SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sqweak
I thought he had an older 3.2 cab the first couple seasons, am I misremembering?
Hank was already driving a 964 in season 1. This is how he lost his right headlight in the first episode:

Old 05-02-2013, 11:37 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sqweak
Dennis & Serge-

It was my understanding when I was researching GoPros this spring that this issue is limited to the top end "hero 3 black". FWIW, I bought the medium level "hero 3 silver" and have had no issues with it.

Corey
Thanks for the feedback! I'll give it a try.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:09 PM
sqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Hank was already driving a 964 in season 1. This is how he lost his right headlight in the first episode:

I really love that show, it's a damn shame we fell behind by not having sho for a while. Need to catch back up! Thanks for the correction.

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Thanks for the feedback! I'll give it a try.
To elaborate, again in my understanding: The black edition is the only "new" one of the three, but I didn't see the need for greater than 1080p resolution at this time for my very amateur uses. The silver is in essence the same guts as the hero 2, but in the new case design and inclusive of the wifi and other subtle improvements. Further, the white == original hero.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Work in progress. New pics received from Matt @ oCarbon.
Parts will get another few coats of epoxy. Then they need to cure for a week or two and spend some time in the oven before they get fully trimmed and sanded.

Patience will eventually be rewarded

Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2013, 05:52 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Can't wait to see the finished product!

BTW Serge, is the GT3 peaking your curiosity enough to try one out?

ChuckJ

Old 05-03-2013, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Can't wait to see the finished product!

BTW Serge, is the GT3 peaking your curiosity enough to try one out?

ChuckJ
Thanks Chuck!
I am more than just curious about the GT3 but I have decided to wait until it has reaches our shores, test drive one and determine if it would be an OK DD too. Based on my previous -short- experience with a GT3, it was a blast for spirited drives and a nightmare when you came back late from the office, stuck in a traffic jam with a bad headache. The 991S does both well. I'll find out about the GT3 next year...

Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Ok Serge...gear up for 991 Turbo S now

Old 05-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Fester
Ok Serge...gear up for 991 Turbo S now
Looks like a real beast ... but I like NA engines better. I'd probably go for a GT3 (if drivable as a DD) rather than a Turbo. Looks like there will be a couple of exciting test drives in the coming months!

Old 05-03-2013, 01:32 PM
MayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud of
How do you find the stock brakes pads and rotors on the track? Are you still using the factory setup?

Old 05-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
How do you find the stock brakes pads and rotors on the track? Are you still using the factory setup?
I am running a Brembo Gran Turismo 15" BBK at the front and the rear with HP2000 pads. I killed a full set of stock brakes -glazed and warped rotors- last summer at Barber during a very 'hot' week end. Stock brakes are OK for a normal use. If you push the car to the max and use track tires, I'd recommend to upgrade the brakes. The Brembo BBK is perfect with no fading, even under the most intense use.

Attached Images   
Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 PM
MayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud of
Ouch, my wallet. That appears to be about a 10k upgrade!?

Old 05-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Ouch, my wallet. That appears to be about a 10k upgrade!?
Probably a bit less. Take also into account that you can resell your stock brakes to a 3.4 Carrera owner who wants to upgrade or sell your BBK when you trade the car in. Not more expensive than PCCB, works just as well on the track with much lower costs in case of issue (rotor to replace, etc...).
Definitely expensive but makes a lot of difference on the track. Works too well in fact as I almost got rear ended a couple of times in emergency braking situations

Old 05-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Out of curiosity, did you try just upgrading the rotors and pads first?

p.s. Thanks for answering all these questions!! :-)

Old 05-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Out of curiosity, did you try just upgrading the rotors and pads first?

p.s. Thanks for answering all these questions!! :-)
No worries, that's why this forum exists!
There was no other options for the brakes when I got the BBK. I think Yellow Pagid pads may be available now. You could give it a try, go for stainless steel lines and use a higher performance brake fluid as a starting point.
I think Brembo also makes 2 pieces direct replacement rotors now and you could start by upgrading the front rotors only. Going for these options would probably cost a bit more than $3k with labor and could probably be enough.
In my case, I wanted to play it safe and be sure that I could go as crazy as I wanted without to have to worry about braking power

PS: one of the issues I had with the stock brakes is that the holes of the drilled rotors got totally filled/blocked with brake dust after the first session.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:13 PM
I stopped by at Freed Performance today and they were installing a bbi rollbar, Recaro Profi seats and Schroth harnesses in the 991S of my good friend and track buddy David. The result looks good and seats are easy to swap (4 bolts by seat and that's it). I am also swapping my 18 ways comfy stock seats with GT2 seats for the track and it is a good option... as long as PCNA does not import 991 bucket seats

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal