Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
OK... read most of the posts here and have to say that a lot of them are just a straight up 991 bashing fest.

I find it amazing that so many have descended upon the 991 section seemingly to justify why they will not be getting the 991, do you really think someone who just got (or ordered) a brand new shinny 991 toy is going to care?
No... just like a 997 owner doesn't care about why a 996 owner is sticking with his!
Yes, yes they are "opinions" but many of them are inflammatory, rude and inappropriate (outside of the off topic section at least).

I find the conduct of some 6speed members here "troll" like, if the 996 crowd would have done this in the 997 section... there'd be hell to pay!
But because there aren't enough 991 section members yet it seems to have turned into a mud slinging fest.
BTW let me point out that this 991 bashing started way before anyone had ever driven the 991...
It's one thing to be critical, point out pro's-con's, start a dialog etc. or state personal preferences but this...

I come on this section to get info, share passion, excitement and benefit from the insights of people like 930man et all.
What's going on here is not just inappropriate, it's an embarrassment to Porsche lovers seeing 911 owners rip into each other like this...

My 0.2 cents.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:18 AM
OpinionatedOne is infamous around these parts
Funny how a thread originally intended to help a forum member make the right choice for his car has turned into a pissing contest.

I'm sure that everyones' opinions are appreciated at least on some level... but let's return to reality... we're arguing about whether a 408 HP modern Porsche is better than a 400 HP slightly-more-modern Porsche. If only the other 99.99% of the world population were so lucky as us "rich guys" to be pointlessly arguing about our toys. Enjoy what you have- leave it at that.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:29 AM
arthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nice
Originally Posted by speed21
Hi ArthurK. Thanks for the heads up. My wife was reading it to me whilst enroute to last nights event.

Anyway just to give you the scoop, it seems Sydney cleaned up on everything Melbourne didn't get. What did you guys do wrong down there? I mean we got cars with SC (2 x black/black, 1 x white/black, 1 x silver/black, 1 x grey black). Food was abundant....way way too much actually.... a lot went to waste, same with all the sweets, grog you name it. Plenty. And there was a fairly large crowd too. The showbags had the 991 model, wheels mag. 991 product catalogue and latest line up of Porsches models. So why you guys got 997 stuff is .

Mate i would be complaining about this if what you say is correct....which i'm sure it is. They had a sensational live band. Awsome. The only bad thing which was a little dissapointing was the venue which although quite nice was not on the harbour front as all the others have been. So the atmostphere of overlooking the harbour and water was sadly missing unfortunately. Quite strange for a new 911 release.....probably a sign of the times.

The general sentiment on the night from the people i spoke with was many loved the car but all commented Porsche really needs to get real with the pricing. Yeh and we don't know that already . But generally the car was very well recieved, the only real neg comments being about the inability to see the engine, which we know is a shame but obviously unavoidable it would appear.

cheers.
Good to see that Sydney got it right. Considering the dealership is factory owned that held the event it was a true ***** up. Pricing wise well what can I say that hasn't already been said? My build will end up mid $350K for a C2S Cab now at that price I can get back into a 997.2TT Cab. To be honest I would do that over the 991 at this point in time. I am driving the car on Tuesday, looking forward to it. The biggest issue is sticking with the brand I have loved since I was a kid or jumping ship to a AM or god forbid Maserati.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by arthurk
My build will end up mid $350K for a C2S Cab now at that price I can get back into a 997.2TT Cab. To be honest I would do that over the 991 at this point in time. I am driving the car on Tuesday, looking forward to it. The biggest issue is sticking with the brand I have loved since I was a kid or jumping ship to a AM or god forbid Maserati.
Wow 350K... that's a lot of dough for a 991

Funny enough because of price hike in the 991 I too looked into the Benz.
I already have a few Benz's and love the brand so I checked out the new SL and a slightly used SLS roadster as well as the Aston Martin and the Masarati.
All have their appeal but none did for me what the 991 did... just blew my socks off .

Make sure you put it in sport+ mode and give it the beans... especially when coming out of a corner, man that thing is a blast!

