SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:37 AM
aljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud of
Great pics,

any updates regarding the carbon trim? I am interested in seeing how it will look

Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Just spent the week end at a DE organized by PCA.

I came back with very mixed feelings. Road Atlanta is a fine track and there was a nice crowd of P-car enthusiasts, but it is probably the first and last time I go there with PCA. There is significantly less seat time than with other clubs, all run groups were too crowded and, sorry if I sound harsh, PCA are bigger nannies than any other club (tech inspection, run group assignments and sign offs, no passenger, no student in instructor cars, etc.).
BMW CCA (2 times a year @ Road A) offers more seat time and has less uselessly stringent rules without being less safe. Chin Motorsports is at Road A every month, offers a LOT more seat time and is extremely well organized. I'll stick to these two for the future.

This does not mean we did not have fun of course I was there with Opnielsen and another friend and we had the opportunity to meet David/Windboat who took awesome pics of our cars. Here are a few of his pics:

More pictures and video's to follow...
Agreed. PCA can be stuffy. I do get more seat time from other track days. The Milwaukee PCA is very strict about passing and on track etiquette. Which sometimes I like. I have run in groups with very fast cars. I am very aware of them behind me and am quick to give a point by. But some feel as if they need to park 4 inches off my bumper on trackout to let me know they are there. I have run with other groups with no issues but have seen some tolerance for some aggressive passing.

Serge,

Great pics as always. One question. I have yet to run in a group that allows passengers other than instructors. It is the only reason I am an instructor (aside from cheaper and more track time). Which group allows passengers?

Thanks

Marc

PS. Headed to Road America with GT Track time on Monday and Tuesday. I am having the stainless steel brake lines added today. I am just looking for a little more confidence when braking.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 998M
Agreed. PCA can be stuffy. I do get more seat time from other track days. The Milwaukee PCA is very strict about passing and on track etiquette. Which sometimes I like. I have run in groups with very fast cars. I am very aware of them behind me and am quick to give a point by. But some feel as if they need to park 4 inches off my bumper on trackout to let me know they are there. I have run with other groups with no issues but have seen some tolerance for some aggressive passing.

Serge,

Great pics as always. One question. I have yet to run in a group that allows passengers other than instructors. It is the only reason I am an instructor (aside from cheaper and more track time). Which group allows passengers?

Thanks

Marc

PS. Headed to Road America with GT Track time on Monday and Tuesday. I am having the stainless steel brake lines added today. I am just looking for a little more confidence when braking.
Thanks Marc.

As far as groups who allow passengers for non-instructors, here's my personal experience:
  • Rezoom: OK (but active in the Southeast only)
  • Chin Motorsports: OK
  • Hooked on Driving: OK in the afternoon
  • BMW CCA: most times OK

Old 06-05-2013, 07:45 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
I posted this in a separate thread already but would like to keep my 'journal' complete for future generations

I am currently running R888's at the track, and, in case of rain, I try to get someone to bring me a set of street tires (I do not have a trailer and do not wish to get one). Not such luck at Road Atlanta last Sunday where Storm started in the middle of my session. Since I had no street tires anyhow, I thought I might as well stay on the R888's as long as I could drive with reasonable confidence.

The fact is, I almost run out of luck as you can see on this video:

When I got back on the gas after turn 7, trying to look for a trajectory ouside of the dry line, the car started to hydroplane, sliding slowly towards the concrete wall. I really thought "Now that's it, my first crash on the track ). With 2 wheels on the grass, I did not brake or give gas but slowly corrected my trajectory as the car seemed to regain (a tiny bit of) grip.

In brief, and now that I have experienced the limits myself, if the track is more than slightly wet, I will go back to my Michelin PSS set.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Have not posted in a while... been too busy driving the car
We had a great Sunday with fellow 6speeders driving in the Mountains.
Here are a few more shots I am posting on this thread (wanted to keep a trace of our trip in the Journal):

Attached Images     
Old 06-13-2013, 08:02 PM
ae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to behold
Looking good mate!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:08 PM
allans is infamous around these parts
Serge, Who's car is in back of you with the "nose ring" ? I wonder if it's ever been used? lol allan

Old 06-13-2013, 09:33 PM
GoreX5 is infamous around these parts
Very nice Serge...car looks awesome! Sorry I missed the trip this time but look forward to doing it in the future.

Cheers!
Waseem

Old 06-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Serge, the first shot is amazing! I always wonder who takes these shots for you? Is this premeditated setup or just random exercise?!

Old 06-14-2013, 05:27 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Fester, the pics were taken by outfits like 129slayer.com who position themselves at specific locations on the road then post them online for sale. Most of the time you are unaware where they are until the final moments.

It was a very nice drive with Serge and opnielsen demonstrating great driving skills. Serge's car is simply stunning.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Haku
Fester, the pics were taken by outfits like 129slayer.com who position themselves at specific locations on the road then post them online for sale. Most of the time you are unaware where they are until the final moments.

It was a very nice drive with Serge and opnielsen demonstrating great driving skills. Serge's car is simply stunning.
We have outfits that do that here in NJ as well - most of them are police and the pictures will cost you, but they are not good and not on sale!

Great shots and Serge, from a distance, the car looks awesome!

Old 06-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
AG991, is your username based on your initials or the periodic table? If the latter, it should be AU991. Just sayin'...

Old 06-14-2013, 07:20 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Those are indeed great photos.

The Sport Techno wheels are really growing on me when I see them on your car.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Great photos. Thanks for sharing, Serge!

Old 06-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
We have outfits that do that here in NJ as well - most of them are police and the pictures will cost you, but they are not good and not on sale!

Great shots and Serge, from a distance, the car looks awesome!

Hehehe.... We have those creative types here as well... But more the likes of Boss Hog and Rosco!

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal