SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:46 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Thanks for the feedback. The Z06 is a bit of a mystery to me. On paper, the bhp/ton are much in favor of the Vette vs the 991S. But when you check track times (except for a couple of anomalies), the 991S turns out to be actually a bit faster. I guess that the chassis and how you can actually use the power is what makes the difference.

Great comparisons. I beleive the answer is two fold. 1. HP is great but worthless if it cannot get to the ground. Simple version is that the 911 with engine in rear does an stellar job coming out of corners. 2. Speed thru corners. The new 991 turns in better than any previous 911. This allows you to start each corner just a littel bit quicker. This car just rocks.

Marc

Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Yes the 'Minivan' (a Honda Pilot in fact) was very surprising... and quite irritating

Take a look at the attached video where you can see the bouncy Honda 'track-SUV' holding traffic back while following an imaginary minivan racing line in a continued fartcan sound.
I added a soundtrack to the video that is nearly as irritating as the minivan itself

http://youtu.be/eZah3Soou0s

It does do better than I thought it would but I cannot beleive they let it on the track. The PCA does not allow SUVs. Which did upset me a little because I had a BMW X5M that would out run an E46 M3. I did lap a Caddy SRX at Savanah a couple of years ago. It made it about 3 laps before it started to smell like I burned a chicken in it.

M

Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
But when you check track times (except for a couple of anomalies), the 991S turns out to be actually a bit faster. I guess that the chassis and how you can actually use the power is what makes the difference.

You've hit the nail right on the head: The Carrera S gets the power down to the pavement much more efficiently than the ZO6. First and second gear were quite useless on the street at WOT with the ZO6, even on a hot day with good tire response.

I couldn't believe the traction I'm seeing with the C2S even on a cold day.

I'm also a little confused at the "SportAuto wet handling test" on the above list: my ZO6 was downright scary on wet pavement.

Bottom line: I'd traded in the Hemi Challenger and the ZO6 you see in the picture I'd posted for my new 991 and I couldn't be happier.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:08 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Yes the 'Minivan' (a Honda Pilot in fact) was very surprising... and quite irritating
He no doubt has a post on the Pilot forum with commentary about the 991 struggling to get by him!

Old 03-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Call 991 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
He no doubt has a post on the Pilot forum with commentary about the 991 struggling to get by him!
Hilarious!!!!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:46 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 998M
It does do better than I thought it would but I cannot beleive they let it on the track. The PCA does not allow SUVs. Which did upset me a little because I had a BMW X5M that would out run an E46 M3. I did lap a Caddy SRX at Savanah a couple of years ago. It made it about 3 laps before it started to smell like I burned a chicken in it.

M
I hear you well Marc

I personally am not dogmatic at all about the cars that are admitted on the track and everybody has the right to have fun, but when you are driving a slower car, jus give a point by. I am in fact more irritated by the driver of the Honda than by the car itself.

This being said, the car itself was sponsored by Honda (the Pilot factory is in Alabama if I am not mistaking) which is beyond ridiculous and counterproductive. Honda has nothing to prove when it comes to motorsports, so I do not know what they are trying to demonstrate here

Old 03-27-2013, 04:54 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
A couple of pics from last week end at Barber.

3 991s ready to get on the track (the 2nd black car is Opnielsen's)

On the way to the grid

3 red beauties: 991S, 1973 911 and 997.2 GT3

Business as usual

Attached Images       
Old 03-27-2013, 05:55 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CarreraPete
I'm also a little confused at the "SportAuto wet handling test" on the above list: my ZO6 was downright scary on wet pavement.
Same impression with my C6.

ChuckJ

Old 03-27-2013, 10:14 PM
991 on TV

My favorite TV character -Hank Moody- finally got himself a black 991 Cab in Californication (Runkle's car in fact). Much nicer ride than all the dirty and ruined 911 cabs he's been driving in the previous season's (had been upgraded to a 997 last year though).

Whether it is for car or girls, the guy has good taste

Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Serge, thanks waving that track junkie magnet of yours and for the pics and updates about your trip to Barber. Its all inspiring and mouth watering stuff!

Just a question... from you experience of tracking your previous non-pdcc 991 and the current pdcc 991 are you noticing a difference in tyre wear?

Old 03-28-2013, 05:18 AM
991 on TV

My favorite TV character -Hank Moody- finally got himself a black 991 Cab in Californication (Runkle's car in fact). Much nicer ride than all the dirty and ruined 911 cabs he's been driving in the previous season's (had been upgraded to a 997 last year though).

Whether it is for car or girls, the guy has good taste
I have not seen the new season where he gets a 991. I will have to start watching again. I do love Hank. I kind of like all of the other 911s he had. They had character. Besides, I am a big 993 fan.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:33 AM
I hear you well Marc

I personally am not dogmatic at all about the cars that are admitted on the track and everybody has the right to have fun, but when you are driving a slower car, jus give a point by. I am in fact more irritated by the driver of the Honda than by the car itself.

This being said, the car itself was sponsored by Honda (the Pilot factory is in Alabama if I am not mistaking) which is beyond ridiculous and counterproductive. Honda has nothing to prove when it comes to motorsports, so I do not know what they are trying to demonstrate here
Agreed. I love to see everyone at the track no matter what car or skill level. Also agree that there needs to be some self awareness.

I was watching the video again with my 20 month old this morning. I noticed that it looks like the Pilot has a roll cage in it. Interesting. Reminds me of when I raced in the ChumpCar (similar to 24 hours of Lemons).

Marc

Old 03-28-2013, 09:30 AM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Regarding the C6 Corvette, I would agree that the early models could be a handful, the later model in the hands of an experienced driver could be a track terror. The early models came with Good Year run flats and were a good all around tire, but pretty scary when pushed anything close to the limit. As the C6 evolved it became much more sophisticated and way more predictable at the limit. I believe the chassis was never the culprit, but rather the tires in combination with the suspension.

In 2009 GM released the ZR1 and in 2011, the Z06 with Z07 suspension package, which included the adjustable magnetic shock absorbers, performance traction management and Michelin Pilot Sportcup tires. This combination put the ZR1 and Z06 with Z07 package at the very top of the heap in terms of track times.

Having owned a '07 Z06 and driven the later models they are worlds apart. Ferrari uses Gm's Magnetic ride suspension specifically tuned to their cars. If you click on the link and go to the individual race tracks, you'll see the results:

http://fastestlaps.com/raceways.html

P.S. I can't wait to take delivery of my S X51!!! Why must I wait. HA!!

Old 04-03-2013, 04:49 PM
I was checking parts I still have for sale and my SpeedArt wing is still available. I Bought it new for $1,600 (+shipping), and am asking $600 + shipping costs. It is painted Carrara White. Installed on the car for only a few month. Only one 3mm dent in the paint.
Improves downforce, simple bolt on on the stock spoiler (that remains functional).
Think about buying this part as a way to motivate me to invest in new stuff for the my guards red 991...

[/url]

Reply to this post or email me directly at sm4atl@gmail.com for an immediate response

PS: if someone wonders what the 'dent' looks like, here are a couple of pics. Even with this minor defect, the wing is a bargain at $1k off retail price (and if your car is not Carrara White, you'd have to re-do the paint anyhow).

Attached Images      

Last edited by SM_ATL; 04-03-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by 998M
I have not seen the new season where he gets a 991. I will have to start watching again. I do love Hank. I kind of like all of the other 911s he had.
Thought I'd offer a short retrospective of Hank's P-cars for the other Californication fans...

The black 964 cab when Hank bought it:

...a few miles later...

...and after a jealous husband encounter:

Hank got a check and got himself a black 996 cab:

That will get stolen before the end of the episode. In season 5, he'll use Runkle's 997:

and his 991 in season 6:

Above all, we can learn from Hank how to buy a P-car, get a good discount... and side benefits:

Attached Images       

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal