SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:58 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
The lesson is to invest in instruction and save huge amounts of $$ on car mods.
Agreed, but only in part. Safety equipment, brakes, tires and suspension improvements are very valid mods for the track. True though that nothing can replace instruction and seat time. That's why the Civic was faster than more powerful cars.

As far as I am concerned, you will have noticed for a while that I have the mod bug Can not resist, it is my vice, it does not make my car go faster, but it makes me love it even more...

Old 05-21-2013, 05:37 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Agreed, but only in part. Safety equipment, brakes, tires and suspension improvements are very valid mods for the track. True though that nothing can replace instruction and seat time. That's why the Civic was faster than more powerful cars.

As far as I am concerned, you will have noticed for a while that I have the mod bug Can not resist, it is my vice, it does not make my car go faster, but it makes me love it even more...
I meant at first. You, sir are not at first!!!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:20 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
What is "fast"?

A number of recent threads and posts have gone into the downspiral of non sense about the hp of our favorite cars: the base Carrera is 'underpowered', the Carrera S is slow and you must go for a Turbo, etc.

I enjoy hp and torque and, yes, the kick in the butt you get from a GTR, Corvette or Turbo can be fun. This being said, what use are we making of all this power and do we really need it to be good drivers or go fast ?

I have seen a prime example at the track this week end: a young dude was there in a 1995 Honda Civic (slightly modified but nothing over the top) and was truly hauling @ss. I have put this short video together to show how a driver skills matter so much more than his car or engine. You will see the little FWD Civic passing 911's and an M3.

So, the next time red light racers are explaining that there is no life under 500hp, I would advise them to buy a $3k Civic with less than 200hp and get some practice first

Here's to the young guy in his Civic!
Thanks for the video.
Obviously that driver was very good Surge, but it's hard to believe that was a 150 HP car with 185 tires and standard brakes. Do you know what he has done to it?

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 05-21-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:35 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Thanks for the video.
Obviously that driver was very good Surge, but it's hard to believe that was a 150 HP car with 185 tires and standard brakes. Do you know what he has done to it?

ChuckJ
We talked briefly and I think he told me that the car was down to ~2,000lbs and that the engine had ~200hp (not to bad in terms of power to weight). From what I have seen he was running a stiffer/lower suspension and slicks. I imagine he went for a brake upgrade too, but he does not have a lot of mass to stop.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Wow, your videos DO NOT DISAPPOINT! Well done sir.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:48 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Wow, your videos DO NOT DISAPPOINT! Well done sir.
Neither does his driving, IMHO.

ChuckJ

Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 PM
ae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to behold
What is "fast"?
Well said!!!

Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 PM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
Nice vid and great driving! VIR looks pretty fun track, too bad I sold my other Pcar when I was living in east coast

Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Love the videos! Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-22-2013, 08:14 AM
ma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura about
Wow! Awesome car and driving.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:50 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Thanks for the video.

ChuckJ
It is all about power to weigh and tires. On tight tracks with short straights, spec miatas can stay pretty close to 911s. Significantly faster cornering and braking. Slow out and down the straight.

Marc

Old 05-22-2013, 10:51 AM
conekilr is infamous around these parts
Serge how easy is it to operate the sports chrono for lap timing when you are driving ?? How does it know where the lap starts ?? I'm assuming this is all GPS based ??

I'm considering getting sports chrono but have not been able to find any info on how is actually does the lap timing and track drawing in conjunction with PCM...

Cheers

Old 05-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by conekilr
Serge how easy is it to operate the sports chrono for lap timing when you are driving ?? How does it know where the lap starts ?? I'm assuming this is all GPS based ??

I'm considering getting sports chrono but have not been able to find any info on how is actually does the lap timing and track drawing in conjunction with PCM...

Cheers
Well, the 'chrono' part of the 'sport chrono' package isn't really worth it to be honest. As usual, Porsche electronics a one or two generations behind. In brief it means that the PCM uses the GPS to draw the track map on the screen (if you activate the 'advanced' sport display function on the PCM), but that's it. You have to manually pull one of the steering wheel levers when you cross the start/finish line so that the PCM knows that you started a new lap

Not such a big deal when you are at VIR in straight line (still not super accurate though), but far from ideal/safe, when you should rather stay focused exiting turn 12 at Road Atlanta.

Even though I use the Porsche 'chrono' (to record data from the OBD), I rely on Harry's Laptimer Pro on my iPhone for my lap times. I have invested in a small Emprun GPS dongle to make the app more accurate (position and speed). the app has a database of most tracks and automatically knows when you cross the line

Porsche's subpar multimedia electronics is really the one thing I do not like about my car (message/emails not working properly with an iPhone, aHa not working over BT for the iPhone, Chrono not recognizing finish line, traffic based on crappy SiriusXM service, PCM Jukebox super sluggish, etc.).

Besides this, the 'Sport' side of the 'sport chrono' package is worth every penny...

Old 05-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Near miss

Just got additional footage from last week end (from the 'blue Civic' driver in fact). This made me a little scared in retrospect.

Going a bit sideways around the Oak Tree, I had not realized that the BMW E30 that was following me was so close

Like someone said, if you track it, be ready to wreck it...

Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2013, 01:32 PM
conekilr is infamous around these parts
Well, the 'chrono' part of the 'sport chrono' package isn't really worth it to be honest. As usual, Porsche electronics a one or two generations behind. In brief it means that the PCM uses the GPS to draw the track map on the screen (if you activate the 'advanced' sport display function on the PCM), but that's it. You have to manually pull one of the steering wheel levers when you cross the start/finish line so that the PCM knows that you started a new lap

Not such a big deal when you are at VIR in straight line (still not super accurate though), but far from ideal/safe, when you should rather stay focused exiting turn 12 at Road Atlanta.

Even though I use the Porsche 'chrono' (to record data from the OBD), I rely on Harry's Laptimer Pro on my iPhone for my lap times. I have invested in a small Emprun GPS dongle to make the app more accurate (position and speed). the app has a database of most tracks and automatically knows when you cross the line

Porsche's subpar multimedia electronics is really the one thing I do not like about my car (message/emails not working properly with an iPhone, aHa not working over BT for the iPhone, Chrono not recognizing finish line, traffic based on crappy SiriusXM service, PCM Jukebox super sluggish, etc.).

Besides this, the 'Sport' side of the 'sport chrono' package is worth every penny...
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll be getting a Solo DL.

Cheers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal