do better. Still no true race track pads but should offer a good compromise for street and track use.

Here's what Brembo says (to take with a grain of salt of course): "Tested to the highest levels on the track with decelerations from 270kph (168mph) the HP2000 material is capable of operating in the most demanding conditions.
With excellent cold performance & bite, high resistance to fade, frictional stability throughout all operating conditions, reduced pad & disc wear and low dust levels, the all new HP2000 friction material offers significant advantages over its rivals."
I checked online and could not find more aggressive Pagid pads available for the 991 15" Brembo GT kit.
I'll give a try to the HP2000 at Barber in 2 weeks and provide some feedback. Barber can be hard on brakes too if you really push hard (lower top speed than at Road Atlanta but more repeated heavy breaking).

Just for the fun (?) here's a pic of what is left of the inside front FM1000 and the replacement HP2000:

Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2013, 11:12 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Try some Pagid RS29s when they are released. You will love them.
I'm waiting for them to be released for the OEM set up.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:12 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
The last couple of turns must have been hairy and noisy!

ChuckJ

Old 03-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
The last couple of turns must have been hairy and noisy!

ChuckJ
Noisy for sure (even though with the windows rolled down and the sound of the engine and tires you did not hear the brakes so much).
Surprisingly, the stopping power remained good, hence why I dod not get too worried. I even got almost rear ended by a BMW E12 that gave me a point by getting into 10A and then was not able to slow down hard enough (coming in at 140mph+ and taking an early apex while passing him, I had to brake a bit harder to keep the car on an OK trajectory).

Old 03-09-2013, 04:05 PM
I think I read a while back why you upgraded to Brembos...but was it because you felt the OEM set up inadequate??? Feel, endurance???

Old 03-09-2013, 04:31 PM
flyanddive is infamous around these partsflyanddive is infamous around these parts
I think I read a while back why you upgraded to Brembos...but was it because you felt the OEM set up inadequate??? Feel, endurance???
They reduce fade quite a bit over stock. Stainless steel lines would be the best bet to improve feel.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by flyanddive
They reduce fade quite a bit over stock. Stainless steel lines would be the best bet to improve feel.
Its pads and fluid that will make the largest difference in feel and performance.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:12 PM
I had a very 'hot' week end at Barber. Brake fluid was taken care of but there were not aftermarket pads available for the 991. I ended up with glazed/damaged surfaced rotors (and even slightly warped) and a lot of fading: the brakes even almost died on me before the hairpin during the last session. I went to 15" Brembo's back and rear and never had a problem anymore (but then sold the 991S, tried a GT3, got into a 991S again and put 15" Brembo's but did not check the pads I got with the BBK which ended up being FM1000 that did not do a good job).

Last edited by SM_ATL; 03-09-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:26 AM
flyanddive is infamous around these partsflyanddive is infamous around these parts
Its pads and fluid that will make the largest difference in feel and performance.
The factory fluid is Ate 200 gold. I've never had it boil to the point that the pedal faded to mush. The stock pads gave out first, but I never lost feel. If you are reaching the point where you need motul fluid then I would be considering the PCCBs.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:11 AM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by flyanddive
The factory fluid is Ate 200 gold. I've never had it boil to the point that the pedal faded to mush. The stock pads gave out first, but I never lost feel. If you are reaching the point where you need motul fluid then I would be considering the PCCBs.
+1 fully agreed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal