SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:37 PM
allans is infamous around these parts
Serge, Thanks for the screen idea, i'll have to do it too. Q. What oil temps are you seeing on track? My temps get as hi as 275+-. Will probably do a center rad soon. Allan

Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by allans
Serge, Thanks for the screen idea, i'll have to do it too. Q. What oil temps are you seeing on track? My temps get as hi as 275+-. Will probably do a center rad soon. Allan
My oil temperature did not exceed 250 over the last couple of events... but it was no more than 60-70 outside either. I'll see how it turns out during the summer. I ran at Barber last year with my previous 991S when the temperature was between 90 and 100F and the oil temp did not get into the red zone (but I burnt my brakes ).

Serge

Old 04-22-2013, 06:33 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ma991
Awesome job on the mesh grill Serge. Would you mind scanning your template and save as a pdf and posting it here so that the rest of us can use it? It seems like a perfect fit. Thanks in advance.
Mesh Grill Template

I 'cut' the template in 2 parts that could each fit on a letter size page.
Here's a PDF. Just print at 100% size and assemble the template.

I hope it helps!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Grill template.pdf (164.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 PM
ma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Mesh Grill Template

I 'cut' the template in 2 parts that could each fit on a letter size page.
Here's a PDF. Just print at 100% size and assemble the template.

I hope it helps!
Awesome, thanks so much. This will be a huge help. I love this forum.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 PM
I have seen the light!!!

Meaning, I have decided to keep my PSE (throwing away a good piece of engineering was too difficult for me) and I'll get Fabspeed Headers with 200cell cats installed. They'll provide a bit more sound and hopefully a little bit more oomph. I have a good -subjective- recollection of how they performed on my first 991. That will be it for now. The Scorpion Tuning exhaust is still very tempting, but I am not ready yet!

While I was at it, I ordered BMC air filters. I expect to pick up 0.3hp but I love a little DYI. In addition I had found out on my previous 991 that the air filter got dirty quite rapidly...

Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Carbon Fiber trim by oCarbon

I still had a set of silver dashboard and centre console trim from my previous 991 and rather than throwing a second set away to upgrade to CF, I got in touch with Matt @ oCarbon (http://ocarbon.com) to do a CF conversion.

Here are the parts that will be oCarbon-ised:

I have used some of Matt's products before in my Audi S4 and was extremely satisfied with the quality, so I am really looking forward to get the parts back

I should get work in progress pictures of the parts and will share them.

Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2013, 09:50 AM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Carbon Fiber trim by oCarbon

I still had a set of silver dashboard and centre console trim from my previous 991 and rather than throwing a second set away to upgrade to CF, I got in touch with Matt @ oCarbon (http://ocarbon.com) to do a CF conversion.

Here are the parts that will be oCarbon-ised:

I have used some of Matt's products before in my Audi S4 and was extremely satisfied with the quality, so I am really looking forward to get the parts back

I should get work in progress pictures of the parts and will share them.
Something tells me you have the mod bug in the worst way. looking forward to seeing the carbon pieces. Are they overlays?

Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by handfull
Something tells me you have the mod bug in the worst way. looking forward to seeing the carbon pieces. Are they overlays?
I assume they will be overlays, but not exactly sure how Matt is going to proceed.

Yes, I have the mod bug in the worst way and I have not found a rehab program for this type of addiction yet

I have nothing else in mind for the time being though

Old 04-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Dropping by at the dealership to test drive a CaymanS tomorrow. Not sure yet if I'll try a manual or PDK...

PS: no, I am not trading in my 991

Old 04-24-2013, 04:16 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of

I don't believe you.
Marc

Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by 998M

I don't believe you.
Marc
There are cars I test drove and never bought... A Camaro for instance...

Old 04-24-2013, 05:07 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Dropping by at the dealership to test drive a CaymanS tomorrow. Not sure yet if I'll try a manual or PDK...

How bout one of these?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:46 PM
carcam is infamous around these parts
The 'spoiled kid' already drives an APR Stage 2+ GTI (with Coilovers, BBK and a couple of suspension upgrades).

I built that car for myself 2 years ago when I thought I would not daily drive my P-car and wanted something a bit less conspicuous for visiting customers etc.
I ended up driving the Porsche(s) everyday -there is no substitute- and there was no sense to buy a car for my son when he started driving (plus I wanted him to start with a manual transmission). The GTI is a fun car and with close to 300hp, it is stupid quick. I still enjoy driving it.
Hey Serge- back in your pre-911 days, I was showing my son your GTI upgrades, then the Cayman R (you're always an inspiration) and he got a VW Golf R and did all the APR upgrades that you did on your GTI. Great car for the money and very fun to drive. Even with the 991S, it brings a big grin to my face every time I drive it.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by carcam
Hey Serge- back in your pre-911 days, I was showing my son your GTI upgrades, then the Cayman R (you're always an inspiration) and he got a VW Golf R and did all the APR upgrades that you did on your GTI. Great car for the money and very fun to drive. Even with the 991S, it brings a big grin to my face every time I drive it.
Thanks! A GTI -and even more an R- is a great car and the best value for money you can get in its price range. Throw a few APR upgrades on top and it becomes a ton of fun. During a wet track day at AMP last Friday, a tuned GTI was almost able to stay ahead of the 991 and passed a couple of 997's

Old 04-24-2013, 08:09 PM
carcam is infamous around these parts
Wink

Thanks! A GTI -and even more an R- is a great car and the best value for money you can get in its price range. Throw a few APR upgrades on top and it becomes a ton of fun. During a wet track day at AMP last Friday, a tuned GTI was almost able to stay ahead of the 991 and passed a couple of 997's
Maybe our kids and their vee dubs need to show us how it's done at the Tail of the Dragon in June? I think I'm going up with HAKU Saturday. Wrong thread, I know

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal