SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Love these thanks

(via 6SpeedOnline iOS)

Old 05-08-2013, 06:37 PM
ma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Big
I'd prefer true aluminum, but it looks already better than the tacky black plastic cap we get with our car. Hope Suncoast will have it available soon.
Here you go Serge:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99720198000.html

Old 05-08-2013, 06:37 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Nice find Serge! Thanks for the post.

ChuckJ

Old 05-08-2013, 06:45 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ma991
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, this is a 997- part number which means it is not the same size as the 981/991 (I had the same cap on my Cayman R and my GT3 and it would not fit on the 991 ).
I'll send an email to Ryan @ Suncoast to double check!

Old 05-08-2013, 06:48 PM
ma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, this is a 997- part number which means it is not the same size as the 981/991 (I had the same cap on my Cayman R and my GT3 and it would not fit on the 991 ).
I'll send an email to Ryan @ Suncoast to double check!
Duh, sorry I missed that.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Well, sitting down and meditating a bit more tonight, I kind of realize that I ALWAYS drive with my PSE in loud mode (except for 5% of the time when my wife is in the car), so why am I so adamant about the fact that I need a 'switchable' system
Maybe I would give a try to a full Fabspeed system after all (not the race one without side mufflers though, but the center muffler bypass X-pipe + Maxflo side mufflers). I can always replace the center muffler bypass X-pipe by the Equivalent PSE part if I eventually want to... Aah, the agony of choice
My thoughts exactly! The race exhaust is apparently VERY lound, but then again, I used to run a cat-less Eisenmann Race/Dinan x-pipe combo on my e92 M3. The fabspeed race exhaust sounds pretty fantastic in the video they have, and for around $2K that is a price that is hard to beat.

#firstclassproblems

Old 05-09-2013, 07:44 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
My thoughts exactly! The race exhaust is apparently VERY lound, but then again, I used to run a cat-less Eisenmann Race/Dinan x-pipe combo on my e92 M3. The fabspeed race exhaust sounds pretty fantastic in the video they have, and for around $2K that is a price that is hard to beat.

#firstclassproblems
I have been working on it since then and found something that might work with FVD. It is basically a race X-pipe (so the most aggressive option) BUT valved.

So with the valves closed it should sound close to stock (a bit louder as there will be no centre resonators), and with the valves open, it should be WOW

I should have it on the car in 2 weeks. I'll shoot before & after video's and sound recording (will try to find a sound meter too). Stay tuned...

Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
I have been working on it since then and found something that might work with FVD. It is basically a race X-pipe (so the most aggressive option) BUT valved.

So with the valves closed it should sound close to stock (a bit louder as there will be no centre resonators), and with the valves open, it should be WOW

I should have it on the car in 2 weeks. I'll shoot before & after video's and sound recording (will try to find a sound meter too). Stay tuned...
OHHHH, I like it. Would you mind sharing where you got it from and how much it was?

Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 AM
OHHHH, I like it. Would you mind sharing where you got it from and how much it was?
Directly from FVD USA (but will be built in Germany, which I know you will like ): http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99...th_Valves.html

Talk to Rhonda, she's very helpful, quick and thorough.

Last edited by SM_ATL; 05-09-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Directly from FVD USA (but will be built in Germany, which I know you will like ): http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99...th_Valves.html

Thank you very much! I was aware of the system, but I didn't know that you can get the x-pipe as a stand-alone unit. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2013, 09:28 AM

Just got this from FVD. Nice attention to details: vacuum lines are now heat wrapped so that it case the lines would come in contact with the exhaust (bad install, line getting loose after a few years...exhaust running super hot at the track), they would not be damaged. The exhaust can not be here soon enough

Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Just got this from FVD. Nice attention to details: vacuum lines are now heat wrapped so that it case the lines would come in contact with the exhaust (bad install, line getting loose after a few years...exhaust running super hot at the track), they would not be damaged. The exhaust can not be here soon enough

Done! I'm buying that x-pipe! Did you consider this system as well? http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99..._and_Tips.html

Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Done! I'm buying that x-pipe! Did you consider this system as well? http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99..._and_Tips.html
Yes I did. I spent a lot of time researching different options and vendors, and went for the valved X-pipe as I think it will offer the most extreme on/off contrast: side mufflers still in place for normal use vs. almost straight pipes in loud mode. I am also tempted to think that the power gain could be slightly better with the valved X-pipe, even though FVD claims the same conservative power gain for both exhausts. I also chose to go with FVD as it is a well established and reputable company.

As a side note, I personally do not believe that a 'simple' exhaust (without a tune) can achieve dramatic power gains and have a tendency to trust vendors who do not make unrealistic claims (see previous posts where some vendors claimed 20-50 hp gains ).

Old 05-09-2013, 11:03 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Big Mod today

Got painted key remote trim for only $60 on eBay. Surely a better deal than $335 (OK you get 2 of them) at the dealership or even $129 online. Not sure it is OEM-based, but fitment is perfect and color match too. I know it is an easy DIY, but at this price, it is almost cheaper than buying paint and clear coat spray cans...

Now the key color is different from the GT3RS Key strap, darn I'll have to find a new key ring...

On another note, there is now the option to get a 'faux aluminum' gas cap on the 911 car configurator. Looks the same as the one that was available for the 987/997 (but fitment is different).

I'd prefer true aluminum, but it looks already better than the tacky black plastic cap we get with our car. Hope Suncoast will have it available soon.
Thanks Serge for the heads up on the ebay key fob colors. Just got one in carbon fiber. No other bidders, so got it real cheap - $27. I am happy. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy

Thanks Serge for the heads up on the ebay key fob colors. Just got one in carbon fiber. No other bidders, so got it real cheap - $27. I am happy. Thanks!
Cool. Pease post a pic when you get it. I was thinking about CF for my other key.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal