SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Totoman is infamous around these parts
I really can't dial the search function in so here goes the question - what was the name of the app you are using to record videos of driving on track (with acceleration/braking functions, speed, etc.)? Thanks!

Old 05-04-2013, 04:00 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Totoman
I really can't dial the search function in so here goes the question - what was the name of the app you are using to record videos of driving on track (with acceleration/braking functions, speed, etc.)? Thanks!
Harry's Laptimer Pro on the iPhone. Can be complemented with an Emprun GPS for iPhone for improved accuracy (not essential though).

Old 05-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Looks like a real beast ... but I like NA engines better. I'd probably go for a GT3 (if drivable as a DD) rather than a Turbo. Looks like there will be a couple of exciting test drives in the coming months!
Couldn't agree more- I'm also NA engine guy! Test drives, you betcha

Old 05-04-2013, 06:14 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
No worries, that's why this forum exists!
There was no other options for the brakes when I got the BBK. I think Yellow Pagid pads may be available now. You could give it a try, go for stainless steel lines and use a higher performance brake fluid as a starting point.
I think Brembo also makes 2 pieces direct replacement rotors now and you could start by upgrading the front rotors only. Going for these options would probably cost a bit more than $3k with labor and could probably be enough.
In my case, I wanted to play it safe and be sure that I could go as crazy as I wanted without to have to worry about braking power

PS: one of the issues I had with the stock brakes is that the holes of the drilled rotors got totally filled/blocked with brake dust after the first session.
The Pagids have supposed to come out for about 6 months now

I don't know why they are so delayed (it's not like they are creating a new compound for chrissakes!) but anyway when they are released I believe it will be a much cheaper and almost equally effective solution (based on my experience with the 997).

Irrespective of the pads and rotors, upgrading and flushing the fluid often is a must with the 991, because the PTV is very hard on the rear brakes.

Personally, I am still using the stock pads and rotors for the time being (with Toyos). They have been fine on all tracks except Pocono which has a series of short, tight turns, which smoked (but didn't melt or warp) the rear pads.

If you do use the stock setup, on a hot day, a little precaution goes a long way: In the middle of the session, do a cooldown lap or two. On cooler days I have done extended sessions with no issues. As always on the track, listen to what the car is telling you before small issues become bigger ones.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:35 AM
Totoman is infamous around these parts

Harry's Laptimer Pro on the iPhone. Can be complemented with an Emprun GPS for iPhone for improved accuracy (not essential though).
Thanks

Old 05-06-2013, 05:00 PM
SujanPatel is infamous around these parts
I stopped by at Freed Performance today and they were installing a bbi rollbar, Recaro Profi seats and Schroth harnesses in the 991S of my good friend and track buddy David. The result looks good and seats are easy to swap (4 bolts by seat and that's it). I am also swapping my 18 ways comfy stock seats with GT2 seats for the track and it is a good option... as long as PCNA does not import 991 bucket seats

Is the height of the seats adjustable (with brackets)? Also does it cause any CEL?

I'm thinking of replacing m 18 way seats for a pair of bucket seats as well but rather not have have a check engine light

Old 05-06-2013, 05:38 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Yes, the seats can be adjusted to your preference with the brackets (but they then get bolted in the right position). You will of course not get a Check Engine Light but the airbag sign will be on as the system won't get a response from your OEM seat airbags and weight sensors. Everything goes back to normal when you reinstall your stock seats.

You will of course need a rollbar to properly install the harness and I am not aware of any other product that the bbi rollbar for the 991 (a bit pricey but good quality).

Old 05-06-2013, 06:00 PM
SportCats headers - Part 1

Swung by at Freed Performance today to get new Fabspeed headers installed.
Everything looked good and the headers were as well finished as ever with Fabspeed.

Car in place to received the transplant:

Close up on stock header:

And now comes the time to swap... Do you notice that something is missing ?!?

Yes!, the 'holes' for the O2 sensors are missing!!! Fabspeed did a good job at expediting the order but someone at the shop must have forgotten the last fabrication step and rushed the headers to the shipping department.

I have dealt with Fabspeed on several occasions and it is the first time that there is an issue. Nothing serious, really, they'll fix it diligently and turn the headers around quickly. Since I was a bit frustrated to have to wait a bit longer, I ordered the Deluxe tips (looked great on Nicoli's car, but I'll get them in chrome as my car is all red & silver).

Attached Images    

Last edited by SM_ATL; 05-06-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
SportCats headers - Part 1

Swung by at Freed Performance today to get new Fabspeed headers installed.
Everything looked good and the headers were as well finished as ever with Fabspeed.

Car in place to received the transplant:

Close up on stock header:

And now comes the time to swap... Do you notice that something is missing ?!?

Yes!, the 'holes' for the O2 sensors are missing!!! Fabspeed did a good job at expediting the order but someone at the shop must have forgotten the last fabrication step and rushed the headers to the shipping department.

I have dealt with Fabspeed on several occasions and it is the first time that there is an issue. Nothing serious, really, they'll fix it diligently and turn the headers around quickly. Since I was a bit frustrated to have to wait a bit longer, I ordered the Deluxe tips (looked great on Nicoli's car, but I'll get them in chrome as my car is all red & silver).
They look awesome! Can't wait to hear what you think. I'm very close pulling the trigger on their race exhaust....

Old 05-06-2013, 07:10 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Wow super awesome and sorry for your extra wait but I'm sure it will be worth it!!!! Can't wait myself to see and hear (wink) your setup. Very nice and thanks for the pics so far!!

(via 6SpeedOnline iOS)

Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
They look awesome! Can't wait to hear what you think. I'm very close pulling the trigger on their race exhaust....
If you do not want to have quiet/loud option like with the PSE or similar systems, Fabspeed's exhaust may be the best value for money. As I have posted earlier, I had the full Fabspeed system, incl. intake and tune, on my 996 and the sound was great (and performance improvement close enough to what they claimed).

Originally Posted by nicoli
Wow super awesome and sorry for your extra wait but I'm sure it will be worth it!!!! Can't wait myself to see and hear (wink) your setup. Very nice and thanks for the pics so far!!

(via 6SpeedOnline iOS)
I never thought I would buy exhaust tips, but your pics convinced me! I think I've said it before, but I see Fabspeed headers in your future I am curious to discover what is the next thing you'll do to your car. We seem to be, together with a few (?) others, infected with the same virus..

Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Well, sitting down and meditating a bit more tonight, I kind of realize that I ALWAYS drive with my PSE in loud mode (except for 5% of the time when my wife is in the car), so why am I so adamant about the fact that I need a 'switchable' system
Maybe I would give a try to a full Fabspeed system after all (not the race one without side mufflers though, but the center muffler bypass X-pipe + Maxflo side mufflers). I can always replace the center muffler bypass X-pipe by the Equivalent PSE part if I eventually want to... Aah, the agony of choice

Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
]I never thought I would buy exhaust tips, but your pics convinced me! I think I've said it before, but I see Fabspeed headers in your future I am curious to discover what is the next thing you'll do to your car. We seem to be, together with a few (?) others, infected with the same virus..
I love looking at the tips every time I'm behind the car, hehe. If it was cost per view smiles, then they are definitely worth it if someone likes that sort of thing.

We definitely have the same virus and I wish I had your track skills, that is amazing stuff you do. I want the headers badly but my wife made me promise to leave it alone for a few months

Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 PM
SujanPatel is infamous around these parts
Yes, the seats can be adjusted to your preference with the brackets (but they then get bolted in the right position). You will of course not get a Check Engine Light but the airbag sign will be on as the system won't get a response from your OEM seat airbags and weight sensors. Everything goes back to normal when you reinstall your stock seats.

You will of course need a rollbar to properly install the harness and I am not aware of any other product that the bbi rollbar for the 991 (a bit pricey but good quality).
Thanks SM_ATL. If I go the bucket seat route I'll definitely do a rollbar.

BTW did you notice a power increase with fabspeed headers/exhaust?

Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Big Mod today

Got painted key remote trim for only $60 on eBay. Surely a better deal than $335 (OK you get 2 of them) at the dealership or even $129 online. Not sure it is OEM-based, but fitment is perfect and color match too. I know it is an easy DIY, but at this price, it is almost cheaper than buying paint and clear coat spray cans...

Now the key color is different from the GT3RS Key strap, darn I'll have to find a new key ring...

On another note, there is now the option to get a 'faux aluminum' gas cap on the 911 car configurator. Looks the same as the one that was available for the 987/997 (but fitment is different).

I'd prefer true aluminum, but it looks already better than the tacky black plastic cap we get with our car. Hope Suncoast will have it available soon.

Attached Images    

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal