SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:31 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by handfull
Nice Serge! How about if Freed performance made me some of those grills.... I'm serious.
Freed performance is actually working on it (as well as the design for the standard bumper) and he'll have something online soon. In the meantime PM me and I'll put you in contact - I am not associated with his business but he is doing a great job so I do not mind helping -

There is also something else he is working on that he'll try to have ready to be tested at Road Atlanta next week end (6/1)...

Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
First VIR video's

The good: 2'17" on street tires is a good start. With a bit more practice and R-compound tires, 2'10" should be achievable...

http://youtu.be/vGJ3AKYOl4g

The bad: the most embarrassing moments of the week end

http://youtu.be/uUHDLC69-NU
Great video and my complements to the pit crew! It sounds like the buffeting is still a problem. Would popping the back of the roof help? Would the track allow it?

As for the Honda, my buddy has an old Boxter(pre-2004) and he has become a great driver. He routinely beats 997s of all types around the track. He beats me too, but that is not setting a very high standard. I have much more car than I have skill or experience. He is a great example of how driving skill is every bit as important as what you drive.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:23 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
Great video and my complements to the pit crew! It sounds like the buffeting is still a problem. Would popping the back of the roof help? Would the track allow it?
Thanks. Buffeting is still a big problem. Popping the back of the roof can help a little (but not a whole lot), but it will not be allowed at most DE's. I did it once and got black flagged immediately. This was ludicrous because it did not increase risks in any way, but rules are what they are. Rolling up one of the windows by a couple of inches is more effective, but again I have been asked to roll the windows completely down 99% of the time.

As hinted in the previous post, Freed Performance is working on a couple of options and we hope to be able to test them on the track soon.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:57 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
What is "fast"?

A number of recent threads and posts have gone into the downspiral of non sense about the hp of our favorite cars: the base Carrera is 'underpowered', the Carrera S is slow and you must go for a Turbo, etc.

I enjoy hp and torque and, yes, the kick in the butt you get from a GTR, Corvette or Turbo can be fun. This being said, what use are we making of all this power and do we really need it to be good drivers or go fast ?

I have seen a prime example at the track this week end: a younger driver was there in a 1995 Honda Civic (slightly modified but nothing over the top) and was truly hauling @ss. I have put this short video together to show how a driver skills matter so much more than his car or engine. You will see the little FWD Civic passing 911's and an M3.

So, the next time red light racers are explaining that there is no life under 500hp, I would advise them to buy a $3k Civic with less than 200hp and get some practice first

Here's to the young guy in his Civic!

http://youtu.be/jwtPUeK2q3A

Love the video, Serge, and the outtake reel is icing on the cake.

And being the owner of another s-l-o-w 991S, I got a real kick out of your "reality" post.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks Eric...

Completed last week and delivered by my son at the track last week end, painted reflectors from Eric @ Bumperplugs.

One may argue that it was not really necessary on a Guards red car, but I still like it better than with the red reflectors...

Attached Images   
Old 05-24-2013, 12:09 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
They actually do look better than the reflectors on the red. Nice mod.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Wanted to try a new wine tonight...

Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Ha!!

Where's the Track Out Cabernet?

Old 05-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Carbon Fiber trim complete and delivered

Received the CF Trim from oCarbon. Quality and finish seem as good as OEM. Here are a few final pics taken before shipment.

Attached Images       
Old 05-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
No complaints here. Those came out very good, very smooth, and very very clean!!

Good for you!

Old 05-25-2013, 04:46 PM
carcam is infamous around these parts
Love your VIR videos, Serge (and your car, of course)! Walter Rohrl in the blue Civic ain't a bad driver either My last time out (it's been a while), a Boxster and 944 turbo was beating everybody. I'd love to see you in a '14 GT3.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:32 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Dueling neighbors, Serge and Ole at battle yesterday at Peachstate PCA DE, Road ATL

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	#91-Serge Martin - 83-06-01-2013.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	247883  
Old 06-02-2013, 08:54 AM
You are the man David! Thanks a lot for the nice pic!!!
Serge

Old 06-02-2013, 03:29 PM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by windboat
Dueling neighbors, Serge and Ole at battle yesterday at Peachstate PCA DE, Road ATL
The hunt for the Red Baron

Thanks for the pics David, they are awesome!

Old 06-03-2013, 01:18 PM
PCA DE at Road Atlanta

Just spent the week end at a DE organized by PCA.

I came back with very mixed feelings. Road Atlanta is a fine track and there was a nice crowd of P-car enthusiasts, but it is probably the first and last time I go there with PCA. There is significantly less seat time than with other clubs, all run groups were too crowded and, sorry if I sound harsh, PCA are bigger nannies than any other club (tech inspection, run group assignments and sign offs, no passenger, no student in instructor cars, etc.).
BMW CCA (2 times a year @ Road A) offers more seat time and has less uselessly stringent rules without being less safe. Chin Motorsports is at Road A every month, offers a LOT more seat time and is extremely well organized. I'll stick to these two for the future.

This does not mean we did not have fun of course I was there with Opnielsen and another friend and we had the opportunity to meet David/Windboat who took awesome pics of our cars. Here are a few of his pics:

More pictures and video's to follow...

Attached Images      

Last edited by SM_ATL; 06-03-2013 at 01:20 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal