SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Yes I did. I spent a lot of time researching different options and vendors, and went for the valved X-pipe as I think it will offer the most extreme on/off contrast: side mufflers still in place for normal use vs. almost straight pipes in loud mode. I am also tempted to think that the power gain could be slightly better with the valved X-pipe, even though FVD claims the same conservative power gain for both exhausts. I also chose to go with FVD as it is a well established and reputable company.

As a side note, I personally do not believe that a 'simple' exhaust (without a tune) can achieve dramatic power gains and have a tendency to trust vendors who do not make unrealistic claims (see previous posts where some vendors claimed 20-50 hp gains ).
Totally agree!

Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Deliveries of the day...

Got a delivery from Suncoast today.

First thing is a frunk liner. Convenient at the track and prevents oil and other stuff from soiling the frunk.

More exciting, the centre radiator has arrived too Will get on the car next Monday (heading to VIR later that week).

I also dropped by at the 'Shack' to buy a very basic sound meter. Getting ready to measure the sound of the current exhaust and future upgrades.

Attached Images    
Old 05-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Wow!! You're unstoppable ... Keep em coming. Would love to get feedback for centre radiator vs oem setup

Old 05-09-2013, 10:09 PM
khan is infamous around these parts
Red 911S

Adding a radiator will be big help as the car can use extra cooling power when driving hard.
[IMG]
991s long beach 2013 by khanpppk, on Flickr[/IMG]

Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2013, 12:29 AM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
Glad FVD took my feedback on heat shielding the lines, when my FVD exhaust arrived it had some fitment problem with the hose being too short and not heat shielded. My shop custom made me a new line and heat shielded everything.

Now to think of it Rhonda haven't send me a replacement for the hose yet

Just got this from FVD. Nice attention to details: vacuum lines are now heat wrapped so that it case the lines would come in contact with the exhaust (bad install, line getting loose after a few years...exhaust running super hot at the track), they would not be damaged. The exhaust can not be here soon enough

Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 AM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
I brought that exhaust setup, it sound AMAZING!!!! highly recommended, and with FVD fixing the issue I pointed out to them on the lines. It should be pretty perfect.

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Done! I'm buying that x-pipe! Did you consider this system as well? http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99..._and_Tips.html

Old 05-10-2013, 05:46 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
What has your oil temp been getting up to on the track Serge?

ChuckJ

Old 05-10-2013, 06:51 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
What has your oil temp been getting up to on the track Serge?

ChuckJ
Nothing dramatic so far. Somewhere north of 240F-250F I would say. Never in the red zone anyway. The centre radiator is a precaution for 'hot' sessions during the Summer when the ambient temperature may be above 100F. Better be safe than sorry and I do not want to have to do cool down laps in the middle of a session.

Also, it is a nice way to replace the dull piece of black plastic in our front bumpers (ok, this is really not a valid reason to do the mod, but it comes as a bonus!).

Old 05-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Great DIY project re center radiator! Watching

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-11-2013, 06:26 AM
ae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to behold
Nothing dramatic so far. Somewhere north of 240F-250F I would say. Never in the red zone anyway. The centre radiator is a precaution for 'hot' sessions during the Summer when the ambient temperature may be above 100F. Better be safe than sorry and I do not want to have to do cool down laps in the middle of a session.

Also, it is a nice way to replace the dull piece of black plastic in our front bumpers (ok, this is really not a valid reason to do the mod, but it comes as a bonus!).
Cannot wait to see how the center radiator looks... Definitely interested in that mod. I would have loved to come to VIR this week but I only have 500 miles on the baby, so maybe next time.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by ae911
Cannot wait to see how the center radiator looks... Definitely interested in that mod. I would have loved to come to VIR this week but I only have 500 miles on the baby, so maybe next time.
Would have been a great way to do an accelerated break in See you around a track another time!

Old 05-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Update on Carbon Fiber trim

Matt at oCarbon is making good progress on the CF trim. Getting close to completion. Here's a quick photo update:

Attached Images    
Old 05-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Carrera 4(S) side skirts

I must have been blind and missed it when reading articles about the Carrera 4 launch, but I only noticed sleek small skirts on nice pics of Fester's car this week. He told me they came standard with all C4(S)'s

I really thinks they add a nice touch to the 991. I'll check if they can be retrofitted on a C2(S). If someone knows the answer, please chime in!

Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Carrera 4(S) side skirts

I must have been blind and missed it when reading articles about the Carrera 4 launch, but I only noticed sleek small skirts on nice pics of Fester's car this week. He told me they came standard with all C4(S)'s

I really thinks they add a nice touch to the 991. I'll check if they can be retrofitted on a C2(S). If someone knows the answer, please chime in!
Thanks
These do add a nice touch to overall look of the car. I hope you find a solution for C2S...look forward to it!

Thought I should post the pics for the heck of it

Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Fester
Thanks
These do add a nice touch to overall look of the car. I hope you find a solution for C2S...look forward to it!

Thought I should post the pics for the heck of it
You did well! Your car looks super classy with the black plastic parts painted

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal