SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Kief is infamous around these parts
I literally just joined this forum because of this Thread, and of course because of the 991! Your car is absolutely beautiful!

Other than the Cayman, I haven't really been into Porsches (I'm more of a Bimmerhead), but that all changed once I saw the 991. There is just something about this version that makes me so obsessed.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:51 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
997.2 Turbo vs 991S

One of my friends has a 2011 997.2 Turbo and was eager to try the new 991S. On my side, I had never driven the Turbo so we swapped cars this morning and went out for a ride. Here are a few pics of the 911's in the driveway (nothing special, just for showing the 997 and 991 next to each other ):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6928851479/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6928852009/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6782734126/
We set off on our short road trip and I followed the 991S. so that I could shoot a few pics and videos of my new car.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6782734428/
I posted 2 short videos on youtube... bad quality iPhone stuff, but hey, the car is so nice!

Now a few personal impressions after having driven the 2 cars back to back. Nothing you would not have already read or heard somewhere else I think:
  • IMHO, the 991S feels or is as fast as the Turbo (but I must say that the 911S was never able to distance the Turbo...)
  • the immediacy of the torque and power response of the Turbo is amazing. You really get a kick in the butt at all rpm's. This is obviously the Turbo's selling point
  • The suspension of the Turbo had a firmer/sportier setup. It did not make it more capable but it made me notice that the 911S had a little too much body roll (no PDCC and standard PASM)
  • The cabin of the 997 is definitely dated when compared to the 991. It was really due for a refresh.

The obvious conclusion is that the 991 Turbo is going to be a fantastic car... but also that if you are in the market for a (very) fast daily driver, you should go for a 991S rather than a 997 Turbo. If you are looking for a week end/track car, the conclusion may not be the same. Just a personal opinion of course.

PS: in terms of future mods, I could be doing something to reduce body roll, but it is really not an urgency and a PDCC retrofit is not an option. If you guys think about ordering a 991, include the PDCC in your build!

Old 02-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
The turbo will always be the car all others are compared to.
That said, I agree that with the new 991 Porsche has taken it to a new level.
Glad to get an unbiased and straight comparison review!
Thanks!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kief
Other than the Cayman, I haven't really been into Porsches (I'm more of a Bimmerhead), but that all changed once I saw the 991. There is just something about this version that makes me so obsessed.
You are absolutely right (about the Cayman and 991 ).
I recently had the opportunity to attend the 1 day M school at BMW's Performance Driving School in South Carolina and we got to drive the 1M, M3 and M5 (E60 unfortunately, F10's were not available yet). Whereas the 1M lacked finesse and refinement and the M5 felt too heavy, the M3 was a blast.
I liked its dual personality of being a good daily driver option in normal mode and a fun car on the track in M mode. Sure the M3 and 991 are different cars with a different balance, but it is this kind of comfort/sportiness duality that you would find magnified in the 991.
Come on, let the obsession grow on you and join the dark side

I could not resist to add a shot clip showing a lap of BMW's track in the M3:

Old 02-26-2012, 09:35 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL

[*]The suspension of the Turbo had a firmer/sportier setup. It did not make it more capable but it made me notice that the 911S had a little too much body roll (no PDCC and standard PASM)
[/LIST]
The obvious conclusion is that the 991 Turbo is going to be a fantastic car... but also that if you are in the market for a (very) fast daily driver, you should go for a 991S rather than a 997 Turbo. If you are looking for a week end/track car, the conclusion may not be the same. Just a personal opinion of course.

PS: in terms of future mods, I could be doing something to reduce body roll, but it is really not an urgency and a PDCC retrofit is not an option. If you guys think about ordering a 991, include the PDCC in your build!
Good advice...PDCC is a great option.

The firmer suspension of the turbo should make it more capable in many situations where performance is key. On the street...it not a big deal.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 AM
the2thdr has a spectacular aura aboutthe2thdr has a spectacular aura about
I recently had the opportunity to attend the 1 day M school at BMW's Performance Driving School in South Carolina and we got to drive the 1M, M3 and M5 (E60 unfortunately, F10's were not available yet). Whereas the 1M lacked finesse and refinement and the M5 felt too heavy, the M3 was a blast.
I liked its dual personality of being a good daily driver option in normal mode and a fun car on the track in M mode. Sure the M3 and 991 are different cars with a different balance, but it is this kind of comfort/sportiness duality that you would find magnified in the 991.
Come on, let the obsession grow on you and join the dark side

I could not resist to add a shot clip showing a lap of BMW's track in the M3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqeXShKiqYA

Ugh...my personal dilemna. 2009 M3 with HRE P40's, Vorsteiner parts, Brembo's in candy apple red at all 4 corners, lowered on HR, and Eisenmann race. Absolutely fantastic car and incredible sound.

BUT...damn I cannot stop looking at this 991. Went to the unveiling and I just can't stop coming on to this particular thread and looking at SM-ATL's pics and journal. Already blew threw one laptop from the drool going through the keyboard...lol.

Seriously, though, I didn't see myself getting rid of my M3 as I have changed too many times in the past and now that I garage the M3 in the winter, it is like buying it all over again each spring. However, after the unveiling event, I went for a scheduled 90min test drive with my wife and when she walked in the showroom and saw a black on black 991 Carerra S, her first sentence was "trade your car in."

Damn, I was not supposed to be doing this but....resistance is futile.

Sorry for the minor thread jack, SM-ATL...back to regular programming...and hopefully more pictures.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by the2thdr
...her first sentence was "trade your car in".
What a great wife you have!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:48 PM
I recently had the opportunity to attend the 1 day M school at BMW's Performance Driving School in South Carolina
Yeah, I participated in BMW's Performance Driving School (although not the M school) and it was a blast!

I also did European Delivery on my previous E92. Now that Porsche is graciously no longer charging folks to take delivery in Germany (however, there is still room to improve, namely with passing on the savings to the client), perhaps I may take advantage of the offer on a future 991!

Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Kief
Now that Porsche is graciously no longer charging folks to take delivery in Germany (however, there is still room to improve, namely with passing on the savings to the client), perhaps I may take advantage of the offer on a future 991!
I never took delivery of a car in Europe (except when I lived there during the first 37 years of my life -facepalm-), but if Posche pays for the shipment of the car from a European port to the US, there may not be any savings for them but extra administrative costs. Not quite sure... but will be interested to know for a next time.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by fixedupw203
Can you post pics of the interior please?
Sorry, it took me a while to take pics of the interior, but there is not much special about it, just a standard black interior, no full leather. Here are a few pics though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6786787978/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6786790386/
A small detail I did not post before: the laser jammer LED nicely tucked at the bottom of the A-pillar:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6932902091/
Porsche did a good job and got me a new stopwatch with the silver trim in a bit more than a week. They swapped the units in about 15 minutes. Must be pretty simple to do...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6932903403/
And finally a grief about the 991's lauded fit and finish: the top part of the door trim panel is not as firmly attached or stiff as it should, and if you drive with your elbow resting on it, there will be a little squeaking noise. I shot a short video with my iPhone, you can not hear the squeaking though, but I swear it's there .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6932971927/

I checked at the dealership and all 991s had the same issue (there was not one available with full leather though so I do not know if the leather panel has the same issue). OK, I am splitting hair and being **** about the finish of the car but there is no such (minor) issue on my GTI that costs 25% of the 991 price.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:48 PM
fixedupw203 is infamous around these parts
Sorry, it took me a while to take pics of the interior, but there is not much special about it, just a standard black interior, no full leather. Here are a few pics though.

I checked at the dealership and all 991s had the same issue (there was not one available with full leather though so I do not know if the leather panel has the same issue). OK, I am splitting hair and being **** about the finish of the car but there is no such (minor) issue on my GTI that costs 25% of the 991 price.

Awsome! Thanks, I ordered the black standard leather with the same steering wheel so it's nice to see. The door issue is a bit troubling since I ordered the cab I might be resting my arm there but oh well. As you said, nothing to split hair over.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 PM
but if Posche pays for the shipment of the car from a European port to the US, there may not be any savings for them but extra administrative costs. Not quite sure... but will be interested to know for a next time.
Shipping costs should be the same as delivery here in the US, assuming it is the same as what BMW does. One benefit from Porsche, is apparently they will pay for winter tires/rims if you take delivery during the winter months--something BMW does not provide.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ll-models.html

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-delivery.html

Old 02-26-2012, 05:14 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
I like the simplicity of the standard black interior. I appreciate the full leathers and deviating stitches, too. For my minimalist taste though, the standard black interior is great.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:15 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
That door panel looks like it could use a bit stiffening, indeed.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Awesome thread. The sport steering wheel is a must. I took out a launch car w/o the sport wheel and damn near blew the car up (I know its not possible with PDK) as the push/pull buttons are the worst execution of auto-manual tranmissions. After 10 minutes I started using the gear shifter. Totally killed the test drive.

Anyway, congrats on your car and your quick work of upgrades.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal