SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fester
Thanks - this is helpful, rep points your way

Look forward to more input on this topic as you gain more experience...BTW, how you're using this without smartcord live???

Also, what kind of iphone5 holder you're using? It looks useful
No I have not invested yet in the Smartcord live (want to better assess the performance of the system first as I have my stuff hardwired). The Smartcord live is mostly there to help other drivers by reporting what my detector has picked up. Undetected speed traps -which is why I use the system- have to be entered through the smartphone anyhow. If the app keeps working and proves useful, I'll be a good community guy and buy the Smartcord.

My iPhone 5 holder is a simple ProClip USA holder. Works fine and does not look too tacky.

Serge

Old 05-01-2013, 08:12 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
I got iphone5...There's a "readout" function which reads your SMS messages out loud..have you used it? BTW, I'm not able to get emails to show up..how you do that?
Have not tried it yet. Works through Siri I think. Emails on PCM do not work with iPhone5, only text messages (without sender ID!!). Maybe Apple or Porsche will fix it in the future, but it is not a must have functionality anyhow (very cumbersome and distracting from the trial I made with an Android phone).

Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Have not tried it yet. Works through Siri I think. Emails on PCM do not work with iPhone5, only text messages (without sender ID!!). Maybe Apple or Porsche will fix it in the future, but it is not a must have functionality anyhow (very cumbersome and distracting from the trial I made with an Android phone).
No it doesn't work thru Siri. It's a PCM function. Detail below:

Press the "Phone" button.
Select “Messages”.
Depending on which list you want to open, select “SMS”.
Open the relevant message by selecting it.
Select “Read out”.
The contents of the text message are read out for you.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:21 AM

No it doesn't work thru Siri. It's a PCM function. Detail below:

Press the "Phone" button.
Select “Messages”.
Depending on which list you want to open, select “SMS”.
Open the relevant message by selecting it.
Select “Read out”.
The contents of the text message are read out for you.
Thanks. Will try!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 AM
MayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud of
Hi, great thread! I've read a lot of it, and it sounds like you are running 19's with a smaller diameter that the stock 20's. Has this caused any noticeable problems (do you have PDCC?) I'm trying to figure out my track setup, and it seems there aren't many affordable options at either 19 or 20. With 19 you can get the R888, but that's about it as far as R comp that can also be driven on the street. In the 20's, the Trofeo R is crazy expensive, and doesn't seem appealing for only 2 track weekend's use. It looks like you're on R888s. How many weekends do you get out of them? Thanks!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:09 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Hi, great thread! I've read a lot of it, and it sounds like you are running 19's with a smaller diameter that the stock 20's. Has this caused any noticeable problems (do you have PDCC?) I'm trying to figure out my track setup, and it seems there aren't many affordable options at either 19 or 20. With 19 you can get the R888, but that's about it as far as R comp that can also be driven on the street. In the 20's, the Trofeo R is crazy expensive, and doesn't seem appealing for only 2 track weekend's use. It looks like you're on R888s. How many weekends do you get out of them? Thanks!
I would not assume that the rolling diameter is any different.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 AM
MayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud of
It is.

245/35/20 does not equal 245/35/19

It seems there are a few people using this. I was looking for SM_ATL's experience and suggestions for track setups. I hear bad things about R888, but I don't see any other options in our sizes. Nitto mostly only makes 18 and below.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I have run 19" with R888 (235/35 front, 295/30 rear first and 305/30 now) on my first 991S that was standard PASM, no PDCC and on the new one that is SPASM+PDCC. This is indeed a smaller diameter that what you get when you buy for instance a base 991 with 19" wheels, but I have not had any issues.
The car handles just fine, there is no error message, PDCC works OK and PSM as well. There is also no trace of abnormal wear on the tires. I change the tire setting to 19" in the on board computer but I do not know if it is really necessary.

From my short experience, and I know heat cycles matter more than mileage or track days, you can get about 6 DE's out of a set of R888's (I have done 5 track days with my last set and I am roughly half way through). I do not have any complains about the tires and they are even OK on the street under a light rain -I do not commute with them, just drive to the track and back if it is a short distance-. They definitely make a difference on the track and are also a good complement to the BBK I have installed.

I would not hesitate recommending this setup.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Awesome info, thanks! Why the 305 now? On tire rack, it appears to be a lot more expensive. Rather, the 295 seems particularly cheap.

I wish we could fit 18"s on the car. Then we could maybe use some Nittos.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
I have run 19" with R888 (235/35 front, 295/30 rear first and 305/30 now) on my first 991S that was standard PASM, no PDCC and on the new one that is SPASM+PDCC. This is indeed a smaller diameter that what you get when you buy for instance a base 991 with 19" wheels, but I have not had any issues.
The car handles just fine, there is no error message, PDCC works OK and PSM as well. There is also no trace of abnormal wear on the tires. I change the tire setting to 19" in the on board computer but I do not know if it is really necessary.

From my short experience, and I know heat cycles matter more than mileage or track days, you can get about 6 DE's out of a set of R888's (I have done 5 track days with my last set and I am roughly half way through). I do not have any complains about the tires and they are even OK on the street under a light rain -I do not commute with them, just drive to the track and back if it is a short distance-. They definitely make a difference on the track and are also a good complement to the BBK I have installed.

I would not hesitate recommending this setup.
I am running the same tires (in 295 rears) on Carrera Classic 19" wheels. Have done 2 track days on them (really closer to 4 because I shared my car with my brother in Green group), and drove to the track and back (110 miles each way) on them. On the track, they are phenomenally grippy so far. On the street, they hum pretty loudly but otherwise no issues. I'm going to Watkins Glen in 2 weeks and if my neighbor doesn't join me with his trailer, I may go on my stock tires (5 hr drive each way).

Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by KonaKai
I am running the same tires (in 295 rears) on Carrera Classic 19" wheels. Have done 2 track days on them (really closer to 4 because I shared my car with my brother in Green group), and drove to the track and back (110 miles each way) on them. On the track, they are phenomenally grippy so far. On the street, they hum pretty loudly but otherwise no issues. I'm going to Watkins Glen in 2 weeks and if my neighbor doesn't join me with his trailer, I may go on my stock tires (5 hr drive each way).
Have you been to the Glen before?? Its AMAZING!!!! We normally go twice a year.

Its tough on brakes, but not to bad on tires.

We go with a great group, Phoenix CMR.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:35 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by STALKER
Have you been to the Glen before?? Its AMAZING!!!! We normally go twice a year.

Its tough on brakes, but not to bad on tires.

We go with a great group, Phoenix CMR.
It's my favorite track! I dream often about turn 6 (the chute). Last year I went in October and the setting was stunning, with the falling leaves all orange and red - including many on the track... No traction issues tho .

I will look for Phoenix on the schedule. May 16 is with Champlain PCA.

Serge - sorry for hijacking the thread. Great stuff from you as always.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Tom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really nice
Awesome! Very helpful! I had guessed 32/36, so not too far off. Let's see what tomorrow brings ;-)

I have started around 32/34 psi cold lately and made sure I stayed at 40 psi max by bleeding/adjusting at the end of each session.
TPMS works well, but having your pressure gauge and cigarette lighter powered inflator comes handy (unless you are there with friends who have serious equipment).

Enjoy your track day. You will love the 991 on the track

Old 05-02-2013, 10:27 AM
sqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud of
Thought I'd offer a short retrospective of Hank's P-cars for the other Californication fans...

The black 964 cab when Hank bought it:
I thought he had an older 3.2 cab the first couple seasons, am I misremembering?

Aside, this dealership is about a block from my house. It's been gone a couple years. Pretty typical scummy used car place, but they always had some interesting classics around on the lot. Would never have trusted them enough to buy one, but it was fun to drive by and gawk!

Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2013, 11:33 AM
sqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dhill911
Hey Serge,

I had the same problem with my Hero 3. Never had a Hero 2. They replaced my camera and the new one had the same problem, especially when onnecting the LCD Touchscreen attachment. They just came out with a 2nd firmware update in the middle of this month, and it seems to have fixed my problem.

Dennis
Dennis & Serge-

It was my understanding when I was researching GoPros this spring that this issue is limited to the top end "hero 3 black". FWIW, I bought the medium level "hero 3 silver" and have had no issues with it.

Corey

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal