SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:18 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carcam
Maybe our kids and their vee dubs need to show us how it's done at the Tail of the Dragon in June? I think I'm going up with HAKU Saturday. Wrong thread, I know
Not sure yet I can make in on Saturday, but I'll figure it out shortly. My kid will probably join with his GTI on Sunday for logistical support and with a top notch camera to take pictures of the P-group (I told him he would have to stay 200 yards behind us though )

Edit: I could not resist. The proud father had to show a clip of his offspring during his first track initiation day at Little Tally..

Last edited by SM_ATL; 04-24-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
During a wet track day at AMP last Friday, a tuned GTI was almost able to stay ahead of the 991 and passed a couple of 997's
Ok, it's a bit weird to quote myself... but here's a one lap video showing what a well driven GTI can do, especially under the rain...

Back to 911's now

Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 AM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Dropping by at the dealership to test drive a CaymanS tomorrow. Not sure yet if I'll try a manual or PDK...

PS: no, I am not trading in my 991
I went to the dealer yesterday to get my 991 tech inspected and used the wait time test driving the hairdresser, I must admit it's a fun car however IMO it is lacking power.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:28 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Is that a 3.4?

ChuckJ

Old 04-25-2013, 06:49 AM
carcam is infamous around these parts
In the right hands, those GTI's are sure capable. You would probably pass me in a stock Miata

Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Is that a 3.4?

ChuckJ
Must be. An entire 3.4s worth of power seems to kick in at the top end!

(I liked the part were he describes replacing a broken rocker arm, with whatever tools he could scrounge up)!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:54 AM
2014 Porsche Cayman S test drive

I went to Porsche Hennessy yesterday to get a closer look at the new Cayman (S) and test drive one. My Porsche sales contact -David G.- did a great job of going through all the questions I had. I definitely recommend to work with him if you ever go to Hennessy in Roswell.

I would say in brief that everything you have read about the Cayman S is true
The new 981 is a lot smoother than the 987 (much like what you would find out comparing a 991 to a 997). The car is more stable, still as well balanced with its mid engine, softer, better finished, etc. In fact, most of the cabin (and a bunch of other) parts come directly from the 991...

I test drove a pretty well loaded Cayman S with PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM, etc. and the MSRP was about $82k. It is definitely a fast and comfortable coupe . Now when you are in that kind of price range, you are getting close to the 991 Carrera territory, so why not take that additional step ?

Regarding power, I have read a lot of complains (check the very long thread about the 'disappointment in the 3.4 engine...' on this forum ), but unless you are a looking for a big kick in the butt when you floor it, the car is quick enough... And if you keep the car above 4,000 rpm is Sport Plus mode, you will even feel the 'kick'. There are not a lot of track times and performance data available for the Cayman S yet, here is a quick comparison between a Boxster S (10 hp less than the Cayman) and a E92 M3 that, I think, is self-explanatory enough:

My personal advice would be to go for a bare bone manual Cayman S. At $65k, you will have everything you really need and the best value for money for a car that definitely deserves it Porsche badge.

PS: two interesting things I found out about the Cayman during my visit at the dealership:

There is now a nicer piece of metal trim in the trunk and you would logically jump to the conclusion that the 2 circular plastic parts are covering the upper mount of the shocks (in case you are thinking of installing PSS10's later on ).

Well, no, these caps simply give access to the oil and water filler caps!

The other thing we noticed has remained a mystery so far. If you look at the next two pictures, you will see that the center plastic part of the front bumpers are different:

one is a dull flat piece of plastic -like on the 991-:

the other one has a different shape and connects with the radiator air intakes. Not great but much nicer already -would be a nice improvement on the 991 as well IMHO- :

Looking at the car sticker and list of options, we could not really understand why there was such a difference

Attached Images      

Last edited by SM_ATL; 04-26-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:39 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Nicely reported, Serge.

ChuckJ

Old 04-26-2013, 11:26 AM
braindoc1 has a spectacular aura aboutbraindoc1 has a spectacular aura about
Good summary... Attended the launch last night By the local dealership. A great looking car, haven't had the privilege to drive it yet.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Carbon Fiber trim by oCarbon - update

Parts to be covered in CF arrived yesterday and Matt got on them immediately. Lots of progress in a very short time
Epoxy will go down next week!

!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:02 AM
After having cleaned the cars yesterday, my son and I went for a quick photoshoot that we are cross-posting on our build threads.

You may say that both cars have nothing in common, but they now are made by the same company and both have the same ancestor: the good old beetle (if you look at VW's family tree, the Golf is today's beetle)

Enjoy the few pics...

Attached Images          

Last edited by SM_ATL; 04-28-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Wow ...golf is monstrous big!

Old 04-28-2013, 01:18 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Very nice photos, and thanks for your review of the Cayman; very interesting.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:25 PM
carcam is infamous around these parts
Great pictures. I'll have to do the same with my son's Golf R if we can ever get them cleaned up at the same time.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:22 PM
I'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud of
Well done. Always been a fan of VW Golf, especially GTI & R32 variety.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal