Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
No acrimony from me, we're just guys talking about cars. I just don't understand why you would express such a strong opinion on the 991 (vs 997) before driving it. It amounts to an argument based on speculation and hearsay, given that we're mainly debating how the driving experience of the two cars compares.
No acrimoney eh? Hmmmm. Well manifold i guess my past 18 years owning Porsches, along with my lifetime involvement in the motor industry on all facets has just made me one big clueless fan boy to you. Some that know me well have said i was born in a car.....maybe they are right. I don't feel the need to justify my position for posting what I have, as the qualifications i have used were specifically derived from those who have professionally tested the two cars, along with the many members here on 6 that have driven, or now own the car.

Reading back on my posts my comments have all been very clear to their origins. Maybe some of you guys need to go back over them. There was never any "revelation" that i hadn't driven one at this stage. Never said i had. It seems now though, in a "fit of opportunity", certain folk (and instigated by yourself) are now choosing to sieze on that as an only weapon of defence against my posts.

However. Putting all that to one side. I can still securely rely upon the professional testing, and others first hand experiences, the majority which confirm the new car is substantially better. As i said, the content of my posts were perfectly clear to the origins of the information.

If i made error anywhere, it was misjudging just how sore (some) of you must really be about the new car. And for that i must appologise if i have rubbed those members up the wrong way by drawing their attention continually to the facts....as what has evidently occured here.

Those facts namely being that Porsche, a company with a history in motorsport and building the worlds finest sportscars, is now being suggested by some folk as having failed in their core area of expertise .

I also cited Porsches testing of the 991 at Nurburgring where the new 991 car has been quoted as being as fast as the current 997GT3.2. Buckwheat however evidently thinks this is all just make believe, fabricated by Porsche, going by his retorts to that post of mine. So here it is Porsche is now being claimed as BS the new 991 car can do that . Wow...Give me a break here.

Even at last nights release the Porsche representative that got on his soapbox to address the guests, proudly stated exactly the same thing: "The new 991 is as fast as the current GT3 car" around the famous Nurburgring. Claiming that as "an extraordinary feat" for Porsche. But I guess this is just all Porsche BS hey Buckwheat? Afterall nobody at Porsche gave 997GTS a fair chance did they? And they unscrupulously beat up on their own car just so they can sell the new 991 which they made a big mess out of. Isn't that how you see it Buckwheat? Or, did Porsche give the 997GTS its best shot on a hot wet muggy day . Which is it? Or, what would you like to hear? Let me know as i don't want to upset you any more than i evidently have.

However, regardless of the facts, my latest reward from yourself, Buckwheat and others for my pointing all this "BS" out is that I'm now a big Fan Boy with effectively no experience or knowledge with Porsche or their vehicles, or anything else for that matter. And all followed up by a cheer squad of those who don't subscribe to the thinking the new car is better than the old. Bravo guys. Hit old speed21 over the head with a big stick. That'll fix him up along with that pesky 991 .

As i said to you previously manifold. As every other iteration i've ever driven and owned has proven to be better, why would that suddenly change now? Or, are you saying i'm going to be in for a rude shock when i drive 991?

I've heard you mention nose bobbing as a beloved feature of 911. Well my take on that is if this trait is such a fabulous feature of 911 then why does everyone try dialing that out of their cars by doing suspension mods? Hmmm. Strange.

You also mention the size of the car. Well last night i couldn't feel the hugeness. All i could see was the lines of an exotic looking beauty.

I will pass a more detailed review on my impressions shortly when i have a bit more time tonight but let me finish for now by saying this. The new 991 sure has made the 997 look dated . Last night being my second look at the car certainly confirmed that. And if the new car has eliminated the nose bobbing and flightiness in the front end, then 991 has won me for sure. When I'm using 997 guys for traction on the track, watching them enjoy all that "lovely nose bobbing" as i tear past them in the corners, then i know who'll be smiling . And I'm not saying they won't be....just i'll be laughing and smiling .

More to come.... be patient.

Last edited by speed21; 03-06-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 PM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
what I can is this... the GTS is a great car. had one... not much over a 997s...that i do know.. i know i went by 997s's like they were standing still... we caught prepared gt3's heavily modified 996GT3's and tracked prepped 997 GT3's in a the 991 on street tires...
all the else is just conversation.... lol!!!!I like them both just like i loved my 930, 993 and 997.. and 996;s

I will say i may have had some Exp on some of them but still we were all in the instructor group...

Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Interesting.. so why is the new 991 so important?? Because Porsche says so or because it is NEW or?? As someone remarked , most of us earthlings are totally unable to drive even up to 50% of the capability of ANY good car. The reason I drive a Porsche is because the total package is ME and I am willing to pay the price to participate in the Club at the level I feel I want to commit. I want a DD that knocks my socks off IF and WHEN I want it and one that is docile enough to putter around the town most of the time. I want a car that can be repaired by most all of the serious Indie shops anywhere in my area IF need be. I do not feel the need to move up to the latest just because there is one and because the Owner's manual says it has another 5 HP on tap. That is just bragging rights and it is not worth the additional 30K dollars from the current 997 pricing for instance. So for the boys that need the toys, please go ahead. I believe the law of diminishing returns is telling all of you that it is becoming a rather expensive drug.

I am just interested in getting a feel from all these early adopters and big spenders. How many of you are actually buying the car versus leasing ... because you can not afford to buy it on a reasonable pay-off schedule.. Just sayin'... be honest .

Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 PM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by hroussard
Interesting.. so why is the new 991 so important?? Because Porsche says so or because it is NEW or?? As someone remarked , most of us earthlings are totally unable to drive even up to 50% of the capability of ANY good car. The reason I drive a Porsche is because the total package is ME and I am willing to pay the price to participate in the Club at the level I feel I want to commit. I want a DD that knocks my socks off IF and WHEN I want it and one that is docile enough to putter around the town most of the time. I want a car that can be repaired by most all of the serious Indie shops anywhere in my area IF need be. I do not feel the need to move up to the latest just because there is one and because the Owner's manual says it has another 5 HP on tap. That is just bragging rights and it is not worth the additional 30K dollars from the current 997 pricing for instance. So for the boys that need the toys, please go ahead. I believe the law of diminishing returns is telling all of you that it is becoming a rather expensive drug.

I am just interested in getting a feel from all these early adopters and big spenders. How many of you are actually buying the car versus leasing ... because you can not afford to buy it on a reasonable pay-off schedule.. Just sayin'... be honest .
bought/ traded the 997 GTS for... which i traded my 430 F1 ferrari for my GTS

Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 PM
if you discuss the leasing options or are worried about the depreciation of the car or any of the other bull**** i have heard on the forums ... you dont need the car or shouldn't consider one!

Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 930man
i know i went by 997s's like they were standing still... we caught prepared gt3's heavily modified 996GT3's and tracked prepped 997 GT3's in a the 991 on street tires...all the else is just conversation.... lol!!!!I like them both just like i loved my 930, 993 and 997.. and 996;s
I like the 997.2 and know it has a great pedigree on the track. For a stock car, this is an impressive statement about the 991 when driven by an experienced driver!

Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
speed21,

You assert that the 991 is 'better', but it all hinges on what we mean by better. In some key respects related to performance, yes, it's objectively better, but when it comes to subjective driving enjoyment, there's plenty of valid disagreement. That's not something you can judge until you drive it, regardless of your background with 911s and other cars. I'm not saying that you claimed to have driven it, but your repeated praise of the car suggested that you had, which is why I asked in order to verify.

Also, let's not exaggerate the bobbing of the nose. It's a subtle effect, IMO a delightful one which is essential to a 911, which helps to communicate where the load of the car is, not a reflection of instability. For the same reason, I might not get PDCC either.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by gleek48
I like the 997.2 and know it has a great pedigree on the track. For a stock car, this is an impressive statement about the 991 when driven by an experienced driver!
true

Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 PM
carcommander is infamous around these parts
All Porsches are great cars. I have had many and enjoyed all of them. It is fun to have the latest and greatest but it doesn't make the older ones POSs. I bet someone is enjoying my 87 targa now. My 991 is now my favorite but it will get traded for a 991 turbo in a couple of years. I kept my 993 for 11 years.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:54 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
if you discuss the leasing options or are worried about the depreciation of the car or any of the other bull**** i have heard on the forums ... you dont need the car or shouldn't consider one!
Exactly!!!

Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 PM
And that ( no leasing etc) would cut the customerlist down by more than 50%. And that is my point!!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Waxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Manifold
speed21,

You assert that the 991 is 'better', but it all hinges on what we mean by better. In some key respects related to performance, yes, it's objectively better, but when it comes to subjective driving enjoyment, there's plenty of valid disagreement. That's not something you can judge until you drive it, regardless of your background with 911s and other cars. I'm not saying that you claimed to have driven it, but your repeated praise of the car suggested that you had, which is why I asked in order to verify.

Also, let's not exaggerate the bobbing of the nose. It's a subtle effect, IMO a delightful one which is essential to a 911, which helps to communicate where the load of the car is, not a reflection of instability. For the same reason, I might not get PDCC either.

Bingo! These points are also echoed by Evo in there recent comparison testing. I'd say they have a little experience in the auto industry too. Wouldn't you?

Also, lets not make believe there are no and will be no 997s passing 991s at open track either or other track events. The difference is not that huge. To suggest so makes you lose credibility.

Again, I'll wait for independent testing at the Ring before I buy Porsche claims. They certainly have an axe to grind. Once again Motor Trend figure 8 times only showed a 0.2 second difference between the GTS and 991.

Last edited by Waxer; 03-06-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:53 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
thanks...good find
Good find alright. Thanks. Shheeeshh! As if i needed any more ammo..

Guys. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but i don't think that either of you bothered to read this link prior to linking it up and associating it to my behaviour. You guys REALLY need to read this.
They say Fanboyism is a term associated to person/s that stand up/defending what they own in favour of the item they don't, constantly rationalising their decision why they bought that item in favour of the item they didn't. Wow. This is both you guys to a "T".

So linking this, saying it's applicable to me is faulty thinking because I am doing exactly the opposite. I am admitting (owning up to) what i have is not as good as the item i don't own.....counter rationalising your constant rationalising.

Therefore if i'm suffering from any condition it could only be logically refered to as ANTI-FANBOYISM.

May i suggest the next time you handle a grenade of this nature, discarding the pin, that you please make sure to throw it away from yourselves.

Last edited by speed21; 03-06-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by arthurk
Yes plenty of champagne flowing but the food was lacking

Obviously we werent there for the drinks and nibblies but they have ballsed up the launch cars for Australia. The Germans in their ultimate wisdom did not package Sports Chrono on ANY of the cars and pretty much only added the PSE to the base delivery of both the C and C2S. As I mentioned earlier my wife works in the auto industry and she found it lack lustre. Conscidering it was held at the head office of PCA you would think they could have executed better. For instance the bag of goodies included:

a 991 model
a model range catalogue of the 997 - WTF?
a brochure on yet again the 997
a Wheels Magazine compilation of various press articles

It just looked half baked and poor planning with poor execution. This sort of stuff should not occur. Even when they pulled the curtains back on the cars they forgot to do little things like fold out the mirrors, have sun roofs closed on all vehicles, no spoilers up. All the showy stuff was just wrong.

Maybe I am too critical but they definately didnt do the car justice. I approached the national sales manager and said to him WTF no SC? He looked at me and simply replied - You dont need it in this car. I basically turned around and said to him, dont give me the company line what went wrong. He finally confessed that upstairs stuffed up and the orders were all wrong for the launch cars.

Apart from the little stuff ups it was good to see the car in person. Oh the only two cars that had SC were the press cars but no one can drive them, they are off limits
Hi ArthurK. Thanks for the heads up. My wife was reading it to me whilst enroute to last nights event.

Anyway just to give you the scoop, it seems Sydney cleaned up on everything Melbourne didn't get. What did you guys do wrong down there? I mean we got cars with SC (2 x black/black, 1 x white/black, 1 x silver/black, 1 x grey black). Food was abundant....way way too much actually.... a lot went to waste, same with all the sweets, grog you name it. Plenty. And there was a fairly large crowd too. The showbags had the 991 model, wheels mag. 991 product catalogue and latest line up of Porsches models. So why you guys got 997 stuff is .

Mate i would be complaining about this if what you say is correct....which i'm sure it is. They had a sensational live band. Awsome. The only bad thing which was a little dissapointing was the venue which although quite nice was not on the harbour front as all the others have been. So the atmostphere of overlooking the harbour and water was sadly missing unfortunately. Quite strange for a new 911 release.....probably a sign of the times.

The general sentiment on the night from the people i spoke with was many loved the car but all commented Porsche really needs to get real with the pricing. Yeh and we don't know that already . But generally the car was very well recieved, the only real neg comments being about the inability to see the engine, which we know is a shame but obviously unavoidable it would appear.

cheers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S