Old 03-07-2012, 01:03 AM
arthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nice
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Wow 350K... that's a lot of dough for a 991

Funny enough because of price hike in the 991 I too looked into the Benz.
I already have a few Benz's and love the brand so I checked out the new SL and a slightly used SLS roadster as well as the Aston Martin and the Masarati.
All have their appeal but none did for me what the 991 did... just blew my socks off .

Make sure you put it in sport+ mode and give it the beans... especially when coming out of a corner, man that thing is a blast!
I totally agree about it being nuts. Not much of an option though. When 40% of the price is tax. So with the government stinging us, wealso have PCA stinging a further 10% price hike even though the AUD vs EUR is up 30% since this car went into development. The way they work budgets out would have been on speculation 3 years ago and I doubt they would have predicted a 30% appreciation of AUD.

Saw my first SLS the other day very nice but at $600K plus a bit out of my league.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:37 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I'd get a new gts, dealers are discounting them deeply. Saw one at 17k off.
re the comments about the chassis, the more advanced they get, the more numb they become.
my last 911 was a 2011 tts, very fast, very numb. I actually went old school with a 930 as my weekend toy, dumping the tts. No more 100k DDs for me.
Chris. Glad to hear you chime in. OK. You claim your TTS was "numb", which i suspect was primarily due to the PDK gearbox, when you were essentially a manual guy at heart. OK. I fully understand that as I'm a manual guy too. So OK. Your next move is to sell the TTS for a Panamera C4S PDK. Wow Not sure what on earth motivated that decision but OK, lets just smile and say it's a free world. But what is the point you are really trying to make here with the 997GTS? Or am i to guess that a Panamera C4S is a better car than a TTS and, a 991 and a 997GTS? You evaded answering me last time, for whatever reason, which i thought was strange, border lining rude actually. But i excused that as you seem to evade everyones questions and stay silent. Odd. No offence but isn't that being a bit rude to your 6 mates? What is going on, and where is your argument with GTS vs 991? Word up.

Originally Posted by 930man
930man is a beginner !
You are not alone. speed21 is a beginner too But something tells me I'm gonna like 991. A lot. And 991tt/GT3 a hell of a lot.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:27 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
I'm surprised that you've been arguing so emphatically for the 991 (over the 997) without even having driven it. Now, after you drive it, you'll be biased, at least unconsciously, to report that you love it.
OK just to finalise and catch up on all last nights beatings on the your quote "fanboy" mr speed21....me.

Let me begin..

Wow revolutionary! And precluding what my report will be too. Yep, text book fanboyism at its best....going by your own link on fanboyism. Now if that wasn't a foot shooting exercise posting that link against me, i don't know what is. Sure hope you boys have learned a lesson from that.ie always read before you link and attach to someone.

Originally Posted by buckwheat986
"Fanboyism" at it's best.
Yep. Gotcha on that one BW. Btw. Did i hear a grenade explode somewhere. Do you need an ambulance? JK.

Originally Posted by Squat
I just want to ask people. So where do you drive that you need to use the car at 9/10ths on a daily basis? We seem to have a rash of professional drivers here. Im guessing a pro driver would thrash you with a 993 in your 991. So for daily driving you REALLY need to do these comparos?

Frankly the 911 body is what drew me to the brand. Speed21 to comment on the body makes me think you would never sit in a 993 or 930. Kinda sad when people start to nit pick at a body still that porsche has tried so had to keep the same.......
Speed21 has owned all these cars you speak of but can accept reality when the grandmaster Porsche delivers a new baby. And where are we going to use a car 9 10ths? You speak as if you can actually drive yet you ask such question. Don't trouble yourself thinking how the next porsche owner intends driving their car. We all don't drive centre lane in peak hour traffic.

thanks...good find
Yep a real find alright. Did i say that already

Originally Posted by Squat
You are kidding me. You just compared the 997 to a pigs ear, talking about a chassis you have NEVER driven? Did someone at the dealer give you a bottle of 24yo Scotch?
People that make these comments make me laugh. I fish bass tournaments, who cares but the point is my boat runs 80+ mph while most everyone else is 65-72. Everytime I turn around they go on and on about the improvements to the ride of their brand, then they get in mine.

Corvette still makes sick power with its POS pushrod system.

You Fanbois make me laugh so hard. YOU ARE FREAKING LAYPEOPLE. YOU ARE NOT PROFESSIONAL Drivers. So ANY comments about a chassis you have NEVER driven, are as useful as **** on a bull. You have zero credibility and other than what your salesman whom most likely just finished a video on it and can throw out a few buzzwords has told you, you are clueless.

Now if a GT ALMS DTM etc driver comes on here and starts telling me how badly I would need a 991 for daily driving.... maybe JUST MAYBE I will listen.
What Porsche is also doing is creating a reason to increase the pricing. Keep on though. I need the laughs. Maybe you can extoll me on the virtues of different ****pit systems and which scalpels are best too. You know you sat in a plane once so you need to be in the best, or took a splinter out so you are now the expert on surgeryhilario us
Shame you are not squat. In fact shame you have no respect full stop. Like the true drovers dog that bites the very hand that feeds it. A real loose canon. You come into 6 speed as a new member, manage to rack up a string of neg reps in just a matter of posts. Me on the other hand see your sorry assed predicament, try giving you the heads up on how to survive, in that process rids you of your red battle scars, replacing them with 2 greens and now you come in to dump on me like I'm some piece of ****, as if you actually know something. Oh wow! So you own a boat! Can i brag about my boat too :roll eyes: while playing the hero to the baying crowd. You're a real class act man. Blowing in just to lay the boot in on me with such a barage of verbal diarrhoea. You are pathetic. In fact I'm handing you to the mods so don't expect me to waste time neg repping your sorry *** as your not worth it. If the mods want to let you go on as the loose cannon you are then so be it. But for me your not worth it. Your a disgrace in my books. I'm sure certain members that dislike my pointing out certain facts against their point of view will prop you with reps but hopefully there are some long standing members out there that will read your disrespectful post and deal with you accordingly. And where negs are concerned you definitely deserve sh1tloads, if not just for me but the way you behaved with Softronic and on other threads. Pathetic. Fancy moaning about paying for a $300.00 cable in one breath and in the next tossing off about owning an 80k boat and owning a Porsche 997 turbo....sheesh. Are you sure you even own a boat and a Porsche? 300.00. Sheesus. I still can't believe that. When i saw the way you carried on about Softronic i knew i had made a big mistake helping you out.... but hey I'm human.

Anyway squat (geat name btw....out here that means to take a dump/crap) have a nice life...and for god sakes get yourself a muzzle. And stay away from me....or i won't be so kind next time.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:44 AM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by hroussard
And that ( no leasing etc) would cut the customerlist down by more than 50%. And that is my point!!
probably!

Old 03-07-2012, 04:57 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Good find alright. Thanks. Shheeeshh! As if i needed any more ammo..

Guys. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but i don't think that either of you bothered to read this link prior to linking it up and associating it to my behaviour. You guys REALLY need to read this.
They say Fanboyism is a term associated to person/s that stand up/defending what they own in favour of the item they don't, constantly rationalising their decision why they bought that item in favour of the item they didn't. Wow. This is both you guys to a "T".

So linking this, saying it's applicable to me is faulty thinking because I am doing exactly the opposite. I am admitting (owning up to) what i have is not as good as the item i don't own.....counter rationalising your constant rationalising.

Therefore if i'm suffering from any condition it could only be logically refered to as ANTI-FANBOYISM.

May i suggest the next time you handle a grenade of this nature, discarding the pin, that you please make sure to throw it away from yourselves.
I didn't call you a fanboy. Out of curiosity, I Googled the term after it was mentioned, and shared a link I found interesting. Everyone can form their own opinion about who the term applies to or not.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:05 AM
Banned
I didn't call you a fanboy. Out of curiosity, I Googled the term after it was mentioned, and shared a link I found interesting. Everyone can form their own opinion about who the term applies to or not.
Fair enough. I hold no hard feelings against any of you guys (excepting mr dump/squat/****).....all fun in love and war as they say. But when you read the link it's easily interpreted i.e. no ambiguity....so that said may i politely say it wasn't your best move on the chessboard putting it up.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:08 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
OK... read most of the posts here and have to say that a lot of them are just a straight up 991 bashing fest.

I find it amazing that so many have descended upon the 991 section seemingly to justify why they will not be getting the 991, do you really think someone who just got (or ordered) a brand new shinny 991 toy is going to care?
No... just like a 997 owner doesn't care about why a 996 owner is sticking with his!
Yes, yes they are "opinions" but many of them are inflammatory, rude and inappropriate (outside of the off topic section at least).

I find the conduct of some 6speed members here "troll" like, if the 996 crowd would have done this in the 997 section... there'd be hell to pay!
But because there aren't enough 991 section members yet it seems to have turned into a mud slinging fest.
BTW let me point out that this 991 bashing started way before anyone had ever driven the 991...
It's one thing to be critical, point out pro's-con's, start a dialog etc. or state personal preferences but this...

I come on this section to get info, share passion, excitement and benefit from the insights of people like 930man et all.
What's going on here is not just inappropriate, it's an embarrassment to Porsche lovers seeing 911 owners rip into each other like this...

My 0.2 cents.
I don't see it that way at all.

The introduction of new 911 is a huge car event, and especially huge Porsche event, so it's going to generate lively discussion. Even more so when some people consider it a step in the wrong direction, away from what makes the 911 special.

As far as the 'bashing', I agree that criticizing (or praising) the car before driving it is premature, but most people who criticize the car have driven it, acknowledge its strengths, and many (including me) have even said that they may still eventually get one, though possibly a different variant such as a turbo or GT3, etc.

BTW, I don't mind one bit if people criticize my cars. I know what I have, why I bought them, and what I like and dislike about them. My cars aren't me (or a family member), so I don't take any of it personally.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
If we are going to speak about the 991 bashing lets not forget what the pro guys have to say about the 997 and its owners.

If you criticize the 991 its because (as a 997 owner) you can't afford it and your jealous or your against progress of any type. And you can rest assure that anyone 997 owner would gladly change their minds once a 991 was in their garage.

For others 991 owners its all about the thrill of the 0-60 rush. Will we still bash the corvette owner like in years past?

Also your 997 is too slow since its not as fast as a GT3 on the ring, it doesn't handle at all because it understeers too much and is not planted.

Oh and lets not forget your 997 is suddenly worthless.

Many of these comments from people haven't driven the 991 or taken one or two test drives and have no long term experience with the car.

And the other thing that makes me laugh, most of the guys bashing the 997 guys keep saying..."wait till the 991 gt3 or turbo version is here..." why wait? Because they want more of a drivers experience.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:00 AM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
If we are going to speak about the 991 bashing lets not forget what the pro guys have to say about the 997 and its owners.

If you criticize the 991 its because (as a 997 owner) you can't afford it and your jealous or your against progress of any type. And you can rest assure that anyone 997 owner would gladly change their minds once a 991 was in their garage.

For others 991 owners its all about the thrill of the 0-60 rush. Will we still bash the corvette owner like in years past?

Also your 997 is too slow since its not as fast as a GT3 on the ring, it doesn't handle at all because it understeers too much and is not planted.

Many of these comments from people haven't driven the 991 or taken one or two test drives and have no long term experience with the car.

And the other thing that makes me laugh, most of the guys bashing the 997 guys keep saying..."wait till the 991 gt3 or turbo version is here..." why wait? Because they want more of a drivers experience.
I remember getting all kinds of crap for buying a 997... its a 1st gen you will have problems... etc... blah blah...

Old 03-07-2012, 06:47 AM

Well said, this summarizes a lot of points. 997 guys are getting at least as much bashing as 991 guys, based on presumptions about jealously, regret, etc.

Guys, I suggest that we stick to discussing the cars and their pros and cons, rather than speculating about people's psychological motives.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Well said, this summarizes a lot of points. 997 guys are getting at least as much bashing as 991 guys, based on presumptions about jealously, regret, etc.

Guys, I suggest that we stick to discussing the cars and their pros and cons, rather than speculating about people's psychological motives.
sounds good to me...and as such I am going to start another thread about the pros and cons of PDCC

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S