just test drove a 991s...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:09 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
I think the same way UNTIL I'm at a cars and coffee and one pulls up.
The Ferrari certainly holds the upper hand in pose value..

Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
I love my Porsches, but being a car enthusiast, I've sometimes wondered if an exotic like a Ferrari or Lambo would take things to another level, at least in terms of subjective enjoyment. I started a thread on that topic, and no consensus was reached, but the majority of people felt that the exotics are different, but on about the same level rather than significantly better (though the thread was in the 997 section, so bias is likely). Reading these comments about the 458 reinforces the thought that I should be content with Porsches and not let my eyes wander, but then there's this:

Old 02-13-2012, 06:51 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
I love my Porsches, but being a car enthusiast, I've sometimes wondered if an exotic like a Ferrari or Lambo would take things to another level, at least in terms of subjective enjoyment. I started a thread on that topic, and no consensus was reached, but the majority of people felt that the exotics are different, but on about the same level rather than significantly better (though the thread was in the 997 section, so bias is likely). Reading these comments about the 458 reinforces the thought that I should be content with Porsches and not let my eyes wander, but then there's this:

thanks manifold..sure does drive, accelerate, steer and handle like an overpriced piece of metal in that video.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:08 AM
droppedclutch is infamous around these partsdroppedclutch is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
thanks manifold..sure does drive, accelerate, steer and handle like an overpriced piece of metal in that video.
Haha, despite my complaints, the 458 isn't all bad. It's fast for sure, and handles quite poorly if you're trying to go fast, but excellently if you're trying to have fun (this is probably why the MP4-12C can beat it on a track).

One noticeable difference is that with any Porsche, even the Turbo, you get used to the acceleration after a while, and you eventually feel comfortable with flooring it. This could also be due to the 4wd. With the 458, you NEVER get "comfortable" with the speed, and every time you go to floor it in a low gear, there is that moment of hesitancy in your head that says "I'm a little scared." Then you do, and you realize that thought was fully justified.

One thing Porsche could improve on is the "slideability" of the car. If you're skilled, you can do it pretty safely, but if you're not skilled enough, you'd be a bit nervous doing it on a public road.

The Ferrari on the other hand, in sport mode or race mode, you literally can floor it blindly as you turn at lower speeds and the computer will do EVERYTHING else for you - braking, throttle modulation, etc. All you need to do is point it in the right direction and the backend will drift wide, and snap back into the place as if you were a pro driver.

I haven't driven the 991S in sport plus mode, but if they manage to throw something in to cover that, that would be quite epic.

For those of you thinking this complaint is only one that could be made from an unskilled driver, I will admit I would consider myself of that ilk:P

Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by droppedclutch
The Ferrari on the other hand, in sport mode or race mode, you literally can floor it blindly as you turn at lower speeds and the computer will do EVERYTHING else for you - braking, throttle modulation, etc. All you need to do is point it in the right direction and the backend will drift wide, and snap back into the place as if you were a pro driver.
Wow, I didn't realize the 458 is so computer-aided. Gorgeous car, but doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:25 AM
droppedclutch is infamous around these partsdroppedclutch is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Manifold
Wow, I didn't realize the 458 is so computer-aided. Gorgeous car, but doesn't sound like my cup of tea.
Well, you can always turn it off, but it doesn't really kick in until you actually get yourself in trouble, so there's no real point in turning it off since, assuming you did it right, it would never kick in.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Well, you can always turn it off, but it doesn't really kick in until you actually get yourself in trouble, so there's no real point in turning it off since, assuming you did it right, it would never kick in.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Droppedclutch,

Your impressions of the 991 are interesting (as are those regarding the 458). I haven't driven the 991 yet, but I did spend a long time looking at it. I agree that the quality is a big step up from the 997's, but to say that it trumps a current Aston's interior quality is, IMO, not even close to true. The 991 still uses a lot of plastic -- very nice, quality plastic, but plastic nonetheless -- for many, many things that are metal in an Aston. Look at the instruments, all the controls in the center stack, the quality of the leather, the stitching, the carpets, even the sunvisors. There is no fake "metal-look" plastic in an Aston. The 991 is very nicely done, but an Aston's interior is still in a league above.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:04 PM
cayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant future
The interior of the car feels substantially upgraded as well. The 997.2's interior was excellent, but still had elements of plasticy switch-gear and some faux leather surfaces that simply felt cheap. Not as bad as MB's SL class (sorry if I offended anybody, purely subjective), but still not at the level of, say, a modern Aston Martin. The new car's interior replaces all of those cheap bits of its predecessor and I would say it trumps that of the current generation Aston Martins. AM will have to really step up its game in the next generation to have any chance against Porsche.
I just checked out the new SL for 2013, and it's quite cool... and it's both coupe & cabriolet...

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/innova...e-FutureModels

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/innova...ehicleclass-SL

Old 02-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Speedraser
Droppedclutch,

Your impressions of the 991 are interesting (as are those regarding the 458). I haven't driven the 991 yet, but I did spend a long time looking at it. I agree that the quality is a big step up from the 997's, but to say that it trumps a current Aston's interior quality is, IMO, not even close to true. The 991 still uses a lot of plastic -- very nice, quality plastic, but plastic nonetheless -- for many, many things that are metal in an Aston. Look at the instruments, all the controls in the center stack, the quality of the leather, the stitching, the carpets, even the sunvisors. There is no fake "metal-look" plastic in an Aston. The 991 is very nicely done, but an Aston's interior is still in a league above.
Agreed. There is still a lot of faux metal in the 991. Not complaining, but I think it would be erroneous to say that the interior of the 991 trumps any Aston's interior. The Aston dials alone out class the interior of the 991 (jmo).

And I have never really been a Ferrari fan (don't hate on me ). Yes, they sound better than most porsches and have way more panache than your average carrera. But I just cannot get the bad aftertaste out of my mouth after finding out that Ferrari cheats in order to get those fast numbers. It just rubs me the wrong way and anything they say just doesn't hold any water with me. I just wouldn't be able to bring myself to buy something that expensive from such a blatantly unscrupulous company that will do anything to win...it reminds me of students who abuse adderall in school...smh

Okay. I am getting off my soap box now.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Inglorious
Agreed. There is still a lot of faux metal in the 991. Not complaining, but I think it would be erroneous to say that the interior of the 991 trumps any Aston's interior. The Aston dials alone out class the interior of the 991 (jmo).
As mentioned before, purely subjective, but having had a 2009 V8 Vantage for some time, all those metal looking dials are actually plastic. Not to mention that if you drive in cold weather and leave the car parked outside for too long, the dials can fall off.

I'm going to stick to my guns on this, I do think the new 991 interior is on par with or even exceeds that of the current generation Astons.

As for the SL, I was referring to the present SL class, less so the ones that have the interior from the SLS.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
As mentioned before, purely subjective, but having had a 2009 V8 Vantage for some time, all those metal looking dials are actually plastic. Not to mention that if you drive in cold weather and leave the car parked outside for too long, the dials can fall off.

I'm going to stick to my guns on this, I do think the new 991 interior is on par with or even exceeds that of the current generation Astons.

As for the SL, I was referring to the present SL class, less so the ones that have the interior from the SLS.
You're on the money. AM trim is very nice but it's a completely different look to a Porsche so to to say one is better becomes subjective as both are of a high quality. It comes down to preference of design and for me i'd take the 991 trim look over any Aston all day every day. And hearing about dash trims falling off. British build verse German, i think it goes without saying which one is going to stay together longer.....no offense to the Brits as the AM is a very stylish fashionable motor vehicle indeed.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of

I have an '09 V8 Vantage, and "all those metal looking dials" are actually METAL. Also, you are the first person I've ever heard mention anything about the controls falling off. It certainly hasn't happened to my car.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by speed21
And hearing about dash trims falling off. British build verse German, i think it goes without saying which one is going to stay together longer.....no offense to the Brits as the AM is a very stylish fashionable motor vehicle indeed.
I'm very active in the Aston club and on the various Aston forums, and never before have I heard of a report of "dash trims" falling off. The interior quality of my Aston is truly superb. It used to go without saying that German build quality was superior to British, no question. However, German build quality isn't always what it used to be -- the 996 is proof of that, and the 997 was better, but not as good as it should be. Look what happened to Mercedes build quality in the late '90s and for a good 10 years after. Moreover, British build quality is vastly better than it used to be in many cases -- the build quality of the Aston is one of the things I love about it.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:06 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Not to mention that if you drive in cold weather and leave the car parked outside for too long, the dials can fall off.
Wow, I have never heard of this happening in an Aston or any other car. This is a first for me and I can't imagine how that could even happen. Horror stories like these keep me out of an Aston at least until the next gen of vantages come out. I hear so many stories of Astons falling apart. And videos like this doesn't help either :

Originally Posted by speed21
You're on the money. AM trim is very nice but it's a completely different look to a Porsche so to to say one is better becomes subjective as both are of a high quality. It comes down to preference of design and for me i'd take the 991 trim look over any Aston all day every day. And hearing about dash trims falling off. British build verse German, i think it goes without saying which one is going to stay together longer.....no offense to the Brits as the AM is a very stylish fashionable motor vehicle indeed.
You are right. It does come down to preference. We are talking about looks, which are very subjective by their very nature.

Originally Posted by Speedraser
I'm very active in the Aston club and on the various Aston forums, and never before have I heard of a report of "dash trims" falling off. The interior quality of my Aston is truly superb. It used to go without saying that German build quality was superior to British, no question. However, German build quality isn't always what it used to be -- the 996 is proof of that, and the 997 was better, but not as good as it should be. Look what happened to Mercedes build quality in the late '90s and for a good 10 years after. Moreover, British build quality is vastly better than it used to be in many cases -- the build quality of the Aston is one of the things I love about it.
I hope the build quality continually improves. I am rooting for Aston. I think they make some of the most beautiful cars money can buy and I hope to own one one day when they iron out enough kinks that I would be comfortable enough to buy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: just test drove a 991s...