SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 AM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Track consumables

2 quick updates on downsides of taking your car to the track and financial planning. Nothing new of course.

Protect your windshield

Cracked windshield: one tiny bit of gravel and running a little too close behind someone else can have costly consequence (a 991 windshield replacement runs around $1k):

Maybe even worse than the cost, you may end up driving one of these for the day if your dealership is out of Porsche loaners

After replacing the windshield and before going back to the track last week end I got Clearplex installed on the car:

The protective layer is (has to be) thick and not the easiest to install.

The overall result is not bad, but:
-if you buy a pre-cut film and get it professionally installed, it will still cost you ~$350
-because the installation is difficult, you may have a few defects around the edges or very small bubbles if dust particles have been trapped
-the optical quality is not perfect and there is a bit too much distortion for my taste

The film seems to protect the windshield adequately. I'd say it is a no-brainer for a dedicated track car, but I am not sure it is a great option for a daily driver.

Check your brakes regularly

I have put a Brembo BBK (15" front and rear) on the 991S and the stopping power (combined with track tires) and absence of fading is remarkable.

When you push the car hard (and you will if you know that stopping the car is not a problem ) you pay of course attention to your brake pads. I noticed I was running thin at the end of the day at the front but failed to double check the inside pads more closely before the last session. Bad call. There was no braking issue but quite a bit of grinding on the way back, which is perfectly understandable when looking at what is left of the inside pads:

There is in fact no pad material left at all ...and even some metal of the backing plate is gone No big deal, Vividracing has been able to overnight new pads and rotors are still in good shape.
My best estimate is that I lost 25% of the pads per track day (at the front) and probably half of that at the rear.

It basically means that a set of front pads would roughly last for 275 laps on Road Atlanta... so let's say that pads will cost you ~$1.5 per lap and some change.
Nothing dramatic if you know that gas, at 8 mpg will set you back ~$1.6 per lap, track tires ~$2 per lap and track insurance ~$3.5 per lap. Even if you throw the car depreciation on top of it, you would still be below $10 per lap... and it is worth every penny of it
Your only problem is that once you get the virus, you will want to do many, many laps
Great Post. As always, very informative. If your not happy with the ClrarPlex, call the company and have it replaced. They seem to be a good company that cares about customer satisfaction. You may get the same result, but at least you'll know that it is the best it can be. I really don't see ant texture in mine that distorts the clarity. Maybe I need to drive it more in different types of light.

Tried to give you some more Rep, but I guess I need to spread some around.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dhill911
Great Post. As always, very informative. If your not happy with the ClrarPlex, call the company and have it replaced. They seem to be a good company that cares about customer satisfaction. You may get the same result, but at least you'll know that it is the best it can be. I really don't see ant texture in mine that distorts the clarity. Maybe I need to drive it more in different types of light.

Tried to give you some more Rep, but I guess I need to spread some around.
Thanks. Your experience makes me believe that I may have had an installation issue (or a bad batch?) as you have no texture/distortion effect. I'll get in touch with Precision Autowerks. They have been very helpful with my initial order.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:21 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by flyanddive
The factory fluid is Ate 200 gold. I've never had it boil to the point that the pedal faded to mush. The stock pads gave out first, but I never lost feel. If you are reaching the point where you need motul fluid then I would be considering the PCCBs.
PCCB's are a fortune (and the BBKs are also quite pricey). I'd recommend Castrol SRF which is practically impossible to boil, and then RS29's when they come out next month. I had them on my 997 and they are the cats pajamas - no fade at all under high stress (though not so kind on OEM rotors).

Old 03-11-2013, 05:33 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by flyanddive
The factory fluid is Ate 200 gold. I've never had it boil to the point that the pedal faded to mush. The stock pads gave out first, but I never lost feel. If you are reaching the point where you need motul fluid then I would be considering the PCCBs.
Contrary to what Porsche wants you to believe, the PCCBs are not fade free. They require a very precise manner into which they need to be brought up to temp, then brought back down, and you should use the track pads that Porsche recommends, or else you will burn through your very expensive rotors in no time.

Castrol SRF and Pagid RS29s. Killer combo!!!! Hopefully Pagid will release them before the upcoming track season.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:38 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by STALKER
Contrary to what Porsche wants you to believe, the PCCBs are not fade free. They require a very precise manner into which they need to be brought up to temp, then brought back down, and you should use the track pads that Porsche recommends, or else you will burn through your very expensive rotors in no time.

Castrol SRF and Pagid RS29s. Killer combo!!!! Hopefully Pagid will release them before the upcoming track season.
The track season has already started in the South
Have you had experience with RS29's on a daily driver? once the pads are bedded I'd rather not swap them and leave them on the car...
Thanks for any feedback you would have.

Serge

Old 03-11-2013, 06:53 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
The track season has already started in the South
Have you had experience with RS29's on a daily driver? once the pads are bedded I'd rather not swap them and leave them on the car...
Thanks for any feedback you would have.

Serge
You guys are lucky. I use to live in Atlanta...tracking at RA in December was always interesting. Doing 100+mph down the back straight in 35F with all windows down and the heater going, LOL.

On my last car, a BMW E90 M3 with AP BBK, I used RS29s for track and the standard pads for the street mostly.

I left the RS29s in for two season, basically from May to October. They work perfectly fine for the street, mine had great cold bite and no noise normally. The RS29s last a long time for track use, but when they are not up to temp, they tend to wear a bit faster. So you do wear them out much quicker if you leave them in. They are expensive pads, so if you want to keep them longer, then swap them out, but if you don't mind going through a set, then leave them in. My plan is to leave them in personally, Im assuming I will go through a set for sure during the summer/track season, perhaps two front sets. Will obviously depend on how many track days and how many DD miles you put on the car.
Other unknown factor for me personally how will they wear the OEM rotors, you Brembos rotors will last longer. PVT will be another factor on wear.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice. I really like the one from the front with the track leading away up behind you. Who was taking these pictures? We had AWOL Photos do ours at Roebling last month. You've got some nice pics of your very nice car.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
Very nice. I really like the one from the front with the track leading away up behind you. Who was taking these pictures? We had AWOL Photos do ours at Roebling last month. You've got some nice pics of your very nice car.
Thanks a lot Chup! ColourTechSouth was teh photographer for the BMW week end.

For other members: my post is not visible right now, I can not get to see the pictures myself (just see a black box). I'll figure it out and re-post!

Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Latest pics from the track (Road Atlanta March 2013 DE with BMW)

Struggling a bit to embed pictures from Flickr today
Had to upload to 6speed...

...and a few more on 3 wheels...

Back to Barber this week end. First time with the Guards Red

Last edited by SM_ATL; 03-18-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:28 PM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
Latest pics from the track (Road Atlanta March 2013 DE with BMW)

Awesome!

Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by opnielsen
Awesome!
Thanks! Hope we have better weather this week end at Barber than what you had at RA today! Looking forward to get a few nice pics of the 3 991's together on the track

Old 03-18-2013, 07:43 PM
oldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond repute
nice airborne shot!!! how was the landing?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:44 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
very very nice!

Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 PM
ae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to behold
very very nice, indeed...

Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
I need to move. It is still snowing here.

Great pics, Serge. I am jealous.

Marc

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal