SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:12 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Ciudado, Piso Mojado at Atlanta Motorsports Park.

Track day under the rain, quick video edit with 2 laps. Sorry , only one camera (to much rain to put anything outside the car). As far as the soundtrack is concerned, I am stuck in the eighties, so you'll have to deal with it

Old 04-20-2013, 08:31 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
As always, great driving. Lots of spin outs, but you managed to keep it on track. Nice . . .

Old 04-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Call 991 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Ciudado, Piso Mojado at Atlanta Motorsports Park.

Track day under the rain, quick video edit with 2 laps. Sorry , only one camera (to much rain to put anything outside the car). As far as the soundtrack is concerned, I am stuck in the eighties, so you'll have to deal with it

http://youtu.be/K98qObbB2B8
Awesome video, thanks for sharing

Old 04-20-2013, 09:07 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Thanks guys. The more I drive the 991, the more I am amazed. We were there with 4 991S and were literally flying around other cars under the rain.
I know the usual comments like the car is all 'fly by wire' and that you lose the contact with the road with the electrical steering, blah blah blah...

Nothing can be more wrong: on (very) wet surface, I could feel the grip at all four corners of the car as if my own feet were on the pavement and I could perfectly place the car to avoid losing it through standing water. In addition the PSM in Sport Plus mode (I am not crazy enough yet to run the car with PSM off in these conditions) let you get the car reasonably sideways without jumping in and taking over too soon.

One other thing is that I was running Michelin PSS and from what I heard from other 991 drivers, they seem to indicate that the OEM Pirelli's were not as good under heavy rain. This was of course a subjective discussion between different drivers...

Old 04-20-2013, 10:17 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Thanks guys. The more I drive the 991, the more I am amazed. We were there with 4 991S and were literally flying around other cars under the rain.
I know the usual comments like the car is all 'fly by wire' and that you lose the contact with the road with the electrical steering, blah blah blah...

Nothing can be more wrong: on (very) wet surface, I could feel the grip at all four corners of the car as if my own feet were on the pavement and I could perfectly place the car to avoid losing it through standing water. In addition the PSM in Sport Plus mode (I am not crazy enough yet to run the car with PSM off in these conditions) let you get the car reasonably sideways without jumping in and taking over too soon.

One other thing is that I was running Michelin PSS and from what I heard from other 991 drivers, they seem to indicate that the OEM Pirelli's were not as good under heavy rain. This was of course a subjective discussion between different drivers...
Bah. That was simple great driving in the rain. Where did you get the thing that spins slower cars off the track so you can go by them?

Old 04-20-2013, 11:56 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Great stuff; thanks for sharing!

Old 04-20-2013, 01:18 PM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Great video...

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

Old 04-20-2013, 01:39 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Marvelous!! What is that the pass by spin-out technique (just wait for them to spin-out and pass). Great rain driving!!

ChuckJ

Old 04-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Marvelous!! What is that the pass by spin-out technique (just wait for them to spin-out and pass). Great rain driving!!

ChuckJ
Thanks Chuck.
The pass by spin out technique is not intentional, but it happened more than once because a few stubborn drivers did not want to give a point by, pushed harder to try to stay ahead... until they lost it.
A few people are a bit too competitive at DE's. When I see a GTR arriving full speed in my rear view mirror, I just point by (even if I do not like it )

Old 04-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Cayman launch party at Porsche Hennessy

Dropped by at the dealership today (lunch event for the official launch of the new Cayman) and took a closer look at the car.
I must say I like it a lot and the cabin looks darn similar to a 991 (a lot of shared parts) with the same level of fit and finish.

I'll try to get behind the wheel in the coming days. I've owned a Cayman R and am curious to see if the 987 -> 981 evolution has been similar to the 997 -> 991.

Here are a couple of pics:

[/url]

Hospitality is no small thing at Hennessy

Attached Images    
Old 04-20-2013, 03:03 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice. I have an invite to a lunch launch in central JerZ next Saturday, but was up close to a new Boxter S in a mall earlier today - no comments please, it is, after all, New Jersey! I think I like the Boxter shape better than the Caymen. It looks like they tried to borrow more than the interior from the 991, they went for a longer, more gradual slope in the roof line. And IMHO, it does not suit the car well. The line of the Boxter's top works better - again, JMO.

The one on display was white with a red interior and red roof. Very nice combo, but the leather did not match that well with the roof color. I was a bit surprised by that. It was not far off, but off. Anyway, very nice. I am looking forward to sitting it them both next weekend! Great way to spend a few hours.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:25 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
enjoyed the video, thanks Still hadn't decided to make the Cayman launch out here but if there are girls there like yours, I might have to! Nicely handled

Old 04-20-2013, 03:28 PM
What did I just do

Just handed the keys of the 991 to my 17 year old for his first prom night

I'll get a few Xanax to stay relaxed tonight....

Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2013, 03:51 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
What did I just do

Just handed the keys of the 991 to my 17 year old for his first prom night

I'll get a few Xanax to stay relaxed tonight....

A FEW! This would not be possible for me. I have a daughter and I am going to need the car to tail her, and her date, whom I will refer to as "target practice"! Anyone know if you can get the car wrapped in camo?

Seriously, good looking kid in a good looking, very fast car. What could happen? Deep cleansing breadths!

Old 04-20-2013, 03:54 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AG991
A FEW! This would not be possible for me. I have a daughter and I am going to need the car to tail her, and her date, whom I will refer to as "target practice"! Anyone know if you can get the car wrapped in camo?

Seriously, good looking kid in a good looking, very fast car. What could happen? Deep cleansing breadths!
Uh oh.. hope you provided the, uhm, right accessories.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal