Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 PM
klondike_kat is infamous around these parts
Your C2S doesn't happen to be a cab does it?

Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mostlyjames
Taking out a 991 for an overnight test drive tomorrow. Will order one if everything goes well after the test drive.
yay!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:20 PM
mostlyjames is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by EricP
yay!
yay!
Just brought it home (~20 miles) in traffic. The car has all the options except for the PASM... For some reason I liked the car A LOT more during my short test drive a couple weeks ago. Maybe I have to take it out for a "real drive" later today, but I'm not sold as of yet...

Some iphone pics...
(I'm reposting because the pics were upside down )

Need some help here... How do I upload pictures using Flikr?

Old 03-02-2012, 01:21 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Just brought it home (~20 miles) in traffic. The car has all the options except for the PASM... For some reason I liked the car A LOT more during my short test drive a couple weeks ago. Maybe I have to take it out for a "real drive" later today, but I'm not sold as of yet...

Some iphone pics...
You just picked it up and drove it in traffic - now you are declaring it to be not as good as last time??? Go drive it and get back to us.... NO TRAFFIC. Traffic is frustrating enough to make us hate everything around us. Wife, car, other humans

Go engage the tail, hit the sport button, PSE, and get on an on-ramp.

Let us know. FWIW I put the 300th mile on mine today and I declare it the best car I've ever owned. It's a freak show.

Last edited by EricP; 03-02-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Is the Burmeister as good as Bang and Olufsen? I have B&O in my S class and A4 and I love it! (Even though the B&O in the A4 is not nearly as crisp as the system in the S). I'm not a big audio guy, so Bose might be enough... Hmm...
Burmester is on a completely different level than B&O. No comparison.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Stupid upside down pictures...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75695850@N07/6801055046/

Attached Images   
Old 03-02-2012, 01:31 PM
flipped

Attached Images   
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 PM
flipped
How did you do it?!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:36 PM
How did you do it?!
Depends on if you use a mac or pc. If you use a mac, I opened them with preview.app, hit command-L twice, and saved them upright. Then posted.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah I'm on a mac as well. Thanks!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Yeah I'm on a mac as well. Thanks!
Preview.app is built in - it's the image editing utility/PDF viewer as you know. The mac's "upright" metadata isn't always the same as the forum software metadata reader Sometimes you gotta "touch" them in the software. They might have even looked right on your mac but the internet thought otherwise. Just take them in there - if they are upright, fine, just hit command-S to save.

Cheers.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:25 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
As per Porsche, they are selling more 997 since the 991 came out. I have a 997.2 Targa 4S and they are very similar cars in character. That might change if I tracked the car the but that is not the case..... GTS is still a Porsche and it is thoroughly tested for reliability... 991 is new...

Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Ahhhhh...

Just came back from my 60 mile drive in the 991 in rain... I want to love this car, but for some reason it just doesn't feel right. Maybe its the combination of rain and bad PA roads. I'm taking the car back to the dealership tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I can like it more on the drive there, because I really want to get a 911...

Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:35 AM
OpinionatedOne is infamous around these parts
I walked into the dealership today to buy a 2011 997 GTS with 6500 miles on it for $96,000. Drove the 991 C2S ($114,000), couldn't get myself to buy the GTS. Drove back home in my Audi...

The leasing numbers only differed $300/month. What should I do? Is the $96,000 a good deal? The sticker was $117,000 but it has 6,500 miles on it. My test drive wasn't very long, but in the corners, the 991 seemed significantly more stable.

What do you guys think? Should I just order a 991 to my specs?
To the OP: (James?). I've been in a similar situation as you, not once, but twice... so I'll chime in with my experiences. Way back in 1998 I bought my first Porsche, a 1999 Carrera 2- the first of an all-new generation. At the time, I loved Porsches, but knew little about the fine details or history of 911's and the Porsche brand. Back then, there was no way that you would have convinced me to take a 1998 993, even if it were offered at a discount. Now that I have been "enlightened", I wish that I had bought a 993 model. Iconic. Last of the air-cooled. Better quality. Rarer. Worse-performing, yes, but the 996 isn't that stellar either. Add in the dreaded RMS issue with early 996's, and I really wish I had gone for the older, proven model.

For the last 2 years, I've been looking at cars in Taipei, where I spend most of my time. Cars here have severe import tax, and as a result they are about twice the cost of the U.S., meaning, it was a very important decision for me to pick the right car. After narrowing my choices to a GT-R, new model 650i, and 911, I decided on another 911. After perusing options for a while, my dealer let me know of a 'special' GTS edition coming to Taiwan, of which only 10 were to be imported into Taipei for 2012.

I knew all along that the 991 model was going to debut soon, and that it had practically the same power with lower weight. More importantly though, I knew that Porsche, in this day and age, would create a better car. I knew the 991 would be better than the 997 in performance and aesthetics. But, I still bought my GTS. Why? The 997 is proven. 8 years of production. When I drive my 996 hard, I wonder if the engine is going to explode. In my 997 I drive the hell out of it, and have no worries. I also liked that the GTS is "special". I love the GTS line of Porsche cars, because they are more subdued than the Turbo and GT variants, but offer enough performance for city driving and the occasional canyon run (no real racetracks in Taiwan). I love the wide body, and I love the way the good-in-no-way-other-than-looks-center-locks on the wheels look. But most importantly, I was impatient, and decided to get the GTS, because I wanted the car NOW.

Yesterday, I took my GTS to the dealer for its first oil change, and had the opportunity to see the 991 (both C2 and C2S) for the first time in real life. I love the front-end, don't like the back or wing, think the roof looks squished down, and hardly notice that the rear wheels have been moved a large amount. The interior is much nicer than the 997. I just don't get it when people say that the 991 interior is too luxurious. Porsche made the 991 lighter, yet also made the interior nicer. What's wrong with a nicer interior when the car still sheds 100 pounds? If I purposely wanted a spartan, non-luxuruous interior I'd have gotten a GT-R or Corvette.

Now, both 991's I saw were press cars, so I wasn't allowed to drive them. But clearly, the only way to decide which drives better is to drive them both for yourself. And as far as the money issue, I'm going to be a little blunt and maybe overstep my boundaries, but... from your sig it seems like you do okay for yourself. Obviously we all work hard for our money, but in the grand scheme of things, 5, 10, or 15K USD doesn't mean that much when you are talking about a 100K car, especially when we work so hard for our money. I mean, it's our happiness. Don't let a (relatively speaking) small amount of money stand in the way of getting what you want.

So my advice? Get the 991. Back at the turn of the century, Porsche was a troubled company with 1 model line, and they needed to "mass-produce" the 996 and share lots of body parts with the Boxster so they could turn a profit. It worked (at the expense of people like me who bought early 996's), and now Porsche turns out great cars. In a lot of ways, I used my past experiences to tell myself I wanted a 997 over a 991, just as today I wish I had bought an older 993 versus a newer 996. That argument makes no sense today as Porsche is now a successful company with several great model lines, and I'm kicking myself for being impatient. You are blessed with the ability to make the right choice, as both cars are available now.

I'm confident that the 991 will be a great car, even though it is new. There are great warranties these days, and I don't think there is anything to worry about with the 991 being a new generation. After speaking with my dealer, it turns out a well-equipped 991 (similar to my GTS, with PDK, sport chrono, locking diff., adaptive sport seats, bose stereo, alcantara, paddle-shift wheel, etc etc), is very similar price-wise to my GTS. They have offered to take back my GTS and sell me a 991 for about 30% of what I paid for my GTS (which has 3000KM). I'm considering the offer, but 95% chance will not do it.

I could go on for pages and pages about how I love my GTS. It's the greatest car I've ever owned and I love every aspect of the car. But, given the chance to redo, I'd wait for the 991. Bottom line advice for you? Pretend both cars cost the same and get whichever one you like more, which logically will probably be the 991.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:36 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
^^ If it makes you feel any better, i owned a 993 for 4 years and as good as it seemed at the time, after stepping out of the 993 into a new 996, the 993 was an absolute dinosaur. 996 was better everywhere...so much more capable. You missed nothing....except a taste of nostalgia....and thats not being disrespectful to 993 as it was a great car on its day.

Stepping out of 996 into 997 was another huge leap forward, and for anyone to say different is talking with their wallet in the way.

Re OP's choice between used 997 or new 991, I agree with you totally that 991 is the best way forward. To buy a used 997 at this stage in the cycle would logically indict $ are an issue, which is nothing to be ashamed about as not everyone who wants a 911 can afford a new one. There are plenty of guys in 993's 996's and 997's that are perfectly happy still however, it is never wise to drive a car that cannot be afforded. It can spoil your existing ownership experience and can also bring out excuses and justification against the newer car....as seen on this forum already.

Last edited by speed21; 03-03-2012 at 06:08 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S