SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:01 PM
ae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Carrera 4(S) side skirts

I must have been blind and missed it when reading articles about the Carrera 4 launch, but I only noticed sleek small skirts on nice pics of Fester's car this week. He told me they came standard with all C4(S)'s

I really thinks they add a nice touch to the 991. I'll check if they can be retrofitted on a C2(S). If someone knows the answer, please chime in!
The side skirts are a great addition to be sure but I think the retrofit will be difficult because of the difference in width. Fester did a great job on the painting but with black you can get away with it, well until it ages of course

Old 05-11-2013, 05:21 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Cool. Pease post a pic when you get it. I was thinking about CF for my other key.
Well, got the carbon fiber remote key trim today. Looks great and simple to install. Thanks again Serge for the heads up! Sorry the pics are not great, but it is hard to to get the CF details without the proper lighting. PS - just noticed, after taking the pic, that the key is in the shape of the car. Never knew that until now. Sorry --- big duh!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0201.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	241778   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0203.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	241780   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0205.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	241782   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0208.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	241784  
Old 05-11-2013, 05:30 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Nice carbon pieces, Serge!

ChuckJ

Old 05-12-2013, 06:50 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Well, got the carbon fiber remote key trim today. Looks great and simple to install. Thanks again Serge for the heads up! Sorry the pics are not great, but it is hard to to get the CF details without the proper lighting. PS - just noticed, after taking the pic, that the key is in the shape of the car. Never knew that until now. Sorry --- big duh!!
Thanks for posting! I imagine that, given the size of the part, it is not actual CF, but it looks very good
Unfortunately Porsche has gone cheap: the car shaped key is the same for the 991, Panamera, Cayenne, etc. Maybe for they'll make a widebody key for the Turbo

Old 05-12-2013, 06:54 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Got a few pics from Matt under the sun...

Nice contrast, good weave alignment and OEM finish.

Attached Images    
Old 05-12-2013, 07:05 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Maybe for they'll make a widebody key for the Turbo
I am not sure they can make it any bigger and still fit in my pocket.

Marc

Old 05-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Tom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really nice
First track day with the 991s ... Gingerman is a tight and windy track ... car was a ton of fun. Still need to work on the alignment / camber ... didn't feel as planted as it should be...

Old 05-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tom 991s
First track day with the 991s ... Gingerman is a tight and windy track ... car was a ton of fun. Still need to work on the alignment / camber ... didn't feel as planted as it should be...
Thanks for sharing Tom. Nice to hear the car was a ton of fun. Looks like with the rev's staying up you should have enjoyed the kick from the X51. Also seems like you were not immune to the infamous buffeting issue.
I am surprised you did not feel the car as planted as it should be. I am not sure you have a lot of wiggle room for tweaking the camber and alignment with PDCC (or if the PDCC calibration would still be OK if you move away too far from the factory alignment). Anyway, it did not seem to slow you down

Only one question: what was the wear on the brakes and how did they hold up?

Keep us posted. Pics and videos are always welcome!

PS: where were all the other cars gone on your video ?? Also, the Recaro setup with the blue harness looks cool. One final piece of advice if you are using a Gopro (or another camera) in the cabin: try to set the light measurement to the centre point so that the view through your windshield is not too overexposed.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:24 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Great video. Did you rent the whole track to yourself? You look like you are going our for a sunday drive. nice and relaxed.

I will put video up later tonight. I spent half of my laps waiting for a point by. I am not complaining. Everyone (but one car) was great about giving the point by quickly.

Marc

Old 05-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by 998M
I spent half of my laps waiting for a point by
LOL. That's not unusual for the 991 and maybe a little frustrating because being passed is part of the fun too. Well, GTR's are still there for that (and soon the 991 GT3's and Turbo's).
It is in fact nice to see more and more 991's at the track!

Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Tom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really nice
Brakes are a real problem - I warped the stock rotors in that one day ... despite ambient temperature around 60F and being pretty careful on cool down laps.
Also, the stock brakes don't exactly inspire confidence ... got soft when they got hot, despite running RBF600 fluid. Stock pads are almost gone after the one day.

I now have the 15" Brembo BBK for the fronts on order...not sure if I need the rears also (?). Planning on running Pagid RS29 on the BBK in the front and on the stock brakes in the rear. Let's see if that makes an improvement. Unfortunately parts won't come in for the next track day this Sat. Would be nice to figure out some ducting for brake cooling ...

On camber, Ryan from Suncoast recommended -1.5 for the front, and -1.66 for the rears. Checking back with him whether that holds with PDCC also. I've never had the car aligned with the 19" rims & R888s, maybe it's just off. I'm also running 5mm spacers in the front, but not the rear given that the 19" oz rear wheels have 5mm lower offset than the stock 20" wheels.

BTW - the R888 seemed to like pressures below 40 much better (as you had recommended)...actually needed to keep below 38 psi. That meant that after colldown over lunch, I started back out at 26psi ... but was actually not a problem, and they got up to temp within a few laps

The engine with the X51 did run great - pulls strong right into the limiter ... no complaints here!
And yes, the buffeting was very clear ... I wish someone made the mirror mount piece that you suggested ...

Great suggestion on the GoPro ... was wondering how to get rid of the overexposure...Thank you!

Thanks for sharing Tom. Nice to hear the car was a ton of fun. Looks like with the rev's staying up you should have enjoyed the kick from the X51. Also seems like you were not immune to the infamous buffeting issue.
I am surprised you did not feel the car as planted as it should be. I am not sure you have a lot of wiggle room for tweaking the camber and alignment with PDCC (or if the PDCC calibration would still be OK if you move away too far from the factory alignment). Anyway, it did not seem to slow you down

Only one question: what was the wear on the brakes and how did they hold up?

Keep us posted. Pics and videos are always welcome!

PS: where were all the other cars gone on your video ?? Also, the Recaro setup with the blue harness looks cool. One final piece of advice if you are using a Gopro (or another camera) in the cabin: try to set the light measurement to the centre point so that the view through your windshield is not too overexposed.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Looks definitely more relaxed on the vid than I felt ... still, lot's of potential to go faster

A colleague of mine who's a serious racer actually rented out the track, so we just had a few fully set up trans-am race cars and me ... I had to do most of the pointing by this time around ... But pretty much had open track all the time.

Great video. Did you rent the whole track to yourself? You look like you are going our for a sunday drive. nice and relaxed.

I will put video up later tonight. I spent half of my laps waiting for a point by. I am not complaining. Everyone (but one car) was great about giving the point by quickly.

Marc

Old 05-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Tom 991s
Looks definitely more relaxed on the vid than I felt ... still, lot's of potential to go faster

A colleague of mine who's a serious racer actually rented out the track, so we just had a few fully set up trans-am race cars and me ... I had to do most of the pointing by this time around ... But pretty much had open track all the time.
Don't feel too bad. I was running a Miata on Sat with GT3 cup cars. Their closing rate at the end of the straight was almost 85 mph! They cannot even see your point by.

Marc

Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Can't even imagine ... sounds like fun though!

Don't feel too bad. I was running a Miata on Sat with GT3 cup cars. Their closing rate at the end of the straight was almost 85 mph! They cannot even see your point by.

Marc

Old 05-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Couple of pictures....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gingerman morning.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	242185  
Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal