SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:13 PM
hlee1169 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
There's a 'vette in that picture?

Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
What is Faster than a 991

The more we take our 991's to the track, the more amazed we are about how capable the car is. Here's an unusually long video with two 991's (my Guards Red 991S and Opnielsen's black 991S) going through traffic at Barber Motorsportspark. This is of course only a DE and there is no 'supercar' or seriously race prepared cars in the run group but the two 991 just fly and keep up with each other within a few yards whether the red one or the black one is leading.

So what was faster than a 991S last Sunday? Another 991S

Last edited by SM_ATL; 03-26-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:00 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Great video. Although I was a little nervous in the beginning that the minivan was going to walk away from you. Thank goodness you got around him.

I do love that track. Watching your video made me want to throw my hands in the air like I was on a rollercoaster.

Serge, Don’t forget to turn on your sport chrono. You can then download your laps.

Thanks for posting.
Marc

PS. It is still snowing here L

Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Nice drive Serge!!

They really should divide the cars into classes so you don't have to be slowed by the Sunday drivers.

ChuckJ

Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 AM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
Nice Vid! SM are you running R compound tires?

Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Nice drive Serge!!

They really should divide the cars into classes so you don't have to be slowed by the Sunday drivers.

ChuckJ
Thanks. Drivers are divided into classes and we were running in the 'Intermediate Solo' group but the diversity of cars and drivers is inevitable though. We thought about asking to go up to the advanced group on Sunday but decided we needed a bit more seat time. There were a couple of professional racers that were there to get more familiar with the track and were going very fast (around 1:35 and less vs 1:45 for us)

Originally Posted by advantyper
Nice Vid! SM are you running R compound tires?
I was running R888's for a couple of sessions on Sunday but was on Michelin PSS the rest of the time due to the weather.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:01 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
No hate or bashing here, but how comes so many 'Vettes are spinning out on the track From my short experience, it is the car I have seen getting in trouble the most. Too much power vs what the chassis can handle? Too many novice drivers jumping into an affordable high power sportscar that requires more experience to be tamed?

No offense taken for your accurate assessment. I've owned a few Corvettes and recently traded a ZO6 for my new C2S. I loved the ZO6 and respected it for what it was: A torque-wielding beast that could be coaxed into the ten-second bracket with drag radials.

However, I always knew that it was plotting to kill me while it rested in the garage. This was also part of the overall thrill: If you don't know how to drive the car, or are foolish enough to drop your guard for a moment, the car WILL try to kill you. I've seen many people learn the hard way. You need to learn and respect the car's limits.

And if you're dumb enough to shut all the Nannies off, make sure your life insurance policy is up to date.

Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by CarreraPete
No offense taken for your accurate assessment. I've owned a few Corvettes and recently traded a ZO6 for my new C2S. I loved the ZO6 and respected it for what it was: A torque-wielding beast that could be coaxed into the ten-second bracket with drag radials.

However, I always knew that it was plotting to kill me while it rested in the garage. This was also part of the overall thrill: If you don't know how to drive the car, or are foolish enough to drop your guard for a moment, the car WILL try to kill you. I've seen many people learn the hard way. You need to learn and respect the car's limits.

And if you're dumb enough to shut all the Nannies off, make sure your life insurance policy is up to date.
Thanks for the feedback. The Z06 is a bit of a mystery to me. On paper, the bhp/ton are much in favor of the Vette vs the 991S. But when you check track times (except for a couple of anomalies), the 991S turns out to be actually a bit faster. I guess that the chassis and how you can actually use the power is what makes the difference.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-03-26 at 8.58.19 PM.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	224773  
Attached Images  

Last edited by SM_ATL; 03-26-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Thanks for the feedback. The Z06 is a bit of a mystery to me. On paper, the bhp/ton are much in favor of the Vette vs the 991S. But when you check track times (except for a couple of anomalies), the 991S turns out to be actually a bit faster. I guess that the chassis and how you can actually use the power is what makes the difference.
Nice summary!

ChuckJ

Old 03-26-2013, 07:47 PM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting info, thanks for posting it

Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 PM
On the same topic, here's a MT Head2Head comparison that you probably have already seen:

Old 03-27-2013, 12:57 AM
frenzy is infamous around these parts
great video, great driving. amazed anyone would take a minivan to the track.

what do you have going on with the iPhone on the windscreen?

Old 03-27-2013, 05:33 AM
On the same topic, here's a MT Head2Head comparison that you probably have already seen:
Great video Serge!! Thanks for finding and posting it.

Notice when he takes off with the Corvette out of the garage and the rear end breaks loose a couple of times. I think that's one of the biggest shortcomings of the Vette. And his descriptions are right on:
Corvette brute force shock and awe vs sophisticated surgical strike.
Vibrations vs smoothness
Under-steer, then giant over-steer vs neutral

Yep, if you can afford the 991, it certainly is the one to have.

ChuckJ

Old 03-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by 998M
Great video. Although I was a little nervous in the beginning that the minivan was going to walk away from you. Thank goodness you got around him.
Originally Posted by frenzy
great video, great driving. amazed anyone would take a minivan to the track.
Yes the 'Minivan' (a Honda Pilot in fact) was very surprising... and quite irritating

Take a look at the attached video where you can see the bouncy Honda 'track-SUV' holding traffic back while following an imaginary minivan racing line in a continued fartcan sound.
I added a soundtrack to the video that is nearly as irritating as the minivan itself

Old 03-27-2013, 06:26 AM
I thought the tires were going to roll off the rims at one point!

The guys ahead of him were not that stellar either!

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal