just test drove a 991s...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 04:06 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Inglorious
Wow, I have never heard of this happening in an Aston or any other car. This is a first for me and I can't imagine how that could even happen. Horror stories like these keep me out of an Aston at least until the next gen of vantages come out. I hear so many stories of Astons falling apart. And videos like this doesn't help either :

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1AHFz_muJg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1AHFz_muJg[/ur

I hope the build quality continually improves. I am rooting for Aston. I think they make some of the most beautiful cars money can buy and I hope to own one one day when they iron out enough kinks that I would be comfortable enough to buy.
Its hard to deny that is one very very very beautiful looking car. I think as far as reliability goes i have heard of some horror stories where Astons are concerned, but that said Porsche is no cleanskin either, although the stories aren't nearly as horrible. Perhaps the OP can elaborate on the dash rings and what was done to correct the particular problem? I trust he didn't just superglue them back on?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:43 AM
droppedclutch is infamous around these partsdroppedclutch is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Speedraser
I'm very active in the Aston club and on the various Aston forums, and never before have I heard of a report of "dash trims" falling off. The interior quality of my Aston is truly superb. It used to go without saying that German build quality was superior to British, no question. However, German build quality isn't always what it used to be -- the 996 is proof of that, and the 997 was better, but not as good as it should be. Look what happened to Mercedes build quality in the late '90s and for a good 10 years after. Moreover, British build quality is vastly better than it used to be in many cases -- the build quality of the Aston is one of the things I love about it.
I would actually agree with the german build quality bit. My 997.2 Targa 4 burned oil like no other (1 qt/600 miles), and the Porsche dealership refused to look into it, claiming it was within "Porsche approved limits." I was pissed, considering I had to fill my car with oil every other time I visited the gas station, and finally pushed them to run a test of oil consumption. After a 2 week long, 1500 mile test, they still claimed this was "normal." I pushed them to look at the engine, and they found out one of the cylinders was cracked and leaking air. Ended up having to replace the whole engine. Since then, it's been 4000 break in miles on the new engine, not a single drop in oil level. Note, I bought this car brand new from the dealership, no accidents, not been tracked, nothing.

As for the Aston dials, I will admit, to get this to happen I had to park it outside in Tahoe in the snow overnight. I'd imagine not many Aston owners do this, but I've parked my Targa out in the snow overnight before and its dials didn't fall off.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 AM
droppedclutch is infamous around these partsdroppedclutch is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by speed21
Its hard to deny that is one very very very beautiful looking car. I think as far as reliability goes i have heard of some horror stories where Astons are concerned, but that said Porsche is no cleanskin either, although the stories aren't nearly as horrible. Perhaps the OP can elaborate on the dash rings and what was done to correct the particular problem? I trust he didn't just superglue them back on?
I didn't superglue them on, the dealer did:P Literally, there was glue involved...

Apparently the low temperature had caused some internal plastic part to contract enough to detach it from the bit that holds the dial in place. When I fiddled with it in the morning, it hadn't warmed back up/expanded yet and it just came off in my hand.

Considering I go to tahoe a lot, this has happened with other cars (roof open/close rocker on the Targa for one) so it's not a huge ding on AM, but it doesn't make me feel like it's substantially better than anybody else either.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:52 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
...I am rooting for Aston. I think they make some of the most beautiful cars money can buy and I hope to own one one day when they iron out enough kinks that I would be comfortable enough to buy.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Jasper,

That is nothing but irrefutable proof of a conspiracy. Astons's CEO, ex-Porsche engineer Ulrich Bez, is deliberately attempting to sabotage Aston Martin -- there can be no other reason for such an utter atrocity.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Obviously, dials shouldn't fall off of any car, but thank you, droppedclutch, for clarifying the circumstances under which the dial came off. FWIW, I live in the New York area, and while I have never driven my V8 Vantage in the salt (nor my 993), it has been out in bitterly cold weather numerous times, and nothing has fallen off. On some of the Aston forums there are a couple of Aston owners from Scandinavia (where the temp has been known to get pretty low from time to time ) who, to the best of my knowledge, have never reported this problem either.

As far as horror stories are concerned, I have to say that I’d greatly prefer the risk of an occasional electrical glitch or door lock module failure on an Aston to the intermediate shaft failure and consequent catastrophically grenading M96 and M97 Porsche engines, along with the porous and/or structural engine block issues and failures, not to mention oval rear main seals. As a long-term Porsche fan and owner, I have to say Porsche should be severely embarrassed by these things. I know that most M96/97 engines won’t go BANG, but far too many of them have, and will. Hopefully, the new engine (997.2 - on) will prove to be a lot more worthy. I wonder if it will be raced, now that the Metzger engine is no more.

For anyone concerned about the reliability or durability of the current generation Astons, have a look at the AMOC forum and the Pistonheads forum – there is a lot of information there about the good and the bad. Overall, I think you’ll find that the vast majority have had excellent service from our Astons, and many are used daily in all kinds of weather. My car has been nearly flawless so far after almost 2.5 years, and the build quality appears to be truly superb.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:49 PM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
Great Vid

Manifold: I suggest your Porsche would make this stretch of road, with no traffic, a great bit of fun as well. We have to look for the opportunities to release the beast.

Originally Posted by Manifold
Reading these comments about the 458 reinforces the thought that I should be content with Porsches and not let my eyes wander, but then there's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTurbScHcqY

Old 02-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Speedraser
Obviously, dials shouldn't fall off of any car, but thank you, droppedclutch, for clarifying the circumstances under which the dial came off. FWIW, I live in the New York area, and while I have never driven my V8 Vantage in the salt (nor my 993), it has been out in bitterly cold weather numerous times, and nothing has fallen off. On some of the Aston forums there are a couple of Aston owners from Scandinavia (where the temp has been known to get pretty low from time to time ) who, to the best of my knowledge, have never reported this problem either.

As far as horror stories are concerned, I have to say that I’d greatly prefer the risk of an occasional electrical glitch or door lock module failure on an Aston to the intermediate shaft failure and consequent catastrophically grenading M96 and M97 Porsche engines, along with the porous and/or structural engine block issues and failures, not to mention oval rear main seals. As a long-term Porsche fan and owner, I have to say Porsche should be severely embarrassed by these things. I know that most M96/97 engines won’t go BANG, but far too many of them have, and will. Hopefully, the new engine (997.2 - on) will prove to be a lot more worthy. I wonder if it will be raced, now that the Metzger engine is no more.

For anyone concerned about the reliability or durability of the current generation Astons, have a look at the AMOC forum and the Pistonheads forum – there is a lot of information there about the good and the bad. Overall, I think you’ll find that the vast majority have had excellent service from our Astons, and many are used daily in all kinds of weather. My car has been nearly flawless so far after almost 2.5 years, and the build quality appears to be truly superb.
Thanks for your input on your experiences with owning an Aston. I will definitely be lurking on those forums in order to further my research. Everyone may have been dreaming of Ferraris Lambos and Porsches when they were younger, but I have always had my eye on Astons. I even used to imagine going on a spirited drive in an Aston with the James Bond sound track playing in the background. Love the marque.

@Jasper I often forget about that lil aston.

Last edited by Inglorious; 02-15-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:25 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
...@Jasper I often forget about that lil aston.
We should all be so lucky.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
We should all be so lucky.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:40 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Italia is a better car no matter what..... I just don't like the fact that it doesn't come in manual.....

Old 02-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by m5_2010
Italia is a better car no matter what..... I just don't like the fact that it doesn't come in manual.....
Every car has its cons. For example, the Italia doesn't come in manual:P

Old 02-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by droppedclutch
Every car has its cons. For example, the Italia doesn't come in manual:P
Your cons might be a pro for someone else.

Personal preference. I prefer the dual clutch manual, to a single clutch manual.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Your cons might be a pro for someone else.

Personal preference. I prefer the dual clutch manual, to a single clutch manual.
Me too actually, I was just pointing it out to the other poster. I always am curious when people say that one car is better than the other "no matter what." If that were the case, then everybody would just own one car:P