Wow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:48 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Wow

Went to the launch on Thursday and drove it Friday.

I am so accustomed to other manufacturers making each new model, bigger heavier,more expensive and less engaging to drive [esp. BMW]. I was really impressed with the 991. It was an S without PDCC or sport exhaust and of course PDK (manual isn't avail. for a month or two apparently).

Even without the sport exhaust you still get a channel/tunnel from the interior to the intake which they started on the GTS panny. So it sounds like there is less soundproofing just in the back, but there isn't of course.

The car is more planted with fewer undulations going over uneven pavement. It really is impressive - particularly barreling into a bend with choppy pavement. The steering is great (you wouldn't know it is electronic if no one told you). They paired up my iPhone to demonstrate the wireless bluetooth audio- very cool. Most impressive is that all these benefits come with only one apparent drawback, which is the price increase. An S is seemingly a $110-120k proposition now and that does move it up a notch on the price scale in my book. I think the car will sell well initially, but I'm betting the world economy will have a bigger impact on sales in the next 2-3 years than the merit of the car itself.

I'm happy they didn't try to turn it into a 2 door panamera or quasi 928. It's still a 911. And it looks incredible - especially in white!

Regards,
Dr.

P.S. maybe its just me, but unlike my comparatively spartan 997.2, I just can't quite imagine tracking the 991. It's too pretty...?

Old 02-13-2012, 02:21 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Thanks for the write-up. Everyone I know personally that has driven the 991 says that it is better in so many ways. I know there are those with other opinions on the board, but I have been getting great feedback from folks I know that have driven them and have extensive experience in everything that Porsche offers (even guys who track a lot). Hopefully I will get a chance to drive one soon. I couldn't at the launch party I went to, but I will get to it as soon as possible.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:34 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
great review.
there are of course people who want it more raw and a bit more crazy.
i personally think, Porsche has delivered what the market wanted.
and that is a great daily companion, that is unmatched in combining incredible performance with great luxury and comfort.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:19 PM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
great review.
i personally think, Porsche has delivered what the market wanted.
and that is a great daily companion, that is unmatched in combining incredible performance with great luxury and comfort.
I totally agree having test driven the 991 on Saturday. I brought the wife with me to test drive the car and my wife doesn't like driving with me in my old Audi TT. From the experience in that car, she hates sports cars because she finds it so jerky and unpleasant. However, after taking the 991 for a drive, she went away liking the 991. She felt the seats were comfortable and even in sport plus mode with the stiffened suspension, she didn't find the bumps on the road overly unbearable. And the funny part, at one point, she was yelling at me to keep up with the other 2 cars in the driving event. We were well over the speed limit and I just didn't feel like getting thrown in jail so I let off. She was telling me to go faster. Apparently she didn't realize how fast we were going because the car is so smooth. Aside from the performance, the interior touches are really nice and are similar to our CTT which we really like. Sure this is a sports car, but this would also be a daily driver and for us, we'd want the creature comforts as well. For me, this car has dual personalities and performs great at both.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:29 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by No.92
...this car...dual personalities...
^^this, the perfect description imho!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=catchmyshadow;3455453]great review.

That's what the GT3 is for.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:52 PM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
[quote=Bruce;3455553]
great review.

Well, it doesn't look like it will be as raw and pure as in previous gens. Looks like they will take out the manual and only have PDK if this article is correct:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/13/2...anual-gearbox/

Old 02-13-2012, 07:01 PM
[quote=No.92;3455573]
Originally Posted by Bruce

Well, it doesn't look like it will be as raw and pure as in previous gens. Looks like they will take out the manual and only have PDK if this article is correct:

yeah, just read that as well, sad if true!
But regardless of the tranny, the next GT3 is still going to be one wicked beast!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
[quote=Bruce;3455553]
great review.

Guess I'm one of those people. I've seen the 991, but haven't driven it yet. When I read again and again how it's quieter, smoother, easier, how the wife who doesn't like sports cars likes it, how it's "like my Cayenne" I find it very discouraging.

Perhaps I liked 911s better when you did not need the GT3 version for it to be more raw and exciting. From the descriptions above, the 991 does sound a lot like a 928. The 928 is a fantastic car, but it's not a 911.

I am looking forward to driving it and seeing for myself, but much of what is undeniably impressive about the 991 may well make it less of the 911 that I want. And the GT3 may be PDK only If that's true, then no thanks, and no interest whatsoever.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 PM
I think a test drive in the 991 would change your assumptions of this new iteration of the 911. I will admit I don't have as much experience as you from what you have said but the 991 was a fun car to drive and the performance is undeniable. I would take this car any day of the week.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:42 AM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
[quote=No.92;3455573]
Originally Posted by Bruce

Highly unlikely, I think the PDK trans. might be offered on the 991 GT3 (it should be) but the odds of it being the only trans. is close to 0%, we'll have to wait a while to find out for sure.
I think if Porsche was going to offer PDK only it would be on the Carrera models not the GT3, goes against the basic DNA of the model.
I have a deposit on a 991 GT3 (manual) and I'm not worried about it.

Last edited by Bruce; 02-14-2012 at 06:55 AM.